Author Topic: does mercyful fate still exists?  (Read 14554 times)

Offline Alexis

• Just A Shadow
does mercyful fate still exists?
« on: December 26, 2012, 04:57:52 am »
Hi,

Does somebody know if MF still exists or now only KD.
for sol long time i only read things about KD, touring etc

Thanks

Alexis

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
Re: does mercyful fate still exists?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »
Mercyful Fate is on hold, they haven't stopped completely.

Offline HeadOnTheWall777

• The King Of Diamonds
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 05:48:11 pm »
Mercyful Fate is on hold, they haven't stopped completely.

This  :king:

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:44:32 pm »
Yeah, it's on hold AND Hank Shermann says that he still believes that they are going to make their "masterpiece"! if they make an album better than Melissa AND Don't Break the Oath, do YOU KNOW how monumental that will be in the metal world? It will be on EVERY BODIES top ten list by far!!! Anyways, there's a few factors I keep mentioning IF they are gonna make this happen:

1. THE LINEUP!! They HAVE to get Denner back in on guitar!! Wead is already in KD, King needs to concentrate on making MF as different from KD as possible. I believe 90's MF didn't do a good job of that, esp. with Wead in both bands, it blurs the lines. Also, they need to get Hansen back on bass, but either Kim Ruzz OR Holmes on drums. I say that because I really believe that Ruzz is done with the music business!

2. old school, more raw production, the analogue way!!! KD is all about MODERN production techniques, but MF was always better with that more organic, old school production. If they go back in time with this idea, I really believe MANY people will get into Fate who never have before. It is what made MF so special in the 80's, cause they had that old school, 70's vibe going on even in the early 80's!

3. King's makeup. i think he should either go back to his look back when he was in Fate during the Melissa album, OR go with his look he had during Time, but either way, he's going to have to differenciate as MUCH as possible from KD.

4. And artwork. Bottom line, he needs to get the artist back who did DBTO's artwork. i know they had a falling out, but remember TIME heals!!!

5. And lastly, he needs to bring back that haunting mid-range vocals that he used to do in Fate back in the 80's and bring back the reverb ON the vocals!!! I really think that IF MF goes back to what they were all about in the 80's, PEOPLE WILL go out and buy the cd, buy the vinyl, AND GO to the shows. With merchandise, AND a return to form, MF's new reunion WILL BE successful!!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 11:51:03 pm by Hammerheart »

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:32:26 am »
So basically, you want "Don't Break the Oath II".
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Mike Steele

• Fatal Portrait
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 08:56:01 am »
hm... yeah, well... It is not exactly like a band member would say that they were planning to do a record which is far from comparable to the best they had made but would problably still be a good album... Simply mean that whatever is claimed about the "upcoming" album it simply will not match the old stuff. Those days are gone.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 11:13:34 am »
I don't see a problem with that!  \m/ \m/ \m/

Offline Alexis

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:10:58 pm »
Yeah, it's on hold AND Hank Shermann says that he still believes that they are going to make their "masterpiece"! if they make an album better than Melissa AND Don't Break the Oath, do YOU KNOW how monumental that will be in the metal world? It will be on EVERY BODIES top ten list by far!!! Anyways, there's a few factors I keep mentioning IF they are gonna make this happen:

1. THE LINEUP!! They HAVE to get Denner back in on guitar!! Wead is already in KD, King needs to concentrate on making MF as different from KD as possible. I believe 90's MF didn't do a good job of that, esp. with Wead in both bands, it blurs the lines. Also, they need to get Hansen back on bass, but either Kim Ruzz OR Holmes on drums. I say that because I really believe that Ruzz is done with the music business!

2. old school, more raw production, the analogue way!!! KD is all about MODERN production techniques, but MF was always better with that more organic, old school production. If they go back in time with this idea, I really believe MANY people will get into Fate who never have before. It is what made MF so special in the 80's, cause they had that old school, 70's vibe going on even in the early 80's!

3. King's makeup. i think he should either go back to his look back when he was in Fate during the Melissa album, OR go with his look he had during Time, but either way, he's going to have to differenciate as MUCH as possible from KD.

4. And artwork. Bottom line, he needs to get the artist back who did DBTO's artwork. i know they had a falling out, but remember TIME heals!!!

5. And lastly, he needs to bring back that haunting mid-range vocals that he used to do in Fate back in the 80's and bring back the reverb ON the vocals!!! I really think that IF MF goes back to what they were all about in the 80's, PEOPLE WILL go out and buy the cd, buy the vinyl, AND GO to the shows. With merchandise, AND a return to form, MF's new reunion WILL BE successful!!!

what an explanation!
Thank you so much and really hope that some day they will return, very raw and heavy as they was.
Keep my fingers crossed.

