Author Topic: 9  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:55:40 am »
Wow!! It's been a long time since I listened to 9, and I must say, a totally underrated album and it has gone up several spots in my top MF albums in the last few days. In many ways, it's a return to form with several reasons:

1. The production sounds more old school. They made sure the volume wasn't jacked up, so it is an answer to the loudness war.
2. The Satanic lyrics are back, first time since Time.
3. AWESOME artwork!!! Dead Again had great artwork too, but we're back to satanic artwork similar to DBTO.
4 .Some experimentation which is always good, so it's not just a rehash.
5. Still sounds fresh in 2013.
6. The high pitched vocals are still there, but in true MF fashion, they are used sparingly.
7. Heavier guitar tone. Well, it started with Dead Again, but it's here too.

So all in all, what an awesome album!! I have overlooked this album for many years. I did play it ALOT back in 99 when I got it, but havn't so much these last five years. I'd say it's the second best MF album of the 90's behind Time, as of right now. Man, I REALLY WISH King would get MF going again. I cannot tell you how painful it is to have your favorite band on hold since 1999. I think they have much more to offer than KD does...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:07:40 am by Hammerheart »

Offline RipperBendix

• Global Moderator
    • Mah Band
Re: 9
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:42:19 am »
I cannot tell you how painful it is to have your favorite band on hold since 1999.

I can.
it is fucking hella painful! haha

I believe 9 is one of the strongest MF releases, probably the strongest of the new era IMHO. The most "metal" without question.
-This space for rent-

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:18:24 am »
That's why I don't understand fans that ask for a back-to-basics '80s style MF new album. They gave us 5 solid efforts in the '90s.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:12:46 am »
^^^Yep , I think Dead again would be the weakest of them but we did get some excellent tunes from Mercyful Fate in the 90's !   Dead Again just seemed rushed for some reason with me but there are still some great tunes there as well . :king: \m/   '9' is awesome !
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline 14Times

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »
9 is a fantastic album IMO. While I still like Dead Again, I don't think the new lineup really hit their stride until 9, so it really is a huge shame that MF went on hold after 9. As excited as I am for any upcoming music from KD, new MF would be even better.

I personally think that two new MF albums should be made, that way there'll be nine full-length MF albums, which seems appropriate
"Rule #1: Never trust someone who quotes themselves in their signature" -14Times

Offline RipperBendix

• Global Moderator
    • Mah Band
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:50:51 am »
I personally think that two new MF albums should be made, that way there'll be nine full-length MF albums, which seems appropriate

I somehow agree with this. It would be a cool thing to do! Dead Again rushed? With that 14minute title song?
-This space for rent-

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:40:08 pm »
9 is really awesome. Very blasphemous indeed, which my rebellious side always appreciate. In addition, Mike Wead shines on his own on that album. The contrast of his more shred-oriented style vs Hank's more traditional-oriented chops makes it very interesting to me. And last, but not least, the vocal arrangements are the best ever in any MF album.

I'm therefore with Beelzebub on what he says. Why wanting to go back to the past when the future is (was) so promising?

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:33:46 pm »
Because DBTO and Melissa are still the best Fate albums,and the fans want to see Denner back in the band. They also want to have the reverb back on King's vocals AND a return to some of the haunting mid range vocals.

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:40:06 pm »
Hammerheart seems to echo a lot of what fans have said to me as well about how those early albums had a sort of haunting feel or aura to them that has not been there since.  And I have to agree even though I love everything they have done, it just still is not quite the same.
"Satanism is about the Powers/Spirits of Darkness/Unknown" - King Diamond

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51:25 pm »
Because DBTO and Melissa are still the best Fate albums,and the fans want to see Denner back in the band. They also want to have the reverb back on King's vocals AND a return to some of the haunting mid range vocals.
cant argue with any of that! I'd love it if Slayer would do the same just for one last album, with at least one high pitched scream fro Tom like he used to do on the first few albums.  \m/

Offline Owen

• Jonah
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:49 pm »
Was listening to old MF today, really wish KD would employ some of that mid-range vibrato he used to do, that made me fall in love with MF. Nowadays his vocals are very clean and a lot less sloppy, but at the same time a lot less evil sounding because of it. This should cause some controversy I imagine.

Offline evilmessenger91

• Possessed
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 05:39:46 pm »
Nowadays his vocals are very clean and a lot less sloppy

I kinda agree with you man. Was listening to 'Abigail live in Concert' today and although Kings vocals are still fantastic live, Kinda loved the sloppyness he had back when that album was recorded
OHHH VICTORIA NO!!!

Offline Owen

• Jonah
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 05:00:37 am »
^ Yeah, it  felt like he had a more punk attitude, and I wish we could get to hear that again.

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 05:29:07 am »
I'm agree, those two albums did have "something" extra. However, "the best" is a very relative concept.

