Author Topic: A question for King(if Livia can help)  (Read 1719 times)

Offline arrival

• Haunted
A question for King(if Livia can help)
« on: May 06, 2011, 03:26:25 pm »
I've been recently listening to a band called Hell- a big band from the NWOBHM era, and Hell sounds a lot like KD/MF, which is why I'm beginning to dig them. They had split up many years ago, only to reunite recently to launch their debut album. I was reading an interview of theirs on Metal-Rules, in which they were asked whether they were influenced by King Diamond, to which they responded that they were unfamiliar with the work of King, but expressed a curiosity as to whether King was influenced by Hell in any way(I'm sure in a good natured way). I'd love to know if this was the case.

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The occult theme had been used by bigger bands like Black Sabbath and of course another British metal bands like Angelwitch, Witchfinder General and of course Newcastles own Venom were heavily into it, but as for Hell, being  totally different as far as I know. I think Mercyful Fate or The Brats or Black Rose at that time was sharing the same philosophy like Hell? All in all did you come across these Mercyful Fate mentions back in the day even though both Hell and MF started at the same time?

To be 100% honest, the first time I ever heard a Mercyful Fate album all the way through was just six weeks ago, so no, as a songwriter I was never influenced by Mercyful Fate, although I can imagine why people would make that connection and it’s strange to me that the comparison is only being made now, rather than back then. Did HELL inspire Mercyful Fate? You’ll need to ask King Diamond about that.........and I’m sorry to tell you that I’ve never heard anything by the other two bands you mention.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to Interview: http://www.metal-rules.com/zine/content/view/2186/92/
And the shadows on the wall/ they really came alive

Offline feenor

• Desecrator Of Souls
Re: A question for King(if Livia can help)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:40:04 pm »
Well most of their demo stuff was released before EP/Melissa went out, so it's not that strange they (or at least guitarist) haven't heard them. Both are somehow similiar and great bands. Can't wait for Human Remains

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:35:22 am »
that's a weird question from the journalist! I don't think many had heard of Black Rose outside their friends and relatives in Danemark! ...."Yeah Black Rose was such a big band!"....lol!
As for Witchfinder General and Angel Witch. They were part of the overall nwobhm scene which was starting to sing about darker stuff. I don't think a band in particular from that period has influenced another one to the point where it could be stated as its main influence. But it can be true today! just not back then, within the scene.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline arrival

• Haunted
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:51:52 pm »
that's a weird question from the journalist! I don't think many had heard of Black Rose outside their friends and relatives in Danemark! ...."Yeah Black Rose was such a big band!"....lol!
As for Witchfinder General and Angel Witch. They were part of the overall nwobhm scene which was starting to sing about darker stuff. I don't think a band in particular from that period has influenced another one to the point where it could be stated as its main influence. But it can be true today! just not back then, within the scene.

So the English and the Danish scene were independent of each other?

Offline Walter_BR

• Salem
  • Justice is meaningless without freedom.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 10:02:48 pm »
It's difficult to say who influenced who in the 80's
There were so much happening at the same time in different parts of the world. So many bands that sounded much alike but didn't even knew of each other back then.
Most scenes in different countries were independent from each other, having only the big names of Metal as an influence.

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:05:06 am »
^Exactly! Scenes were never totally seperated, thanks to touring bands and magazines. The overall sound of the time evolved with many influences from bands of different countires. The most prolific was the british scene, but it doesn't mean they totally owned that sound.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 04:29:59 pm »
 Thanks for the Interview Link

Offline arrival

• Haunted
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »
No problem dude. I love Metal Rules interviews...so informative.