Author Topic: How and when did you guys got into King diamond and mercyful fate music?  (Read 30643 times)

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
Had heard of Mercyful fate and was taken by them when i was younger round abouts 85-87 but didnot know that King had his own band was with a girl who had fatal portrait and she played it i was like wait a minute i know this singer and sure enough it was our Beloved king from then on i started buying albums when i was old enough went to a few shows but yeah was into Kd and Mf from a young age and till this day remain as a true loyal fan like so many here.

Stay Heavy
Cool story \m/

Offline 747rick

• Uninvited Guest
I got into Mercyful Fate early, around 1983. One of my mates and I used to go to a record shop in London called 'Shades' which was near The Marquee Club when it was situated in Wardour Street. We saw Melissa there and both bought a copy. Have been a big fan of King ever since although I've unfortunately only managed to catch him live once in 1987. I always said that if I had children and was lucky enough to have a little girl she would be called Melissa. I was lucky enough and Melissa Abigail is now 7 years old and turning into a a little Metal Head  :fingers:

Offline txz045

• Spirit
Purchased 'The Eye' cassette tape back in the day.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
What sucks for me is that I have been a diehard fan of King's music for over 25 years now and all my friends that listen to metal just can't wrap them selves around King's vocals and they always say " Oh yea , the music is awesome but I just dont know about the singer " so I am left alone on my own little King Island becouse nobody else can appreciate Kings awesome range and vocal style. That's cool though , I can live with that and I do have the W.W.C. now  :D :king: :king: :king: \m/  I still make my neighbors listen though , they have no choice becouse I have the loudest home stereo on the street. :D
You're not alone my friend. I do have one or two buddies that like KD but they don't live anywhere near me. Most everyone else I have ever met thats into metal is the same way, they like the music but can't get around his singing style. I really don't get it, he's got such an amazing voice, blows me away that others can't hear that.

Oh, and I too also have the loudest stereo on the street and my neighbors also hate King Diamond! Muahahaha....what can I say they are all old farts with bad taste in music!   :fingers:

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
You're not alone my friend. I do have one or two buddies that like KD but they don't live anywhere near me. Most everyone else I have ever met thats into metal is the same way, they like the music but can't get around his singing style. I really don't get it, he's got such an amazing voice, blows me away that others can't hear that.

Oh, and I too also have the loudest stereo on the street and my neighbors also hate King Diamond! Muahahaha....what can I say they are all old farts with bad taste in music!   :fingers:
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! Play it loud and proud !  I play alot of Kings stuff in my car as well and the stereo in there is pretty amazing so I get looks when there is metal with a sick falsetto coming out of there going through town. :king: \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ I feel like a kid blasting that music sometimes but Kings music is for us 40+ grown-up kids as well . :cool:
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline McMatholomew

• Gypsy
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! Play it loud and proud !  I play alot of Kings stuff in my car as well and the stereo in there is pretty amazing so I get looks when there is metal with a sick falsetto coming out of there going through town. :king: \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ I feel like a kid blasting that music sometimes but Kings music is for us 40+ grown-up kids as well . :cool:

\m/ I like to blast my music through the house..luckily, my parents don't mind too much :gah:

Offline Winter Nights

• Ghost of Change
Re: How and when did you guys got into King diamond and mercyful fate music?
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:00 pm »
I was 15 and the year was 2001.  I had heard about Mercyful Fate being a huge Metallica fan at the time and the fact MF's name came up several times in a book I had called the unofficial autobiography of metallica or something like that.  I remember this was at the very beginning stages of when I first got into metal as the only bands I really knew at the time were Metallica, Megadeth, and Iced Earth.  I happened to come across In the Shadows in a used bin for $5 at a warehouse music and bought it and it was probably the best $5 I ever spent  :)

Offline Huntsm├Žnus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2011, 05:28:22 pm »
I got into Mercyful Fate early, around 1983. One of my mates and I used to go to a record shop in London called 'Shades' which was near The Marquee Club when it was situated in Wardour Street. We saw Melissa there and both bought a copy. Have been a big fan of King ever since although I've unfortunately only managed to catch him live once in 1987.

