Author Topic: A question for Matt Thompson if he posts here, or anyone who would know this.  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
I have listened to some of Matt Thompsons other bands and he is a amazing drummer so, I wanted to know if he is told to hold back when he plays with King. I kind of miss the twists and turns King had in his music. IMHO The drums played a huge part in that.I love the new song but there is a part near the end where he does some killer shit on the drums, it just seems like he is holding back a bit. I could be wrong about all of this but  I hope someone on here knows.

Offline mobrules

• Band
1. I read this site all the time when there is something going on (new album, tour). So lately, I'm here...all the time!

2. That's a tough question. King likes his drums mostly simple, but sometimes he surprises me with what he lets me get away with. We have a great working relationship in the studio and I will never complain about what he wants in his drum parts. The name of the band after all is King Diamond, not Matt Thompson!

If you'd like to hear me play more like "me", please check what else I've done at my website www.mattthompsondrums.com

Right now I am most proud of a collaboration I did with Michael Harris last year called "Orchestrate" ( www.michaelharrisguitar.com ), and a project I worked on called "Agrat" ( www.blackhorror.com ) .

I also play in a band called Shaolin Death Squad, which is best described as Mr. Bungle meets Voivod meets Carcass meets Frank Zappa, and one called Bat Castle, which is kind of a just for fun thing.

www.shaolindeathsquad.com

www.myspace.com/batcastle

I can't wait for the new album to be released and for the tour!

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
Hey , man thanks for the reply. I had the feeling that King wanted that drums straight up, but its cool anyway.Shaolin Death Squad is fucking great. I checked out michael harris and some of that shit is killer. Hope to see you guys live in the tri-state sometime soon.

Rock on \m/

Offline Nibiru

• Catacomb Crawler
thanks for the links!

Shaolin Death Squad is definetly some interesting and awsome stuff!
Killer job on the new KD album too. The drums on Never Ending Hill are outstounding. Very tight and some killer fills.

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
Hi Matt, thanks for taking the time to post
:)

It's awesome that members of the band mingle with us.
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
HI MATT!!!!!!
I am that italian guy which sent you an e-mail last christmas! do you remember? the one of the italian flag!!!
still thanks for all!!!
I love your dums work, you are the best!!!
It's a honour to have you here!!! I can't wait to have the whole album!!!!
(sorry for the off topic, but I can't believe I can speak with my idols!!!)
Stay heavy Matt, see you in tour!!! I hope I'll can take a picture with you!!! \m/ \m/ \m/
Greet the band for me!!!

Simone
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 07:45:15 pm by Blackest »

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
Hey, Matt...

Don't let King push you around. HAHAHA. I noticed when you played the ending of "Invisible Guests" live you put some wacky shit in there that put most of us Doubting Thomases in our place - knowing what an incredibly tricky rhythm that is. I also miss the out-of-this-world progressive drumming on the later albums, and knowing you can handle it, it just seems a shame we only get to hear it live in the old songs, though.

King likes his drums mostly simple, but sometimes he surprises me with what he lets me get away with.

It's quotes like these that make me miss King Diamond the BAND, instead of today's King Diamond the MAN.

Keep bringing it, man. You are an amazing drummer.

** Edited to add: I just listened to the Shaolin Death Squad album and fucking loved it. I am ordering it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:49:45 am by Grace »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
Hi there Matt. It was great hearing from you!

I've always thought you do an awesome job with the band. You're a consistently excellent drummer and I dig your input. I'll be sure to check out some of your other stuff when I get the chance.

That's what I love about this site so much, being able to communicate with those in the inner circle. Makes me feel almost like an insider or something.  :cool:

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
man, Mickey Dee could'nt do better than you did on Abigail II... there's no holding back there  :king:

Offline megalodonbite

• Voodoo Priest
1. I read this site all the time when there is something going on (new album, tour). So lately, I'm here...all the time!

2. That's a tough question. King likes his drums mostly simple, but sometimes he surprises me with what he lets me get away with. We have a great working relationship in the studio and I will never complain about what he wants in his drum parts. The name of the band after all is King Diamond, not Matt Thompson!

If you'd like to hear me play more like "me", please check what else I've done at my website www.mattthompsondrums.com

Right now I am most proud of a collaboration I did with Michael Harris last year called "Orchestrate" ( www.michaelharrisguitar.com ), and a project I worked on called "Agrat" ( www.blackhorror.com ) .

I also play in a band called Shaolin Death Squad, which is best described as Mr. Bungle meets Voivod meets Carcass meets Frank Zappa, and one called Bat Castle, which is kind of a just for fun thing.

Matt, you fucking rock man!  Thanks for the links...its awesome to hear you play some other complex stuff.  A friend of mine that played guitar for Single Bullet Theory told me about how good you were even aside from playing with King.  Cant wait to see you live next year in Philly PA!   \m/

every thing that has nipples

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab

wow, REALLY cool to see you post, not many band members would! Keep up the immense work on the tubs! Great stuff on Never Ending Hill :cool:

AND a Ronnie James Dio/Sabbath fan! \m/

HAIL!
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!