Author Topic: Whats The Difference Between MF and KD ?  (Read 6765 times)

Offline A Vist From The Dead

• Ghost of Change
Whats The Difference Between MF and KD ?
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »
Hail to everyone -

Just wondering, what is the big difference between mericiful fate and king daimond ? (Besides Andys Amazing Playing)...

Thanks !  :king:

Offline The Joker

• Back Door Man
  • The mother of postwhores!
  • $xDxR
Re: Whats The Difference Between MF and KD ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 12:27:59 AM »
kd has the full concept horror albuns and all of them are into the  'true' satanic philosophy
mf  albuns are more focused on horror/terror alone .... someone who doesn't know the true satanism can say that mf is more satanic than kd, but it's not true ..kd is a lot more satanic, but it's 'hidden' as the lavey satanism philosophy :D

anyway both rock \m/

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:01:14 AM »
The difference is huge, actually the only part i find similar is to some point the vocals.

The music is very very far apart. KD deals alot with atmosphere and are if you ask me way more techical in playing than MF is.

MF however sounds pretty much like a thing in between NWOBHM, Speed Metal and Thrash if you ask me, and are a bit more standard in the writing process. Both bands have many tempo changes in the songs, which i find refreshing.

In MF King has never used his Falsetto as much as he did in KD when that band started. That is very easy to hear if you take Melissa and comprare it to Abigail. The difference is huge. And imo the difference has always been there and that's what i love about it. Because i don't see a point in playing in two bands that sounds like eachother, where's the fun and challenge in that?

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:12:32 AM »
King Diamond is more melodic. MF is more of a power metal band and much blacker...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:37:05 AM »
Simple.

MF = Hank
KD = Andy

There is your difference.  :)

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 06:43:31 AM »
The main diffference that I have always noticed is KD is more about telling a full album lenght ghost story and MF tell 1 or 2 song lenght ghost stories. Yes I am aware that not all the songs are about ghosts. As for the other comments listed here already they are all valid. I think I like KD a little better but I listen to both adamantly.
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:06 AM »
kd has the full concept horror albuns and all of them are into the  'true' satanic philosophy
mf  albuns are more focused on horror/terror alone .... someone who doesn't know the true satanism can say that mf is more satanic than kd, but it's not true ..kd is a lot more satanic, but it's 'hidden' as the lavey satanism philosophy :D
In a way you're right but in my opinion both KD and MF are as satanic as. In Mercyful Fate the lyrics are mostly dealing with the ritual side of LaVeyan satanism (or satanism in general) and in King Diamond the lyrics are dealing with the philosophical side of LaVeyan satanism. The life-philosophy is so important when it comes to LaVey's satanism that you can say King Diamond is much more Satanic in a Laveyan way. Lavey's satanism is not the only truth but why KD is always telling how much KD is much more satanic than MF is only because he see's satanism in a LaVeyan way. Of course some people who are mostly interested in the ritual side of satanism or just a shock value can see MF more satanic. If people have read LaVeyan The Satanic Bible and then look again the lyrics they can understand better why KD might be more satanic than MF. Personally I think that LaVey's life-philosophy is much more interesting than the rituals.

King Diamond is more melodic. MF is more of a power metal band and much blacker...
I have never thought that MF would be power metal. Here in Finland people call music like Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica power metal and MF would never play same kind of music. I do understand that in USA power metal is meaning the same  what we are calling heavy/speed metal here in Scandinavia (for example I have never thought Iced Earth would be power metal). In USA power metal is rough and heavy but bands like Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius are playing very soft metal.

In my opinion Mercyful Fate is much more riff-oriented than King Diamond. MF's music is mostly based on killer riffs when KD's music is mostly atmospheric and guitar solo oriented. I don't mean we don't get excellent riffs when listening to KD but Hank's style is different than Andy's. They both are the best guitarists I have ever heard and they both have their trademark style. Of course the most important difference is that KD is writing concept albums and MF not.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:39:29 AM by Hammer »

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »
Someone will have to explain what exactly is atmospheric, 'cos I never applied that term to describe King Diamond's music.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »
Someone will have to explain what exactly is atmospheric, 'cos I never applied that term to describe King Diamond's music.
Listen to The Puppet Master and you will know. The atmosphere comes from the lyrics and from the music. I mean KD is dark atmospheric or horror atmospheric. It's hard to describe. It's heavy, rough, emotional and atmoshperic at the same time. But that's just my opinion. :P

KD is using all kind of things to fit on the music. It's theatrical and for me it's also atmospheric.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:30:43 AM by Hammer »

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:05 AM »
MF is way heavier than KD IMO and the songs are straight to the point and in your face.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:30:25 AM by Maiden Jersey »

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »
Listen to The Puppet Master and you will know. The atmosphere comes from the lyrics and from the music. I mean KD is dark atmospheric or horror atmospheric. It's hard to describe. It's heavy, rough, emotional and atmoshperic at the same time. But that's just my opinion. :P

KD is using all kind of things to fit on the music. It's theatrical and for me it's also atmospheric.

If I'm putting myself in the shoes of someone who can't find a difference between the 2, I would understand it better with the term theatrical than atmospheric. I also understand that the use of the term atmospheric refers a lot more to the lyrics. Conceptual also goes with the lyrics.

Musicwise, atmospheric describes more the doom bands than something like KD. You could say that MF is straight forward, or old-school thrash, but at the same time, so is KD. There are intros and instrumentals in MF too! They are not that different. I'd say KD is more "commercial" or accessible than MF is, maybe that's why the younger fans get hooked on it first.

and the power metal debate...let's add oil to the fire!  :D: MF isn't and never was power metal, even with the old definition of it. But if you listen to what most of the KD fans listen to, you'll find a lot of newer-style power metal bands, so there might be a connection here! There definately is a power metal appeal to the KD sound.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:23 AM »
MF sounds more Raw. KD sounds more polished.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »
If I'm putting myself in the shoes of someone who can't find a difference between the 2, I would understand it better with the term theatrical than atmospheric. I also understand that the use of the term atmospheric refers a lot more to the lyrics. Conceptual also goes with the lyrics.