That must have been the Abigail tour. Lucky devil...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline UndeadLegend

• King Of Pain
  • Chief of Kittens & All Other Small Vile Creatures
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2011, 05:48:49 pm »
I've unfortunately only managed to catch him live once in 1987

"King Diamond's a Satanist, he doesn't believe in electricity." - Sam Dunn

Offline DirtbikeDave917

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »
Fail

Offline camarochick

• Superpostwhore
  • Toward the Unknown
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2011, 11:35:20 pm »
^ :D

I can't remember not knowing about KD/MF as I was fortunate to have parents who were into metal and hard rock and the sound of King's voice was a familiar one in my household.  :king: I wasn't really conscious about it until I got to be in 5th/6th grade though. At the time a friend of mine popped a tape in her stereo and asked me if I knew who this band was, she happened to be playing Welcome Home and I just yelled, "King Diamond! What the hell, You don't know King Diamond?!" After that I really got into KD/MF, just waiting for the time to come when I could see at least one live show regardless of if it was KD or MF. I have not had the chance up until this point but hell or high water I'm going to go!
I will say that I am a bit of a "loner" as other than that friend in grade school NO ONE was a KD/MF fan outside of my family. No one really knew about the bands even if they were into metal. I got a few people to listen but they always had a hell of a time understanding it, but to each his own I guess.

Offline UndeadLegend

• King Of Pain
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2011, 04:11:33 pm »
I really got into KD/MF, just waiting for the time to come when I could see at least one live show regardless of if it was KD or MF. I have not had the chance up until this point but hell or high water I'm going to go!
I will say that I am a bit of a "loner" as other than that friend in grade school NO ONE was a KD/MF fan outside of my family. No one really knew about the bands even if they were into metal. I got a few people to listen but they always had a hell of a time understanding it, but to each his own I guess.
My story exactly. I've recently gotten my blind dad who I dont live with into King Diamond. He has always been an avid Judas Priest fan (I think he planned me sharing my birthday with Rob Halford on purpose), he didnt know or had forgotten about KD when I showed it to him, and he loved it! My mom has always been into Whitesnake and other Led Zeppelin cover bands though.

Offline UndeadLegend

• King Of Pain
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2011, 04:50:31 pm »
In response to the Golden Gods Awards. Behold my ignorant sins before I was saved. This is where I learned about the word of the King.

Justin Amick Volbeat sucks. That's why they're named after a Pokemon.

Metal Armada lol

William Lynch haha my pokemon bring's all the nerds to the yard! lol

Justin Amick The U.S. isnt fit very a metal awards show. There is too much genre argument here. Just because Motley Crue isn't death metal doesn't mean they aren't metal. If it weren't for Crue and the glam rock scene, we wouldn't have the whole corpsepaint and theatrics that we have today.

Justin Amick Anyone approaching can dare to call me a nerd if you want, but even stupid people play Pokemon. Amon Amarth is from Lord of the Rings. We don't realize how metal LOTR is. Most of Dio's album art couls be from LOTR. lol.

William Lynch no if it weren't for king diamond or back further to kiss, alice cooper! Motley crue paved no way to metal! they still are glam! and real metal was happening the whole time crue was starting up!

Justin Amick King Diamond, not as much. Kiss and Alice, yes. Have you ever heard the term HAIR METAL before? If Motley Crue isn't metal, then neither is Twisted Sister.

William Lynch There's a documentary called "The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years. all these crappy glam bands, at the end is megadeth! (still around). well king diamond with mercyful fate! (birth of black metal) but your right too many genre's! Crue and T.sister These bands were hard rock! Mainstream in the 80's. Metallica was metal! that's the point,they call it what they want, when there wrong! but it's for the money!

Justin Amick THANK YOU! HARD ROCK! TS may not be metal as we know it, but he helped alot. Thats why he does alot with it. He runs a site about taking back the devil horns gesture. Has anyone else seen the movie Metal: A Headbager's Journey?

Justin Amick Heavy metal and hard rock are often confused. Lots of bands kind of combine both. Lordi are hard rock and heavy metal. Same with Accept. Can we leave arguing about this and go back to hating Fall Out Boy?

William Lynch Yeah, that's a great movie! covers everything! good discussion man! This is why we fans have issues with labels, they just don't know!