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 02:18:09 pm »
they will never meet againg and make a masterpiece, it is a sad but true fact king is very busy with his King Diamond band and in the last news he said tha king diamond sings 3 new albums and basically donĀ“t say any word about MF, for me is a bad bad new because MF for me is the most important band in this world my first album that I heard was time
BAMT

Offline sithslayer

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 09:06:55 pm »
pretty sure king said in a recent interview even if the new mf album does get made it would be nearly impossible to tour with all the different members familys and jobs they have now thats why theres more focus on king diamond that line up can actually tour.

Offline desecrator_of_soul

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
  • Oh Satan, I beseech thee to have mercy on my soul!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »

There's a definite zeitgeist to those albums that will not and cannot be replicated or reproduced; they couldn't make that album again if they tried. I understand what he's saying, It's not that he's saying he wants another DBTO, he's saying he wants another masterful recording of DBTO proportions, in which case I feel he's right on the money with the direction they'd be best going with (Not the only direction they can go, just in my opinion what I feel would be the best).
Andy Sneap and I had this conversation in England, and that dude is one of the most renowned producers today in metal, we both agreed those albums stand the test of time production wise, above all of Kings works.

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 07:55:17 am »
Me too, I think a new MF masterpiece won't happen any soon.

But, as the band is actually "on hold" and there has been some activity with the support of Metallica, they should schedule a special gig at a festival this summer somewhere (with Denner and the old guys as guests), put that on tape with a professional crew and then produce a high-quality DVD of that show. They can also add that old MF stuff in a bonus DVD, plus footage of their previous jams with Metallica, and we'd get a hell of a package, don't you think?

Well, I've been pushing for this since ever and would even suggest King to use a funding site like http://www.kickstarter.com, as I've seen a couple of great projects of this nature going quite well there (for example, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15580365/michael-angelo-batio-intermezzo-album-project).

Now, I really hope someone on the King's camp will listen about this idea... and finally act!

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:09:07 pm »
I understand what he's saying, It's not that he's saying he wants another DBTO, he's saying he wants another masterful recording of DBTO proportions, in which case I feel he's right on the money with the direction they'd be best going with (Not the only direction they can go, just in my opinion what I feel would be the best).

I always felt that albums such as "In the Shadows" and "Into the Unknown" were just that. But not too many here agree.
As for now, I'll just be glad if and when they record and release new songs.

Andy Sneap and I had this conversation in England, ...

name dropper!.. :lol: .... lucky you! I bet he's got great insight on many classic bands
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 05:22:47 pm »
There's a definite zeitgeist to those albums that will not and cannot be replicated or reproduced; they couldn't make that album again if they tried. I understand what he's saying, It's not that he's saying he wants another DBTO, he's saying he wants another masterful recording of DBTO proportions, in which case I feel he's right on the money with the direction they'd be best going with (Not the only direction they can go, just in my opinion what I feel would be the best).
Andy Sneap and I had this conversation in England, and that dude is one of the most renowned producers today in metal, we both agreed those albums stand the test of time production wise, above all of Kings works.
So did you think '9' was sub-par then ? Even with only 2 original members I thought it was pretty awesome ! Would love to see the whole band reunite for a great album but I just dont see it . I would settle for another with the '9' line up or better yet give us at least one more original member ( come on Denner or Timmy !) and give the Devils there due (us  :D )   Oh ..and yes , we will never see the likes of new albums as pure and rich as Melissa or DBTO as that was just plain magic and timing and oldschool production at its finest . The 80's was a magical time for metal in general but Mercyful Fate created works of art in those early years well before there time. Those albums still stand tall to this day and will for years to come  .  :king: \m/
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 09:55:34 am »
I always felt that albums such as "In the Shadows" and "Into the Unknown" were just that.

I completely agree with In The Shadows. I think its by far their best album of all time. Into The Unknown is my least favorite though.
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:57 am »
I completely agree with In The Shadows. I think its by far their best album of all time. Into The Unknown is my least favorite though.
Yeah, I've never liked too much "Into The Unknown", but "In The Shadows" definitively is a masterpiece.

Offline RipperBendix

• Global Moderator
    • Mah Band
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 01:00:46 pm »
Always asking for the ex members is understandable from a fan's perspective but please keep in mind that the current line up hangs out here and should always feel 100% welcome. Know what I mean? *pre emptive moderating hat - off*
-This space for rent-

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 01:00:21 pm »
I agree. ALL I am asking as a fan, is to bring back Denner. No offense to Mike Wead, I think he's the BEST guitarist for KD, but he shouldn't be in both bands. MF and KD need as much seperation as possible. Plus, I do not see it as very fair as ONE member gets to be in both bands, (other than King of course).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:14:56 pm by Hammerheart »

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 05:51:44 am »
If they come back, they should stick with the 9 lineup.

Offline devilsavocado

• The Preacher
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 03:45:21 pm »
I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but i personally think they're done as a recording unit. We'll see them again, doing the nostalgia thing at Metallica's 35th anniversary, and a couple of Scandinavian KD shows, but i'll bet that's it.

