Author Topic: Black Metal: A Documentary  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Maggotcrusher666

• You Are "9"
Black Metal: A Documentary
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:41:19 pm »
A few days ago I noticed a preview for a video on youtube for a a black metal documentary cleverly called Black Metal: A Documentary.  It said in the text that it would be released tuesday and sure enough the local punk shop around here got a copy in which I picked up.  The movie contains segments with Venom, Mortiis, Enslaved, Immortal, Gorgoroth, Korovakill, Primordial, Darkthrone, Celtic Frost, Gloomy Grim, King Diamond, and Arkhon Infaustus.  The King Diamond segments are pretty short but there is a few live clips and a full live performance of the song House of God as a bonus feature.  The documentary itself wasn't bad as it gave a more realistic view into black metal as opposed to some of the other stuff I've read or seen which focuses more on the events surrounding the genre.

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
Re: Black Metal: A Documentary
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:02:25 pm »
I haven't seen this but I think there was a feature on it in Terrorizer mag.. Seems interesting. The inclusion of King Diamond (the band) may be misleading, though - surely Mercyful Fate would be more appropriate for a Black Metal documentary.
-Goat

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 09:26:07 pm »
If they mention King Diamond, I'm sure they mention Mercyful Fate as well. It was probably just hard for them to get some footage from the old days.

Are there interviews too or just live clips?

Offline Maggotcrusher666

• You Are "9"
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 10:05:14 pm »
The documentary isn't so much a history of black metal sort of thing as it is a chance for the bands involved to comment on the scene in general.  It sort of moves from one subject to the next giving the bands each a chance to speak a bit on each subject.  Like I said King's segments are all pretty short so there really isn't much discussion of the history or impact of either band.

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:59:39 pm »
It's interesting how there are so many metal documentries being made lately.

It seems that the demand for our 'culture' is growing.  Very good news indeed.
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Grinder

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:39:42 am »
It seems that the demand for our 'culture' is growing.  Very good news indeed.

I don't see it that way...overexposure for an underground genre can only be a bad thing.

Offline Maggotcrusher666

• You Are "9"
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:10:41 am »
I wouldn't worry about this getting into the hands of someone who didn't really try to hunt it down.  The case makes it look like a cheap bootleg with spelling mistakes like "Celtic Frist" on the cover.

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 01:53:20 am »
i would be willing to trade for a bootleg but it don't sound interesting enough for my money

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 06:06:11 am »
There was already a documentary on Black Metal created some years back, which included live video clips from Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem and Venom. It was all in Norwegian, but had English sub titles. There were also interviews with Dimmu, Dark Throne, Satyricon, and Mayhem as well. It summed up Black Metal pretty much, especially when Fenriz was interviewed. He gave a complete run down of the genre and its influences.

I'll have to see the more recent one to know which one is better. Still, nothing beats Metal: A Headbanger's Journey when it comes to Metal documentaries. :cool:

Offline Maggotcrusher666

• You Are "9"
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 10:32:39 am »
There was already a documentary on Black Metal created some years back, which included live video clips from Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem and Venom. It was all in Norwegian, but had English sub titles. There were also interviews with Dimmu, Dark Throne, Satyricon, and Mayhem as well. It summed up Black Metal pretty much, especially when Fenriz was interviewed. He gave a complete run down of the genre and its influences.

I picked that one up the same day as well.  I haven't watched it yet but I hear its pretty good.

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 08:59:20 pm »
I don't see it that way...overexposure for an underground genre can only be a bad thing.

bullshit. in theese documentaries they only show the surface, as for it's impossible to go very deep in 2 hours.

you should'nt think as the only rightful person to know about metal