Justin Amick Just remember. Rock (and all it's children) is really winning the war between music types. Jesse McCartney was big for a few years, just like Aaron Carter. Now barely anyone, even pop fans, have any Aaron Carter on their iPods. Metal fans stay loyal. Kiss fans will get in a fist fight with you today for their band, just like they would have 30 years ago. I would. Metal is a way of life. Metal isnt a casual genre. You dont just listen to it every now and then in a car. Metal fans care about the music, the bands, and eachother. I would recommend Metal: A Headbanger's Journey too any metal fan. It covers everything from Ozzy, to Slipknot, to Mayhem, to Bodom, to Slayer.

Johnny Ockovic Im just saying i know stuff changes, it just goes to show u these KIDS know nothing about where the bands they r listening to came from and got there sound, they listen to the band that they buy the shirts in hot topic, anyone ever seen a MACHINE HEAD shirt in hot topic ?????? Nooooooo never. POINT PROVEN !

Justin Amick I agree with the source of music thing, but I dont like your Hot Topic comparison. I am 14 and I dont shop at Hot Topic, at all. Besides, Lordi aren't mainstream at all and my friend got a Lordi shirt from Hot Topic. Are you talking about the things like the abuse of AC/DC T shirts?

Johnny Ockovic im talking about mainstream metal !!!!!!! and old bands that my mom and dad use to listen that these kids buy shirts and have no clue who they are. !

Justin Amick Thats what I'm saying about the shirts. People buy Jimi Hendrix shirts like Spiderman shirts, and claim to like Kiss only because they know Rock N Roll All Nite.

Offline bran

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2011, 12:18:58 am »
i guess a good place to make my first post lol i first heard king diamond by buying a cassette at a local flea market about 7 years ago when i was 17 it was no presents for christmas it had no presents for christmas on one side and charon on the other side i didnt listen to no presents alot but played the shit out of charon. i went out to my musical store to get a cd of his and they didnt have anything in terms of metal had no internet so it kind of slipped from my mind and then about 3 years ago my brother had some metal cds that he didnt like that he gave to me a boatload of testament (which was awesome) and a mercyful fate cd entitled in the shadows so im like hmmmm never heard of these guys put on track 1 egypt and i heard ahhhhhhh egypt i was like thats king diamond holy shit   \m/ i fell on in love with the album played it non stop and now at this time having the internet went on ebay and amazon and bought all the mercyful fate albums (faves being melissa,dont break the oat,in the shadows,time) and all king diamond albums faves being abigail,the graveyard and the puppet master. not a day goes by i dont listen to king and dio my fave 2 vocalists

Offline UndeadLegend

• King Of Pain
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2011, 10:20:55 am »
i guess a good place to make my first post lol i first heard king diamond by buying a cassette at a local flea market about 7 years ago when i was 17 it was no presents for christmas it had no presents for christmas on one side and charon on the other side i didnt listen to no presents alot but played the shit out of charon. i went out to my musical store to get a cd of his and they didnt have anything in terms of metal had no internet so it kind of slipped from my mind and then about 3 years ago my brother had some metal cds that he didnt like that he gave to me a boatload of testament (which was awesome) and a mercyful fate cd entitled in the shadows so im like hmmmm never heard of these guys put on track 1 egypt and i heard ahhhhhhh egypt i was like thats king diamond holy shit   \m/ i fell on in love with the album played it non stop and now at this time having the internet went on ebay and amazon and bought all the mercyful fate albums (faves being melissa,dont break the oat,in the shadows,time) and all king diamond albums faves being abigail,the graveyard and the puppet master. not a day goes by i dont listen to king and dio my fave 2 vocalists
Nice! Welcome home!

Offline ldarkfire

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2011, 03:06:44 pm »
Not much to share here, mine's a pretty brief story lol

The when?   was '95-'96...

The how?  Brand new album, The Spider's Lullaybe  \m/
My parents bought it for me for a birthday gift... (always have promoted my... eclectic tastes in music, they)
Little did they know how much I'd love that album.  Actually, past-tense isn't right...
I still love that album  :D

Gonna listen to poor ol' Harry's story right now in fact.

Offline UndeadLegend

• King Of Pain
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2011, 06:45:03 pm »
Not much to share here, mine's a pretty brief story lol

The when?   was '95-'96...

The how?  Brand new album, The Spider's Lullaybe  \m/
My parents bought it for me for a birthday gift... (always have promoted my... eclectic tastes in music, they)
Little did they know how much I'd love that album.  Actually, past-tense isn't right...
I still love that album  :D

Gonna listen to poor ol' Harry's story right now in fact.
GOTTA KILL IT!