Author Topic: Is it just me or did you think so too? (Graveyard)  (Read 17894 times)

Offline Eternal_Eyeballs

• Up From The Grave
Is it just me or did you think so too? (Graveyard)
« on: February 27, 2007, 09:17:35 am »
I'm new here to the boards, I've been a KD fan for years now, but going back and listening to Graveyard again and really getting into the story, is it just me or do you kinda feel sorry for the guy who got locked up? Yeah he's a psycho, but at the end I'm kinda pissed that the mayor got away free after molesting Lucy, but our "tragic hero" ends up as an undead head, never to find peace.

Offline Eternal_Eyeballs

• Up From The Grave
Re: Is it just me or did you think so too? (Graveyard)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:50:38 pm »
Did I piss somebody off? Nobody at all has any answers? I know I'm not a regular here, but come'on somebody's gotta have 2 minutes to spare to answer this, I've got no other KD fans around here to talk to.

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:04:05 pm »
I like the ending of "The Graveyard" because in reality there are not always happy endings. The scumbags quite often get away with what they do and the innocent or good people (although maybe different in some way) often get screwed. This is how I see the ending of the graveyard, and in real life there are all kinds of scumbags getting away with things.
In fact, all of KDs stories have a bad ending, dont they?
Also I really like the ending of the "Puppet Master", the main character loses his love forever and is stuck on the wall with a "nail through his throat" with nothing he can do about it. This is like some real situations in where a love is lost due to some unfortunate situation and you are powerless to do anything about it. "Stuck on the wall with a nail through your throat".

Offline lightninfeet

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Pirate
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:18:24 pm »
I like the ending of "The Graveyard" because in reality there are not always happy endings. The scumbags quite often get away with what they do and the innocent or good people (although maybe different in some way) often get screwed. This is how I see the ending of the graveyard, and in real life there are all kinds of scumbags getting away with things.
Also I really like the ending of the "Puppet Master", the main character loses his love forever and is stuck on the wall with a "nail through his throat" with nothing he can do about it. This is like some real situations in where a love is lost due to some unfortunate situation and you are powerless to do anything about it. "Stuck on the wall with a nail through your throat".

+1
The new Seeing Seven album "Genesis III" out now! www.seeingseven.com

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 05:37:21 am »
King's stories rarely have happy endings. :) Wrong forum BTW. Edit: Not anymore :D:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:25:55 am by Tri Landau »

Offline coven13

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 02:07:57 pm »
the graveyard in my opinion it´s the best ending of all the king diamond´s albums

and i don´t feel sorry for the guy, at the end he will be with "lucy forever"

A big hell.. o to all the dimonds bangers around the (under)world

Offline Eternal_Eyeballs

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 03:22:22 pm »
I'm well aware of the lack of happy endings here. I guess I just have a thing for tragic anti-heroes. Kinda like Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime 2. I felt bad for Niki having to die at the end. Same thing with the psycho inmate. Wrongfully accused and imprisoned, and I'm eager to see him kill the mayor, then he dies at the end. I can't wait to see the next album though. Due this spring isn't it?

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 03:58:14 pm »
I´ve also felt sorry for the guy in THE GRAVEYARD!! Sure he was a totally Psycho but who is responsible for that? I think the mayor! But I love all the bad endings of the King Diamond stories!!

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 11:42:34 pm »

The Eye is kind of neutral, isn't it? I mean, the main character just comes back to modern times. Oh, and the corrupt Father Picard dies just before too. :)

But even with the majority of his stories ending negatively, they're still very unpredictable, which is much better than any movie I've ever seen. You know, when the good guy always has to win to some extent, and you know it's going to happen.

Yeah, I do feel sorry the lunatic in The Graveyard, but if Lucy wants to be with her father, then...well, she's happy in the end, isn't she? As fucked up as that sounds, it seems like the truth. She kills the madman in order to save her father.

Offline 666miles

• Victimized
  • UP FROM THE GRAVE!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 06:41:36 am »
Yeah. I feel bad for him. The graveyard was my favorite album for a while.

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:18:26 pm »

The Eye is kind of neutral, isn't it? I mean, the main character just comes back to modern times. Oh, and the corrupt Father Picard dies just before too. :)

But even with the majority of his stories ending negatively, they're still very unpredictable, which is much better than any movie I've ever seen. You know, when the good guy always has to win to some extent, and you know it's going to happen.

Yeah, I do feel sorry the lunatic in The Graveyard, but if Lucy wants to be with her father, then...well, she's happy in the end, isn't she? As fucked up as that sounds, it seems like the truth. She kills the madman in order to save her father.

Yes, I think you are totally correct.

Your first point about "The Eye" - you are right there is not really any "bad" ending there as far as what I can tell.

Your second point about movies being predictable is very true for the majority of them, you often know whos gonna live and die.

Your third point is interesting. I think its somewhat true. I think that if you try to save a little girl from an abusive father or woman from abusive man for example, you may often get lashed out against by her because she may be loyal to the man!

Question: What would YOU do if you caught a man molesting or abusing a little girl similar to like what happened in "The Graveyard" story?

Offline Satan's Portrait

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 07:03:54 pm »
Your third point is interesting. I think its somewhat true. I think that if you try to save a little girl from an abusive father or woman from abusive man for example, you may often get lashed out against by her because she may be loyal to the man!

