Author Topic: A Combination of Perfection !  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
A Combination of Perfection !
« on: October 12, 2013, 12:37:46 am »
Hi guys and girls i am after listening to Abigails revenge this evening in awe of the performance given at 2:50 in the song Slippery stairs.  Had to listen to that particular part of the song at the very least 20 times and was so blown away each and every time by the bands tight up tempo and very raw performance.   If one may use the word applied to music that word for me would be perfection.

The riff from Andy setting the mood the blazing intricate solo from Mike igniting the fire Hal and Matt bringing down the house with bass and drums just fucking amazing it is in my opinion such a dynamic and well written piece of music as a fan i could only say i want more !  King Andy Mike Hal Matt and Livia please keep up the good work.
Am sure the next album will be great and i cant wait to hear it.

Stay Heavy  \m/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:44:50 am by Shadowswhisper »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
Re: A Combination of Perfection !
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 05:40:24 am »
Agreed. Great passage. To me, King Diamond (the band) is at their best when all the very gifted members are allowed room to shine within the song.

I would hold up "Slippery Stairs" and "Spirits" against most any song from KD's whole catalogue. Both very well written, well arranged and executed. Mike's solos on this album are all killers.

Abigail II is one of those albums I didn't care for much when it first came out, mainly due to its unimaginative vocal melodies (mostly just following the guitar riff), but slowly it grew on me until I like at least half the songs, and love those two. I think the band outdoes King on this album, though. I know King shoots for a more "organic" vocal sound of late, but this is one of those albums I would have loved to hear those absolutely ear-piercing over-processed late 80's banshee falsettos and crazy vocal arrangements to put some edge on the songs. Again, that is why "Spirits" and "Slippery Stairs" stand out in the bunch - great vocals on these two.

Side note: According to the number of plays in my playlist, I listen to this album a lot apparently, so I will shut up now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 12:28:07 pm »
 :) Just glad to see this album finally getting its due . I love it from start to finish as many who give it a second (or third  :P ) chance also have done . Those 2 tracks are great but there is more than that and the story is a wonder still to this day so ...
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:57:34 pm »
I could not agree more and yes at first the album for me was not highly thought upon for various reasons but after to listening to it  a few times and giving all considerations the album was truly excellent King did have some very good vocal parts in many of the songs but i also agree Spirits and Slippery stairs shined the brightest.   As for full band participation i think its a system that works sometimes but not always i found sometimes less is more and more is often times too much with certain music.   Of course i would submit that i never felt that way about King or MF think everything was balanced and that is important also.

Stay heavy  \m/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:01:07 am by Shadowswhisper »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:16:44 am »
:) Just glad to see this album finally getting its due . I love it from start to finish as many who give it a second (or third  :P ) chance also have done . Those 2 tracks are great but there is more than that and the story is a wonder still to this day so ...
I think the main reason people didn't like it as much as others was because of the name. They were (myself included) expecting another Abigail album, and it wasn't anything like the first Abigail. So people didn't give it a chance and discarded it too easily. At least that's my feelings about it, so who knows. I like it now and listen to it about as much as I listen to any of his other albums.  \m/

Offline Chagosomar

• Angel Of Light
  • "Moonchild!!! Hear the mandrake scream!"
    • Deadly Fujow. A dark ambient project
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:47:20 am »
Is there an "The Eye" appreciation thread? Because that album is Seriously underrated!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack  :icon_wink:

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:28:43 pm »
Once myself and a  friend of mine had a college radio show and we played Metal music of course and we both loved King and sometimes we would play an entire album to start our show if we started early and we usually would play a Mercy or King CD from start to finish and one night we chose Abigail 2.

Anyway on the other side of the building down the hall there was the huge cafeteria and they usually had a radio in there playing the college radio station including our show which was late Friday night so there would be a few people in there and they would hear our show or in this case Abigail 2.   Anyway when it got to the last two songs with baby Abigail crying and all the screaming going on and stuff some of the people ran all the way from the cafeteria to the studio windows with their eyes and mouths wide open looking in and saying stuff we could not hear of course from the soundproof windows but we think they were saying stuff like "What the fuck are you playing in there" and stuff like that.
"Satanism is about the Powers/Spirits of Darkness/Unknown" - King Diamond

Offline janiperta

• Mandrake
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 08:14:30 am »
I think the main reason people didn't like it as much as others was because of the name. They were (myself included) expecting another Abigail album, and it wasn't anything like the first Abigail. So people didn't give it a chance and discarded it too easily. At least that's my feelings about it, so who knows. I like it now and listen to it about as much as I listen to any of his other albums.  \m/
I can't agree with you... I was very clad it wasn't another Abigail, 'cause I don't care much for the original. Not worth the hype imo... For me the biggest reason (as well as a lot of my friends and contacts) was the very big difference between previous KD and Abigail II. The album seems to have more progressive feel to it and there are very complex songs in it, not every song has a clear structure and there are songs that don't even have chorus in it. Most of the songs start out as something and never return to it, but change completely during the song. Great example is The Wheelchair. There isn't one KD song that goes like this! It is my favourite one off the album, but it took me 6 years and about 50 listens to finally feel that way. Also there are a lot of parts where the melodies and vocal lines are very dull, compared to what King has done before. This time it seems it's not about the melodies, but the attitude! Also, the story isn't that easy to follow, as on the other KD albums. Of course, there is still King Diamond to be found there, but it takes a while and many listens to accept the change in the band... This is my opinion about why the album is so underrated and these comment I've heard from a lot of people around the world...

