Author Topic: oh hell no read this  (Read 19716 times)

Offline hellrider1

• Uninvited Guest
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 08:08:22 am by hellrider1 »

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
    • My account in Mikseri.net (in Finnish only)
Re: oh hell no read this
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:14:57 am »
HAHAHAA!! That's gotta be a joke. Not even a good one. I'm just stupid and laughing without any particular reason.

HAHA!
The voice of Jouni Mömmö keeps haunting me.

Offline maarten.

• The mother of postwhores!
  • NCS Team
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:18:02 am »
haha, funny as hell :P

yet an other reviewer that can't keep his personal frustration (i think his wives thinks his dick is to small) out of his reviews to make an objective review, so he tries to make a fool out of King and he probable think he's cool now :D

always funny to read

Neffie's penguin's

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:36:03 am »

Offline blackdevil1987

• Fatal Portrait
  • Bringing The Blood Of A Newborn Child....Yeahhh!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:30:35 pm »
I think that guy's jealous cuz he can't rock like the king!!

Offline Scumdog

• Mad Arab
  • Poop Ship Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 08:49:10 pm »
that Horatio guy gave an A to St. Anger. So his opinion is suspect. The guy who runs that site, Shevy, is a cool dude though. He's an admin over at Bohabcentral.com

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:20:54 pm »
that Horatio guy gave an A to St. Anger.
That explains everything. :gah:

Offline desecrator_of_soul

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
  • Oh Satan, I beseech thee to have mercy on my soul!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 12:01:26 am »
That pissed me off when I saw it, but shev is a cool guy. That site just needs more real metal than typical metal.

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 01:08:46 am »
Wow how sad....

Wilmar

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:22:42 am »
He also said that European metal was dull. Duh, where do you think metal came from in the first place? Yep, Europe. Even the drummer of that band that recorded St. Anger is a Dane. But I have to give him credit for speaking up, since the puppet master is not Kings strongest album, it is a disappointing album. It has it's moments, I certainly disagree with the opinion on 'Magic', which is one of the strongest songs on that album. And the comparison he made had nothing to do with music, he was looking for something to make KD look bad.

And if you read the reviews of Uncle Meat on TPM: he wants a new MF album too!!!

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 03:37:06 am »
But I have to give him credit for speaking up, since the puppet master is not Kings strongest album, it is a disappointing album. It has it's moments, I certainly disagree with the opinion on 'Magic', which is one of the strongest songs on that album. And the comparison he made had nothing to do with music, he was looking for something to make KD look bad.

I disagree with you (like probably most of us here?), I do like The Puppet Master. From the newer albums I would prefer Voodoo over it, but still it is a great and working album. Though they should have left Blood To Walk outside that album, what a horrible piece of crap that is in the middle of a splendid album O_O

Offline The Eye

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 06:08:04 am »
LOL, his St-Anger review is even funnier! Apparently, he considers St-Anger an old-school, 80's style thrash album. He compares it to Kill Em' All and tries to pass it off as an obscure underground release (never mind the fact that these songs DID play on radio, unlike what he seems to believe).

http://www.kickedintheface.com/reviews/Metallica-St_Anger.htm

"Metallica captured the essence of metal here, something everyone hates and is offended by."

Then Slipknot must be hella metal... :gah:

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 07:39:38 am »
I don't care what anyone says. As someone who has been a hardcore metal fan for in the realm of 25 years, St. Anger (while having it's flaws) did have much of the elements of pure metal and wasn't all 'that bad' not a favorite, but not unlistenable. (but, any how back on topic  :king: )

I'm not too phased by the negative comments about King either. Lets face it he's an aquired taste. People either really love his music or can't bear to listen to it. With the music of King Diamond or Mercyful Fate there isn't much by way of drastic variation. It wouldn't be MF or KD if there was. This guy seems to be stuck on the early MF era stuff and unwilling to open his mind to newer stuff, to him everything fails to measure up to the past works (kinda like 'tallica bashers lol )
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 07:52:35 am »
It's just one guy's opinion.
But I like reading bad reviews that are funny like that. It's certainly more entertaining than guys complaining that the structure of the song is weak, the bridge is too short, the solo not technical enough, the drumming too basic, bla bla.....
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline megalodonbite

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 07:59:38 am »
I'm not too phased by the negative comments about King either. Lets face it he's an aquired taste. People either really love his music or can't bear to listen to it. With the music of King Diamond or Mercyful Fate there isn't much by way of drastic variation. It wouldn't be MF or KD if there was. This guy seems to be stuck on the early MF era stuff and unwilling to open his mind to newer stuff, to him everything fails to measure up to the past works (kinda like 'tallica bashers lol )
You're right.  From what I have noticed, people either LOVE King or they hate him.  There is no "in between" or "he's okay I guess."  But I like it that way.  It keeps him more underground.   :king:

every thing that has nipples

Offline The Eye

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 08:03:55 am »
With the music of King Diamond or Mercyful Fate there isn't much by way of drastic variation.

