Author Topic: Where to Start With King Diamond?  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
Re: Where to Start With King Diamond?
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:10 pm »
Well, for me, I got into Mercyful Fate first in 1995. I started with Time, since that was available through BMG music service (what people did in the 90's, before ebay and amazon, you would start out by buying 12 cd's for the price of one cd, usually 16 bucks, then you would have to buy a certain amount every year at full price. NOBODY ever did that. They would get the 12 free cd's, then ignore the rest!) Then I got Abigail and The Eye from King Diamond. After that, it was hard to remember what I got since, but all I know was that every KD album I got after those two, wasn't quite a letdown, but I eventually knew that the Eye and Abigail were THE BEST KD albums, imo. That's probally why I freaked out when Voodoo came out, it blew my mind, and was by far the best KD album since The Eye. Anyways, I would recommend it differently nowadays.

For Mercyful Fate:

I'd work my way BACKWARDS, so you save the best for last. 9 would be the first I would suggest, it being the least best. If you like 9, then WOW are you going to love this ride! Check out the discography section here for more info.

For King Diamond:

I would suggest you start out with his best work of the metal blade era: The Puppet Master. If you dig that, then go for Them next, then Conspiracy, to finish that story line. THEN, go for Voodoo, House of God, Abigail, The Eye, and then Fatal portrait. Once you have those, then you can get the rest of the KD albums that would be harder for noobs to get into: The Spider's Lullaby, The Graveyard, Abigail 2, and then finially the least best KD album, Give Me Your Soul Please.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:00:22 pm by Hammerheart »

Offline LOA Housekeeper

• Spirit
  • Last Emperor of Melnibone
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 11:10:59 pm »
My first King Diamond album was, The Eye.  Them was my second.

I agree that starting at the beginning and working your way through chronologically may be the best way.  I also like the idea another suggested about starting at the end and working your way back.  Another way is to find out what each album is about, and then choose based on which story interests you most.  Whatever you do, don't miss out on listening to any of them.  The later albums are just as good as the earlier ones.  I loved the last two, The Puppet Master and Give Me Your Soul...Please.

With Mercyful Fate, after Melissa and Don't Break the Oath, you should pick up, The Beginning and Return of the Vampire.
Can you hear the voodoo drums?

Offline HeadOnTheWall777

• The King Of Diamonds
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:47 pm »
Well, for me, I got into Mercyful Fate first in 1995. I started with Time, since that was available through BMG music service (what people did in the 90's, before ebay and amazon, you would start out by buying 12 cd's for the price of one cd, usually 16 bucks, then you would have to buy a certain amount every year at full price. NOBODY ever did that. They would get the 12 free cd's, then ignore the rest!)

I remember that. I got a lot of Jethro Tull from them, but ended up buying them again because they got remastered with bonus tracks. Those were the days....

Offline bran

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »
i would start with abigail myself but fatal portrait, them, conspiracy,the eye are also great places to start shit you cant pick a bad KD album anway so throw darts at a paper with king diamond albums and you will be good to go  :P

Offline Thomas

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 11:54:09 am »
Mercyful Fate 999 >>> have you gotten started yet? And may I ask with what? :)

Offline MercyfulFate999

• Black Horseman
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 09:09:06 pm »
I haven't :( I'm looking for some decently priced Diamond albums such as Abigail, Them, or FP but can't find any... does anyone here have any extras?

Offline kingotnw

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 07:04:24 pm »
Can't you try a used shop? I would think you could get them for like $5 each. Also, I'm sure on ebay you can find them for a similar price. Truth is... You are going to have to buy them though. I can't imagine anyone here having "extras". If we have more than one of something, it is more than likely because it is an older or collectable edition of said item.

Offline bran

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 01:20:51 am »
you can get fatal portrait/abigail on ebay for 10$

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 12:38:34 pm »
Well, for me, I got into Mercyful Fate first in 1995.

Oh! My aching back...

Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 07:10:09 pm »
Oh! My aching back...

Hey, what does that mean?

Offline HouseOfAmon

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 11:41:46 am »
No DVDs other than King's puppet master dvd.
Don't forget the dvds included in the anniversary editions of Melissa and Abigail.

Offline Mr. Noncents

• Mandrake
  • The 13 were sharing a 9
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 12:39:45 pm »
I'm with
My first King Diamond album was, The Eye.  Them was my second.

I agree that starting at the beginning and working your way through chronologically may be the best way.  I also like the idea another suggested about starting at the end and working your way back.  Another way is to find out what each album is about, and then choose based on which story interests you most.  Whatever you do, don't miss out on listening to any of them.  The later albums are just as good as the earlier ones.  I loved the last two, The Puppet Master and Give Me Your Soul...Please.

With Mercyful Fate, after Melissa and Don't Break the Oath, you should pick up, The Beginning and Return of the Vampire.

I didn't know it at the time, but my first two were Puppet Master & Give Me Your Soul, so I guess it was working backwards to start, like you and Hammerheart recommend.

I also started doing what you recommend, researching the concept of the album & placing it on my priority list according to how the story interests me.   Abigail & Them are widely regarded as masterpieces, so I moved 'em up the list.  Abby hasn't disappointed!
Note to self:  Never make King Diamond mad.

Offline Revolver Ocelot

• A Family Ghost
  • Death Magic Doom
    • Megaforums
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 04:25:52 am »
Definitely want to start with Fatal Portrait. Then into the concept albums such as Abigail, The Graveyard, and Give Me Your Soul...Please.

Welcome my friend, my name is CHARON!
She licked the blood and gave me a sly smile...

Offline evilmessenger91

• Possessed
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 05:38:29 pm »
For me I had to start going Backwards. Starting with Give Me Your Soul...Please? Purely because prior to hearing this album I got it into my head that I hated Kings high notes. So for me GMYSP was a great starting point. I think If I started with Abigail or Fatal Portrait I wouldn't be typing this right now. I needed to be 'eased' into the Higher vocals but now I can't get enough of them!

But yeah. Seeing as you already have Melissa and DBTO on the way I would personally say Abigail. Great story and the music is fantastic!
OHHH VICTORIA NO!!!

Offline brady

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:07 am »
Start with melissa

Offline Thomas

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 10:15:05 am »
Start with melissa
Where should I start with King Diamond? My purchases of Melissa and Don't Break the Oath are on their way, but where should I start with KD as far as albums go?

:cool:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:15:38 am by Thomas »