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:55:38 pm »
Concerning The Eye reference earlier in this thread i liked the album very much and know a great many fans who do also.   Being based on true events in a darker era of human history not only did the album rock but also told a great but tragic story.   With that i feel the album had a very nice blend of vocals and music enhanced by a very dark feeling within the organ and keyboard section.  To me it was a well conceived project but i feel it is not given proper credit by some people for one reason or another in some ways a over looked album.

The only complaint i had about the album was the drum process while the digital tracks fit in well it did lose the raw live feel in my opinion at the very least that was one area i personally did not agree with.  Yet Kings vocals and the guitar and bass work along with the concept of the story meshed quite well i think and made up for what it lacked in the percussion area.

All in all i would submit The Eye was a great album both mellow and heavy in all the right places.    Stay Heavy  \m/

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 01:45:36 am »
I can't agree with you... I was very clad it wasn't another Abigail, 'cause I don't care much for the original. Not worth the hype imo... For me the biggest reason (as well as a lot of my friends and contacts) was the very big difference between previous KD and Abigail II. The album seems to have more progressive feel to it and there are very complex songs in it, not every song has a clear structure and there are songs that don't even have chorus in it. Most of the songs start out as something and never return to it, but change completely during the song. Great example is The Wheelchair. There isn't one KD song that goes like this! It is my favourite one off the album, but it took me 6 years and about 50 listens to finally feel that way. Also there are a lot of parts where the melodies and vocal lines are very dull, compared to what King has done before. This time it seems it's not about the melodies, but the attitude! Also, the story isn't that easy to follow, as on the other KD albums. Of course, there is still King Diamond to be found there, but it takes a while and many listens to accept the change in the band... This is my opinion about why the album is so underrated and these comment I've heard from a lot of people around the world...
Well we all have our opinions, but to me the first Abigail album is probably one of the top 20 metal records of all time, might even go top 10.

And if a song is so good, then how come it took you 6 years and 50 listens to think so? A good song to me should be felt on the first listen, then gets better with age lol

I love both, but saying the first one is over rated is just insane to me.

Offline Walter_BR

• Salem
  • Justice is meaningless without freedom.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:17:52 am »
I don't think King has ANY overated albuns. I mean, I have my personal opinions, there certain albuns that I don't like as much, but I don't see them as bad albuns musically. Maybe uninspired at most.

Anyway, back on topic, I love this album, and specially this song. Abigail II is one of my favorites and I'm glad it doesn't sound like the original, 'cause the difference between albuns is one of the things about KD I appreciate the most. Each one has it's own unique sound that fits it's story perfectly, and I find that awesome. And abby II was an really important release, it was a departure from the 90's sound, with more polished production and set the tone for the folowing albuns. Not to mention that it was the first with the current formation.

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 05:00:47 pm »
Well we all have our opinions, but to me the first Abigail album is probably one of the top 20 metal records of all time, might even go top 10.

And if a song is so good, then how come it took you 6 years and 50 listens to think so? A good song to me should be felt on the first listen, then gets better with age lol

I love both, but saying the first one is over rated is just insane to me.
I know that more technology has gone into Abby 2 but for me the first listen was really cool . I did it the right way with a good system on a good pair of headphones . I to this day dont understand why people discounted this album but like you say everyone has there opinions . For me , this is a regular listen along with Voo Doo and HOG .  :king: \m/
I don't think King has ANY overated albuns. I mean, I have my personal opinions, there certain albuns that I don't like as much, but I don't see them as bad albuns musically. Maybe uninspired at most.

Anyway, back on topic, I love this album, and specially this song. Abigail II is one of my favorites and I'm glad it doesn't sound like the original, 'cause the difference between albuns is one of the things about KD I appreciate the most. Each one has it's own unique sound that fits it's story perfectly, and I find that awesome. And abby II was an really important release, it was a departure from the 90's sound, with more polished production and set the tone for the folowing albuns. Not to mention that it was the first with the current formation.
I fell pretty much the same way , although I dont think King has ever half assed anything IMO . Its like Metallica in a way . They had so many fans that they get bashed for certain albums / song because everyone has there own opinion . I feel that King does everything from the heart and gut . To put alot of work into trying to please your fans and be bashed on an album that people didnt give a chance because of the name is pretty sad . Again .....just my opinion . :king:  I personaly love it from the storm intro to the end . But then again , i try not to over think music in a negative way . I do however know when some thing sucks .....IMO ! :smileok:
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:46:34 pm »
I can say as a fan that King has never done anything half ass all efforts were given to every album produced and  i like anyone draw opinions on which albums i like more then others.  You know one could look at a Picasso and find in it beauty someone else can look and say that it is just a mess. So yes just a matter of opinion many times and as for Metallica like any artist criticized and praised in the same right. What some people fail to realize is that times change and with that so does the sound of the times sad but true.....no pun intended.   Seriously though who wants to listen to the same thing over and over again  dated and repetitive sounding music imo is just not what any decent artist wants to produce.

Now in that i can see certain revivals here and there of the old sounds and styles to give fans a taste of nostalgia but i do think that change and forward progression not even in a trend sense is a good thing for many bands it honestly imo is like a can it protects the artists music from the corrosion of a dated sound and style.

Will go on to say in finishing this thread that i love each and every KD and MF album ever because it is always something fresh and inventive sound and style wise as well as being very well written.

Stay Heavy \m/