Musicwise, atmospheric describes more the doom bands than something like KD. You could say that MF is straight forward, or old-school thrash, but at the same time, so is KD. There are intros and instrumentals in MF too! They are not that different. I'd say KD is more "commercial" or accessible than MF is, maybe that's why the younger fans get hooked on it first.

and the power metal debate...let's add oil to the fire!  :D: MF isn't and never was power metal, even with the old definition of it. But if you listen to what most of the KD fans listen to, you'll find a lot of newer-style power metal bands, so there might be a connection here! There definately is a power metal appeal to the KD sound.
If you ask me the atmosphere in the KD albums comes from the riffs, that have a certain feel. And off course the keyboards which have a vital part in many KD songs, which it have only had in a few MF songs. It's more about creating a certain mood or atmosphere in King Diamond, where i see Mercyful Fate more as a straightforward Heavy Metal band

Offline Aeon666

• I´m still missing you Dad... I haven´t forget you!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 01:15:49 PM »

Word!!!

Simple.

MF = Hank
KD = Andy

There is your difference.  :)

Word x2!!!

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »
Quote from: TwilightKing on Today at 12:24:23 PM

Word!!!

Quote from: TwilightKing on Today at 08:37:05 AM
Simple.

MF = Hank
KD = Andy

There is your difference.  Devil Smile

Word x2!!!

Word! Word!! Word!!!

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 02:10:50 AM »
Smart words. However, I think the word atmospheric can describe many kind of music. Of course in KD's music the lyrics and concept stories are making the experience more atmospheric. Like KingOfTheRotten I can also hear the atmosphere from the riffs which have a certain feel. Theatrical might be understood better for the listeners who are new with KD's music, you're right. How to define atmospheric? When someone is listening to music he can found different things to be atmospheric than other person. I'm trying to say that we don't have exact meaning what kind of music is atmospheric (only some music are more often called atmospheric). So it's a subjective thing, not objective. To my ears King Diamond's music is one of the most atmospheric music I have ever heard. Of course I can find atmospheric stuff from doom bands and even from classical music as well. There are different kinds of atmospheric stuff. All in all, I think KD's music is theatrical and atmospheric and best you can get. All the KD songs aren't atmospheric though but many of KD's songs are very atmospheric at least nowadays.

I'd say KD is more "commercial" or accessible than MF is, maybe that's why the younger fans get hooked on it first.
Maybe so, because there's no word Satan that much in KD's music. As a literature student I prefer King Diamond lyrics more than most of the Mercyful Fate lyrics. KD lyrics are more ambiguos and more like literary work. The stories are like Stephen King (or some other horror writer's) stories put to the music. And the music fits to the lyrics and we have that certain atmosphere. That's why I call KD atmospheric.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't like books like Ian Christe's Sound of the Beast because it's telling people that Mercyful Fate is power metal band. When reading that book many people are calling MF power metal. Some people think that when vocalist is doing high-pitched/higher vocals it's power metal. I'm not so into power metal high notes (except vocalists like Midnight). King Diamond is the greatest singer of all-time. And I do like other heavy metal high notes as well (Tate, Dickinson etc.).

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 08:29:07 AM »

The 90s MF is more power metal. The songs are a lot more in the traditional style of song writing. It's hardly unconventional like they used to be. Hank's music writing accommodates the vocals much more than songs from the 80s...

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »
The 90s MF is more power metal.
I dissagree.. MF never played anything like Power Metal

Offline Aeon666

• I´m still missing you Dad... I haven´t forget you!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 10:55:16 AM »
I dissagree.. MF never played anything like Power Metal

2nd that. Maybe a more oriented old school heavy metal... but not power..
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:55:34 AM by Aeon666 »

Offline wildchildelsner

• Voodoo Priest
  • The dreams... They always do come true
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »
I think KD has a more modern feel to it, but with MF you have that more vintage style production, just my thoughts  :king:
"We are Grim Salvation, we play heavy metal and melt faces, now quit gawking and go mental!"

Offline MaliceReverence

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 04:42:23 PM »
KD is storyline oriented w/ the classical style guitar playing that of Andy.

MF is more guitar oriented and straight forward in the music w/ lyrics being more simplistic about Evil, Hauntings, and Terror.
In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fatekingfate

• Salem
    • Bloody Face (official band website)
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
The main difference imo is that MF is deliberatly dark macabre. KD is deliberatly dark cinematic. and i love it all!  \m/

Offline UnholyTriumphant

• Lady In Black
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 09:52:52 PM »
Mercyful Fate is often more straight forward. King Diamond is more grandiose. Yet both play very dark heavy metal and from a musical standpoint, Mercyful Fate has a blackened edge to it, like stated above and I say this, from a MUSICAL standpoint. "The Oath" especially.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:53:29 PM by UnholyTriumphant »

Offline rockapiedra

• Haunted
  • ready to take on this world!
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 08:55:19 AM »
mercyful fate for me is religiously focused rather than KD.
Concerning the music, MF has straightforward riffs, and KD instead, adds flourishes to every single chord come up in a song  (Featured by andy LOL)

That's it as far as I'm concerned!!!!!  :king:
This is heaven and hell!!!!

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 02:06:23 AM »
I don't understand why this even needs to be asked, it's clear in the music that the bands are most definitely two different entities with different styles, different intentions and different members.
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!