I'd have to disagree there. While KD and MF aren't exactly experimental, they're not like Dragonforce either. There IS variety there. Take the Voodoo album for example. No two songs on that record sound even remotely similar...

Offline Scumdog

• Mad Arab
  • Poop Ship Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 08:16:06 am »
Shevy told me that St. Anger review generated some hilarious hatemail

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 08:19:37 am »
I was referring more to the overall sound, not song specific. It always sounds like Mercyful fate or King Diamond band. The same overall tone to the guitars (Andy's sound hasn't changed much over the years, not a bad thing), the same variations in the high notes etc.
Albums like Voodoo did have songs sounding different but they were still unquestionably King and at no point were there drastic departures from the core formula.  Again NOT a bad thing. My comment wasn't meant to imply something negative. I'm rather partial to all of the albums and the formula with which they were spawned.  :king:

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 08:20:44 am »
Shevy told me that St. Anger review generated some hilarious hatemail

lol

St. Anger seems to have had that ability to do that. I can just imagine some of the mail he got. I find that the ones that are the 'haters' are brutal to those of us who actually *gasp* enjoyed it to some degree

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 08:53:09 am »
Now that was really stupid...but maybe he wrote that because he didn't like KD. Just another dude that didn't have anything to do that day he wrote that...lame...
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 08:23:19 pm »
If an asshole talks shit... well, what would you expect an asshole to say?

Actually, he makes some points, not that I totally agree. King's albums ARE formulaic. I personally love the formula, but I cant expect everyone in the world or even very many people to agree with me, because I'm basically a case. But if King came out with a cd that was way off from his beaten path, WE would be the ones writing the nasty reviews.

Fuck this guy. He's wrong. We are right. He needs to have his ass beat, but that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 11:50:10 pm »
Good Formula over and over again = kick ass music over and over again

Changing the Formula for no reason = St. Anger (complete shit)

please stick to what you are good at...i hate when bands want to change there music style and formula...i know what i like and that is what i want to hear...

but that is just my narrow minded opinion. When i go to listen to a new king diamond album i expect to hear king diamond just like i have heard him before. That sound is why i became a fan and that is why i am still a fan. I would not be a fan if he changed music genres every time he put out a new album.

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 01:43:20 am »
Oh how much can I disagree with you? Do you really say that The Puppet Master sounds like Abigail or "Them"?? It has totally changed! It has become quite modern, which is obvious because studio equipment and instruments have developed. But the music itself has changed a lot too. The compositions are a lot more simple allowing vocals to be the main instrument. Probably because when there was no Mercyful Fate in the latter half of the 80's King Diamond didn't have two bands so that the other would be more complex with compositions and the other being more story telling. Thus he put those things under the same band. But after MF reunited, he could make his solo more "pure" in what it was supposed to be. I like both of the ways, though I understand that not all of the old fans like what KD has become..

And St. Anger is the best thing Metallica has ever done. Not an album which I would listen to all the time, but when I listen to Metallica it is most likely that album. It has these real metal elements being aggressive and unconventional, which is something that these so-called "metal heads" we have today can't accept. It's too metal for them, they like things being the way they have been done billion times before, so that they wouldn't get their weak minds shocked.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 01:47:22 am by Verienkeli »

Offline maarten.

• NCS Team
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 02:10:26 am »
well, i have to agree that TPM is indeed more focused on the vocals. but Abigail2 isn't, it is imo an album that could have been recorded in the old days (but they indeed used modern studiogear now, so it sound a little bit different)

Neffie's penguin's

Offline hellrider1

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 07:08:26 am »
sorry but st-anger cannot even be close to be put in a catagory as even being a unconventional straightforward metal album and anyone who says that doesnt know metal worth a crap.even up to today i cant say ive heard any KD album thats sucked.i may not care for a song or two but sucking doesnt apply.metallica hasnt had a good album since black because james and lars have such huge egos they dont really care about the music anymore.they even admit in the some kinda monster vid that they record shit-and make it sound good now.even they know they suck now