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course, but to me, it seems none of the members (whatever the lineup) have MF as a priority. They're not "split up", 'cause they don't hate each other, but that doesn't exactly mean they're still a band, either. For instance, nobody seems to know who's actually IN this in-active MF.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 02:56:51 am »
King announced in a recent Danish interview that Mercyful Fate never would be prioritized over King Diamond, simple because King Diamond is where the money is. He won't do Fate unless he actually earls something, and that is understandable. They don't have a record deal either. There has been trouble with massacre record, that King isn't allowed to talk about.

He has however also Said that if they did new mercyful fate it would be with denner ruzz and timi instead of wead and D'angelo and Holm. They would play live and only play from the two first albums and get to play songs that haven't been played in a long time.

I would love for that to happen, but it would probably not happen if they can't make a dime of it

Offline Ericfg

• Black Horseman
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 03:54:51 pm »
King announced in a recent Danish interview that Mercyful Fate never would be prioritized over King Diamond, ...
He has however also Said that if they did new mercyful fate it would be with Denner, Ruzz and Hansen instead of Wead, D'Angelo and Holm. They would play live and only play from the two first albums and get to play songs that haven't been played in a long time.
I would love for that to happen, but it would probably not happen if they can't make a dime of it
Of course we all would love it that were to happen.  And that wouldn't be too difficult to pull off logistically, nor would they not make some money off the endevour  All ya'd have to do was get King to Europe; the rest are there (Hank??) and then do a few summer festivals, &/or a short, mini-tour; say 6 shows in two weeks.  They could make a chunk o' change, I think not to mention some good DVD material.
The trouble is Kim Ruzz would have a LOT of rehearsing to do as he ain't played professionally in a lot of years.  Same goes for Timi H and a bit less so for Michael. And then you'd have to pry KD away from his cozy life in Texas.
Not to say it couldn't be done but there would have to be a lot of that early MF magic, synergy, zeitgeist... call it what you will but 'IT' would still have to be there.
Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, no?

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44:28 pm »
Of course we all would love it that were to happen.  And that wouldn't be too difficult to pull off logistically, nor would they not make some money off the endevour  All ya'd have to do was get King to Europe; the rest are there (Hank??) and then do a few summer festivals, &/or a short, mini-tour; say 6 shows in two weeks.  They could make a chunk o' change, I think not to mention some good DVD material.
The trouble is Kim Ruzz would have a LOT of rehearsing to do as he ain't played professionally in a lot of years.  Same goes for Timi H and a bit less so for Michael. And then you'd have to pry KD away from his cozy life in Texas.
Not to say it couldn't be done but there would have to be a lot of that early MF magic, synergy, zeitgeist... call it what you will but 'IT' would still have to be there.
Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, no?
All members but Timi are actually playing in bands these days. Kim Ruzz plays in MetalRuzz, Michael Denner is playing in Denner's Trickbag and Hank Sherman has most recently played second guitar in Volbeat, but also plays in Demonica. So beside Timi they're actually all doing their own thing, but they still have jobs. I would love some european shows, but right now the KD train us running fast so it wont be until that train is slowing down, as King doesn't want to restart MF when there is so much going on for KD.

Offline Ericfg

• Black Horseman
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »
All members but Timi are actually playing in bands these days.

Kim Ruzz plays in MetalRuzz,
I can't get his new version of DBtLD video to actually play, and the pix show what I expect a garage band to look like.  But let's say he is now playing drums again albeit it at an amatuer level.  He's got a long way to go to play for a few hundred thousand at a show like Wacken, no? [/quote]

Michael Denner is playing in Denner's Trickbag
A 70s hardrock tribute band.  Much as I adore Michael's work this trickbag isn't even on par with Zoser Me will be my guess.  I'll buy it, direct from MD if at all possible, but I'll lay dollars to doughnuts this won't come close to his work in KD or FoE, much less MF.

and Hank Sherman has most recently played second guitar in Volbeat, but also plays in Demonica.
  Demonica was quite average and his stint with Volbeat is long over.  Hank, however, I have not doubt about.  If there ever is a MF re-reunion he will be the guy that makes it as good as it could be.  That dude still has riffs in him. (and you can quote me on that)

but right now the KD train us running fast so it wont be until that train is slowing down, as King doesn't want to restart MF when there is so much going on for KD.
The KD train is running fast??????  Fast to where?
KotR, you've been here a long time, long as I, and I know that.  But you must know that KD is on his last legs and that MF is all but a shadow of the past, much as we all wish it weren't true.
We might get a new KD album, and if we're lucky a brief MF reunion, but mostly all we're gonna see is 'what could have been' posts, here.

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 05:11:46 pm »

Hank, however, I have not doubt about.  If there ever is a MF re-reunion he will be the guy that makes it as good as it could be.  That dude still has riffs in him. (and you can quote me on that)

This was the only part 0f this post that made any sense to me but then again , I guesss this was aimed at you KoTR so you tell me ?  I know damn well Timi can still play unless he wasnt plugged in at the Metallica thingy . :smileok:
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !