Author Topic: theme / solo  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Nokturrnus

• Deadly Lullabye
  • In the night... I'm awake
theme / solo
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:37:05 am »
(First of all - I apologize, if this was here before, but I didn't find anything)

I want to ask one question, if someone might be able to answer it. Why is it, that some guitar parts on King Diamond albums (especially on the first ones, like Fatal Portrait and Abigail), that sound like a solo, are labeled as "theme"? What does that mean?

To know, what I'm talking about, I put an excerpt from Dressed in White.
She's wearing white again but colours always betray
Don't look into her eyes, there's an evil darkness inside

Theme: Mike

You might see her but she is not here
Leave her alone, don't get to near
Goodnight John, see you in hell!
Say bye, bye to daddy, Betsy!

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
Re: theme / solo
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:10:20 am »
I'm no expert, but I always tought it meant that the "theme" was the recurring melody of the song, while a "solo" was something more or less improvised that fit the music underneath.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 11:35:57 am »
I'm no expert, but I always tought it meant that the "theme" was the recurring melody of the song, while a "solo" was something more or less improvised that fit the music underneath.

I might assume that you are correct in your assumption. Take Arrival from Abigail. The "theme" pops up twice(by Andy?) At the beginning and after the solo/tempo-change and the "18 is actually 9" line of the song. Does Mansion in Darkness have a theme?
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Nokturrnus

• Deadly Lullabye
  • In the night... I'm awake
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:08:12 am »
Well, but song Abigail has only one theme (by Michael), at least according to credits in lyrics.
Goodnight John, see you in hell!
Say bye, bye to daddy, Betsy!

Offline Owen

• Jonah
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 05:53:20 am »
the theme from arrival isn't a solo because it fits with the music, if you took it out it would be bland, a solo is like an unholy tumor which isn't really musical, and doesn't add anything to the song most of the time

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:05:21 am »
Well, but song Abigail has only one theme (by Michael), at least according to credits in lyrics.

I guess the "theme" isn't obligated to repeat itself...

Offline EthanGerman2012

• Baron Samedi
  • Hell yeah, dude.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:32:42 am »
I think that the a recurring bridge is called a theme, kinda like "A Mansion In Darkness", "Mansion In Sorrow", "The Puppet Master", and "Never Ending Hill".
THRASH TILL DEATH, SON!

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 12:05:17 pm »
I think the Lake has one, too...

Offline EthanGerman2012

• Baron Samedi
  • Hell yeah, dude.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:05:13 am »
I never really noticed this either. In the "Give Me Your Soul... Please?" booklet, it says that solo after the opening riff in "Black of Night" is a theme, too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:58:02 am by EthanGerman2012 »
THRASH TILL DEATH, SON!

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 04:37:31 pm »
The theme is meant to be a lead melody, not a full on solo, but a stand out riff sometimes repeated several times during breaks.

Thats generally how I've used 'em in my music at any rate lol  In "Dressed in White" the theme in question actually finds its way a few times in that song with slight variations.
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 11:50:07 pm »
.....a solo is like an unholy tumor which isn't really musical, and doesn't add anything to the song most of the time
what? seriously?  :gah:
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Owen

• Jonah
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 09:44:09 am »
what? seriously?  :gah:
i feel like nowadays solos are in songs because the guitarist thinks it has to be, rather than it should be

I dunno

Offline EthanGerman2012

• Baron Samedi
  • Hell yeah, dude.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:36 am »
i feel like nowadays solos are in songs because the guitarist thinks it has to be, rather than it should be

I dunno
I think that in metal, it is almost completely necessary. That's why nu-metal doesn't have solos.
THRASH TILL DEATH, SON!

Offline Owen

• Jonah
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:15:35 am »
I think that in metal, it is almost completely necessary. That's why nu-metal doesn't have solos.
I never really care that much about solos in metal, because usually as the albums progress the solos get more and more repetitive  because i mean it's hard to come up with like 12(or in some cases 24) different and original solos.
I've always liked themes better

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:46:02 pm »

Solos should enhance the songs. If a song doesn't gain anything by having a solo in it, then the solo should be omitted. Solos for solos sake is just guitar masturbation if its done without purpose.  I tend to vary the solos in my own music, I'll only do them if the song calls for it. Not a "because I can and its expected" thing. Some of my heaviest work has no solos at all, and others have solos that shred and solos that are beautiful and melodic.  Its all in the best interests of the song.
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."