I'm also a fan, and while I love the first two albums, I think "In The Shadows" and "9" are superior efforts. IMHO, the band evolved into a more mature sound, a higher level of musicianship and a more focused songwriting. They did lose their inocence in the process, but that's the price to pay when one gets older. Still, I appreciated a lot they didn't copy their previous efforts, but built upon those and reached a creative peak. That's why "In The Shadows" and "9" are to me the best MF albums -the former built its foundation upon DBTO, Melissa and KD's solo releases; while the later was the outcome of everything they did in the 90's. Both different, but both killer records.

As of the Denner debate goes, I was impressed by what Force of Evil did and have always lamented the two albums they released weren't MF's. Also, somehow it's OK to me keeping the tandems Denner-Shermann and Wead-Larocque separate in their respective bands.

Nevertheless, I have three points in Wead's defense:

1- I think "9" was so good because of the fact Wead took more place on it and also brought fresher ideas to the table.
2- Wead's playing style contrasts better against Shermann's. They are more different respect to each other.
3- If given more room, Wead's contributions might lead to the next step in the evolution of the band (the song "9" and what he does in Bibleblack lead me to think that).

PS: Please notice I've never said Wead is better than this guy or that other guy. I know Wead has chops and I even like Wead's solos in late KD albums more than Andy's. However, I also understand guitar playing is above all a matter of style and vibe. There are as many tastes as there are colors. So, while I do like Wead's playing, I'll never say he's better (or worst) than anyone.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:30:44 am by zorrow »

Offline Owen

• Jonah
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 07:44:08 am »
I don't think I'd mind MF reuniting without the original line-up, but I don't want it to just be KD with Hank on guitar.

Offline evilmessenger91

• Possessed
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 08:47:20 am »
^ Yeah, it  felt like he had a more punk attitude, and I wish we could get to hear that again.

Although when I saw him at Hellfest, when they played Come to the Sabbath he sounded superb! His voice even broke during the first part of the song and it was the BEST hahah  :king: :king:
OHHH VICTORIA NO!!!

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 09:57:33 pm »
Yeah, the more i listen to 9, the more upset i get that Mercyful Fate is put on the back burner. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE KD, but MF NEEDS another album right away!!! And it'll sell dammit!!!

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 04:43:39 am »
I Know I miss MF as well!

Offline evilmessenger91

• Possessed
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 01:40:04 pm »
Aren't they still under contract to do another album?!
That's what a buddy of mine said but dunno how true that statement is. I mean by all rights they could be lazy and release a greatest hits which wouldn't really excite me too much. But at least one more album and possibly a tour?! Needs to happen!
OHHH VICTORIA NO!!!

Offline Buko

• Banshee
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 08:43:28 pm »
Was listening to old MF today, really wish KD would employ some of that mid-range vibrato he used to do, that made me fall in love with MF. Nowadays his vocals are very clean and a lot less sloppy, but at the same time a lot less evil sounding because of it. This should cause some controversy I imagine.
You named it.Yes,the later albums are less evil cause of his singing.Nevertheless they are good but nothing will ever top Melissa and DonĀ“t....

Offline kingotnw

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 04:50:57 am »
I like Fate, always have. But I have felt strongly that I much prefer King's solo stuff over the Fate stuff, with the exception of Into the Shadows. The line between the two bands, lyrical content aside, kind of blurred on Give Me Your Soul anyways. I think the rest of the 90's fate stuff, again aside from Shadows, could have been a lot better if more time had been put into writing and it wasn't churned out at such a rapid pace. That style seems like King's 'go to' style when he is not reaching as much. For instance, on Puppet Master, the last song on the album, 'Living Dead', is very much in that vein. It seems like he writes songs in order because of the story concepts, so it appears when the ideas run dry, that's the style he goes to. His base, if you will.

9  is a pretty good album, with minor production issues in my opinion. Though I prefer every one of his solo albums to it, with the exception of Graveyard, and Give me your Soul.

I think it's also worth noting that King seems to want nothing to do with the 'Satan' gimmick anymore, so aside from a lack of revenue from MF, I would bet that plays a part into it as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:52:13 am by kingotnw »

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 05:15:30 am »
The Satan thing was never a gimmick with King and he never got away from it at all.  You should have heard his live fan chats that he did or read some of the interviews posted here and you would see that his Satanic beliefs are not a gimmick at all.  King would never stoop to using gimmicks anyway. He has too much class

Offline janiperta

• Mandrake
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 10:43:41 am »
And another thing... According to his interviews, Satan is still present. In Mercyful Fate he spoke of "Satan" but in King Diamond he's referring to "them" and other "unknown forces", that is the same thing. So Satan have not been set aside, it has just a wider meaning to it...

But to the title, 9, I am possibly the only person here who disagrees with Hammer... It is a good album, but too "modern" in my opinion for MF. I've always liked the 70's vibe in the riffs etc. and this album (as well as Dead Again) is missing it. My all time favourite with MF is Into The Unknown, just because of the above statement.

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:45 am »
Correct, King has always said that he does not believe in the Christian version of Satan or any kind of actual Devil, but that the word Satan to him stands for the powers of darkness and the Unknown as he feels that is the best way to describe these powers and spirits that he says are all around us due to his many experiences with them which is why they are included on his albums so much