Author Topic: "Time" appreciation thread.  (Read 3401 times)

Offline EthanGerman2012

• Baron Samedi
  • Hell yeah, dude.
"Time" appreciation thread.
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »
I just listen to "Time" for the first time in about 7 months, and I completely forgot how good that album is. It is soooo fucking heavy, as well. I feel that "Time" is a perfect mixture of the heaviness that you find in "Melissa" and "Don't Break the Oath", which are definitely two different kinds of heavy, at least to me it is. I love "In the Shadows", but I feel Mercyful Fate really returned to their evil vibes found in their first three 80's releases. And speaking of evil, it is also such an evil sounding album. The verse of "The Preacher" blows me away with how heavy and evil it sounds. I just thought I would like to share my feeling for that album, and would like to hear some of yours.
THRASH TILL DEATH, SON!

Offline Owen

• Jonah
Re: "Time" appreciation thread.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
Favourite MF Album. Lady In Black is the best song on the Album, too bad Dark Tranquility had to fuck it up...

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
Great album , never forgot about it . Angel of Light has a very catchy main riff along with the lyrics . Every 'Time' I listen to it , it sticks with me for days and I catch myself humming along to it at work . :king:
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »
Wow. Where to start with this album? Time is my all time favorite album, and the very FIRST album that I heard from King Diamond. His solo band OR Mercyful Fate. The most underrated album, perhaps of all time. Imo, it even beats the 80's stuff. Not by much, but TIME is my favorite album by my favorite band. So many great tracks. Nightmare Be Thy Name, Angel of Light, Witches Dance, The Mad Arab, My Demon, Time, Lady In Black, the Afterlife. It represents Mercyful Fate well. Even sports King's best makeup look, as well. Give it a chance if you haven't.

Offline jalvarez82

• Unborn
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
Good album. I love "Angel Of Light".

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »
Great album , never forgot about it . Angel of Light has a very catchy main riff along with the lyrics . Every 'Time' I listen to it , it sticks with me for days and I catch myself humming along to it at work . :king:
I've always liked that riff too. \m/

Offline EthanGerman2012

• Baron Samedi
  • Hell yeah, dude.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
I've always liked that riff too. \m/
I know, man. That riff sounds so haunting.
THRASH TILL DEATH, SON!

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
Love Time. Probably tied with 9 for post reunion MF. It feels like a really energetic, well rounded record. The Afterlife is very haunting. King really shows off his storytelling on many of these songs.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
Surprised no one has brought it up yet, but this album has the best drums on MF albums ever. Snowy fucking Shaw, hands down.

Offline Night Goat

• Lady In Black
  • Mirrors are more fun than television.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:25 PM »
Witches' Dance, bitches! Also my fave MF/KD video. Rottweiler FTW :king:
Dynamic Power Black Metal

Offline RipperBendix

• Global Moderator
    • Mah Band
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »
My Demon! A riff bound for fucking immortality!
-This space for rent-

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 01:46:17 PM »
This is definitely my favorite MF album after they reunited. For whatever reason Mercyful Fate was really firing on all cylinders for this one. It's true metal classic!
My favorite songs from the album are probably Nightmare Be Thy Name, Angel of Light, Time and My Demon.

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Lurker From The Dark
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
Very much liked Time think the album captured a great variety of different sounds and styles all the songs i feel were very well written.   The guitar work was needless to say incredible just as the bass and drums and of course Kings vocals.  From reading other posts would tend to agree that Lady in black and The witches dance were my favorite tracks but also very much enjoyed the title track as well.  Grant it that it was not heavy but struck a chord with me and for that Time will remain as one of my favorite MF albums.

Stay heavy  \m/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:06:20 PM by Shadowswhisper »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Necrolust

• Mad Arab
  • Son Of Northern Darkness
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
"Time" is a masterpiece, it stuck with me from the first listen, and never seems to grow old. Timeless...
Evig er kampen mod lyset!!!

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 12:53:11 PM »
Time has always been a very special album for me. I remember the day when I bought Time from a local record store. It was rainy and dark Autumn afternoon. I bought also Megadeth's Youthanasia that same day and since that it has been my favourite Megadeth album. My little brother was with me in a local record store called Airon Musiikki (unfortunately that store doesn't exist anymore). He bought some Scorpions album(s) I guess. Well, we were walking in the Autumn rain. After we got home I started to listen the both albums I bought. The first I listened that Megadeth album and liked it a lot but Time blew my mind totally. It was so much more than a music, it was pure magic! There was a certain time I thought Time is the best MF album. Nowadays I say Melissa, Don't Break the Oath and Dead Again are my favourites but Time and 9 are close. In the right mood Time can still be the highlight of MF's discography. Without Mirror and The Mad Arab Time it would still be the best of the discography. Don't get me wrong, both of those two are very cool songs but not that great compared to most of the MF songs in my humble opinion. I love Kutulu (The Mad Arab Part Two), it's a lot better than The Mad Arab pt. 1. I do like the lyrics of both but musically I'm not that impressed of the first Mad Arab for some reason.

For me Lady in Black is the best song of Time and it's one of the best of the whole discography. The line "I was standing in the Autumn rain" gives me a memory of that certain rainy Autumn afternoon, the Autumn day when I purchased the album (in a song it's not afternoon, it's a misty morning, but for me the song reminds me of that afternoon). :icon_biggrin: Nightmare Be Thy Name is also one of my all-time favourites, both musically and lyrically. I do also love The Preacher, Lady in Black, Witches' Dance, The Afterlife, Time.... well, all of them. What an amazing album, masterpiece I should say.

It's so difficult to make MF album ranking. During certain times Time is up here, sometimes it isn't but it is an awesome album like every single album Mercyful Fate had released during the years. 

Surprised no one has brought it up yet, but this album has the best drums on MF albums ever. Snowy fucking Shaw, hands down.
I do agree. Snowy is my favourite drummer along with Mikkey Dee. I've been a huge Snowy fan for years now, he's not just a brilliant drummer but also a great singer (check out for example Therion album Sitra Ahra or Notre Dame's albums to hear some of Snowy's best vocals). One of the best things on Time album is Snowy's awesome drumming performance, no doubt about that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:53:45 PM by Hammer »