Question: What would YOU do if you caught a man molesting or abusing a little girl similar to like what happened in "The Graveyard" story?

Yeah, I was thinking about that too after I posted my third comment. Even through abuse, it would be difficult for Lucy to stop loving her father. But remember, she was also buried alive by the lunatic. Hell, I'd want my father too.

And if I caught a man molesting or abusing a little girl, there's various options to what I'd do. I wouldn't kidnap the girl though, that just...doesn't seem like a way to solve things at all.

Offline maarten.

• The mother of postwhores!
  • NCS Team
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 11:01:43 pm »
i always thought the lunatic was lucy's abuser...
he was neglectid and treated realy bad by his own father (see the song "Daddy") and became a madman
he abused lucy, the mayor find about about it, they locked him up and he became an even bigger lunatic and made his own story about what happend
he get free and wants to take revenge on the mayor
lucy kills the lunatic for all the things he did to her.
but she has some kind of band with him so she takes his head home.

ofcourse, i'm not sure this is the story king tells, but i've always felt it that way, but king let the lunatic tel the story so we will never know the real truth, and that's why i like this album so much :king:

Neffie's penguin's

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 11:13:16 pm »
^ Could be. Good point.

I think the beauty of poetry and song lyrics is that they can be interpreted in many different ways, and there is no right or wrong interpretation.

Good discusion going here.

Offline mario

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 11:40:14 pm »
always i thought that the lunatic had been a worker of the mayor, and when  he found the mayor abusing to his own daughter, the mayor accused him, blaming to him… I guess he was a normal person, but with so many pills and medicines that they gave him in the Black Hill Sanatorium, he become crazy, and this way he could not accuse to the mayor....

Offline Eternal_Eyeballs

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 11:50:21 am »

Hide out in a graveyard and dig seven graves, bury the little girl in one of them, then invite the man out to play a sick game of course...DUH !!!  :fingers:

Offline Eternal_Eyeballs

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 11:53:04 am »
i always thought the lunatic was lucy's abuser...
he was neglectid and treated realy bad by his own father (see the song "Daddy") and became a madman
he abused lucy, the mayor find about about it, they locked him up and he became an even bigger lunatic and made his own story about what happend
he get free and wants to take revenge on the mayor
lucy kills the lunatic for all the things he did to her.
but she has some kind of band with him so she takes his head home.

ofcourse, i'm not sure this is the story king tells, but i've always felt it that way, but king let the lunatic tel the story so we will never know the real truth, and that's why i like this album so much :king:

You know that's a really good point, I never looked at it from that angle before. I always looked at that song "Daddy" as being more of a looking back on the past of the lunatic. Maybe he was abused as a child and that's why he felt so strongly about getting revenge for Lucy. Maybe he was getting revenge for both of them by killing the mayor, in ephigy for his own father, and in real life for Lucy.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:56:45 am by Eternal_Eyeballs »

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 11:57:54 am »

Hide out in a graveyard and dig seven graves, bury the little girl in one of them, then invite the man out to play a sick game of course...DUH !!!  :fingers:
Haha, of course. Nice response.

Mario: I pretty much have that same/similar interpretation as what you described.

But we will never really know what King really had in mind when writing this stuff. (Which is good).

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 07:25:35 pm »
always i thought that the lunatic had been a worker of the mayor, and when  he found the mayor abusing to his own daughter, the mayor accused him, blaming to him… I guess he was a normal person, but with so many pills and medicines that they gave him in the Black Hill Sanatorium, he become crazy, and this way he could not accuse to the mayor....

Thats what I've always believed/got from it. The mayor having his level of power and public respect had him put away as a result. Lucy went with her daddy because regardless of what he did to her, he is still her father. She took the head because deep down she probably understood what the lunatic was trying to do. Still a twisted story, regardless which way you look at it.
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 09:59:08 pm »
That's whats so great about King's stories, they're "tragedies". Hollywood horror movies try to be tragedies by having the killer/monster/psycho come back at the the last second to set you up for a sequel, but King's tales almost always leave you with a feeling that the main character got a raw deal, very Sheakespearian.

Except for the Puppetmaster. That dude got what he deserved for falling in love...
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Satan's Portrait

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 12:44:45 am »
You know that's a really good point, I never looked at it from that angle before. I always looked at that song "Daddy" as being more of a looking back on the past of the lunatic. Maybe he was abused as a child and that's why he felt so strongly about getting revenge for Lucy. Maybe he was getting revenge for both of them by killing the mayor, in ephigy for his own father, and in real life for Lucy.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. So the lunatic couldn't have been Lucy's abuser. Then again, the lyrics to I'm Not A Stranger make me wonder....

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 10:05:56 pm »
 :king:Hello, It is I, The Graveyard? Has anyone not noticed that , the way I looked at it. This cd is a pregual to THEM. Read the lyrics and you will see what I mean.  :D
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 08:02:18 am »
:king:Hello, It is I, The Graveyard? Has anyone not noticed that , the way I looked at it. This cd is a pregual to THEM. Read the lyrics and you will see what I mean.  :D
man there was some good discussion on this some time ago. Some suspected that Lucy is actually Grandma..

Offline Satan's Portrait

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 04:28:36 pm »
I never thought that two stories connected at all. Even after reading the lyrics. But maybe I'm missing something.

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 01:07:04 pm »
I never thought that two stories connected at all. Even after reading the lyrics. But maybe I'm missing something.
Same here.