Author Topic: Reverb on king's voice...  (Read 3752 times)

Offline ...To the Morgue.

• Lurker From The Dark
    • https://www.facebook.com/dooms666day
Reverb on king's voice...
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
Answer from King some time ago...
"... AND, instead of using a reverb straight on my vocal, we reverb the actual delay. This I have found, makes the vocal clearer and the words easier to understand. When you add reverb straight to my voice, you can imagine that it immediately grabs each word and starts washing it up. I bet you will be able to hear this on the later albums now that you know."
Link from the old topic :
http://www.covenworldwide.org/CWWforum/index.php?topic=3358.msg155332#msg155332

I know King is right about the reverb on voice but my feeling tell me otherwise.  I've listened to Don't break the oath and Abigail last night and I've found that reverb help to give this mystical flavor to the albums.  Just listen "To one far away"  or "Gypsy" they are good examples of what I'm talking about.  The voice sound more like an unholy choir directly recorded from a black masses.

It seem that most people now avoid or slightly use the reverb in their recording.   

I think there are some negative effect but in a other way... I couldn't imagine some classic songs without it.  You can think about KD and MF as well but also many other bands...

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
Re: Reverb on king's voice...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:37:03 PM »
Albums like Abigail are drenched in reverb big fucking time but it does add to the atmosphere of the album even though it still sounds kinda 80's with that much reverb. I do like delay on his voice better than straight reverb. You can do a lot of cool things with delay on vocals when recording and playing live.  :) On a side note I actually like how his voice sounds on GMYSP.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:42:57 PM by Maiden Jersey »

Offline DirtbikeDave917

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
Nothing wrong with reverb. Autotune is what to goof on.

Offline Mohican

• Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:21:08 AM »
Albums like Abigail are drenched in reverb big fucking time but it does add to the atmosphere of the album even though it still sounds kinda 80's with that much reverb. I do like delay on his voice better than straight reverb. You can do a lot of cool things with delay on vocals when recording and playing live.  :) On a side note I actually like how his voice sounds on GMYSP.

I LOVE the reverb used on older albums! It was haunting and interesting and it went well with King`s vocals. And what`s important - for me it does NOT sound aged after 24 years (Abigail). It sounds just as good now as it did back then - and just as awesome. Many other 80-s metal bands sound now very very out of date...but that`s not the case with KD. And I really think using the same kind of reverb again now would sound great!

GMYSP is way too dry for me - both vocals and the overall sound. I would welcome back Sterling Winfield or Roberto Falcao - and the BIG sound of King Diamond.
I know I have said this before, but metal should not sound too clear - it loses it`s power! That`s the reason I love Dead Again and Voodoo so much- Sterling made them sound loud, raw and brutal. Later albums and also TSL along with The Graveyard lack this - even the remasters didn`t save them imo...
I know many of you guys disagree on this one...but that`s what I think.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:23:20 AM by Mohican »
You and me...we`re not even the same species...

Offline Mike Steele

• Fatal Portrait
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:08:12 AM »
Have to agree with what has already been said. Newer recordings (generally) have the problem of being so focused on "sound quality" and technical details which is not what makes the music listenable. The feeling from the god old days will definitely not come back with that focus. I wish someone could force metal musicians to go into a studio full of old crap-technicalities and record their album in four days. Maybe that would help to set focus on important stuff...

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
Have to agree with what has already been said. Newer recordings (generally) have the problem of being so focused on "sound quality" and technical details which is not what makes the music listenable. The feeling from the god old days will definitely not come back with that focus. I wish someone could force metal musicians to go into a studio full of old crap-technicalities and record their album in four days. Maybe that would help to set focus on important stuff...

I think Danzig did the exercise with his latest album.  He recorded some stuff with some old Kustom amp and tried to get a more analog feeling and it worked for him.  Dethred Sabaoth is probably his best album since Danzig 3. I'm totally agree with you today most peoples focus on production  instead of the music itself.

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »

GMYSP is way too dry for me - both vocals and the overall sound. I would welcome back Sterling Winfield or Roberto Falcao - and the BIG sound of King Diamond.
I know I have said this before, but metal should not sound too clear - it loses it`s power! That`s the reason I love Dead Again and Voodoo so much- Sterling made them sound loud, raw and brutal. Later albums and also TSL along with The Graveyard lack this - even the remasters didn`t save them imo...

[/quote]+1
BAMT

Offline Huntsm├Žnus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

+1

I agree somewhat. But each release is a different sound. It can't all sound the same. However, Falcao did give those early KD albums an atmosphere that hasn't been replicated since...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:47:34 PM »
I prefer the reverb on the early MF recordings. Especially his haunting mid-voice which is sadly lost on the newer recordings. I wish he would go back to that old style on future MF recordings and keep the newer style for the KD releases. What would also be cool is to have King go back to the way he looked in early Fate for future MF, and keep the hat (newer look) for KD. That way there would even be more of a difference between the old bands. I guess what I'm saying is to go completely retro for the next Fate.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:49:01 PM by Hammerheart »

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »
I guess what I'm saying is to go completely retro for the next Fate.

+1

Fresh stuff with an old school attitude and sound.  I like this!  :D

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
Agreed  :cool:
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
The thing I dont like about older recordings from the 80's is when they used so much reverb it sounded like the entire recording was done in a bathroom, just my 2 cents .
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:49:49 PM by Maiden Jersey »

Offline UnholyTriumphant

• Lady In Black
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
I like plenty of reverb. Especially in the drums because it gives it a more powerful, lively sound. To me, a lot of those 80's albums (not limited to just MF and KD) have the perfect sound. Unfortunately, that sound is lost in many newer albums. I'm not too big on today's modern production jobs, although as long as the music is good, I can let it slide. Still, albums like Abigail and Don't Break the Oath, as well as other band's albums from that time, still sound perfect today. I guess a couple may say that they sound "outdated" but I don't see it that way. I just see it that today's albums lack a really powerful, atmospheric sound.