Author Topic: Maybe it's time to make a new "Check Here Before You Post" for this board?  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
I have to say that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark when a poster gets banned for voicing his opinion on the two bands that this forum is dedicated to. I am, of course, talking about the banning of Wilmar, and it begs the question:

What can we, or can't we, say on here without the risk of getting banned by the powers that be? Inquiring minds want to know.

In my opinion, some of the criticism Wilmar has issued for the way King makes his music these days has been very valid, whereas some other parts may have been less valid but at least still constructive and coming from a fan's point of view - not from some nu-metal troll. The point is that all these things are still his opinions and should be respected just as much as everybody else's. This is a message board / discussion forum for the bands King Diamond and Mercyful Fate. We can either have one million posts like this one:

"King rocks whatever he does!!11!  \m/ :D He is better then MF fuck you!!11!!  :fingers: :king:"

... or we can have some sort of discussion and debate going AS WELL as having the fan-boy posts. Why are they both mutually exclusive? I think banning Wilmar was wrong, and makes me think that maybe I should go elsewhere to voice my own opinions on my favorite bands, since there seem to be no give and take here, just a lot of ass-kissing.

Sorry guys, I will always be a New Yorker at heart... I don't kiss ass. I will speak my opinion on the topics at hand, no matter whether they are negative or positive, and if the powers that be are so afraid to affront members of the band, then maybe they should just ban half of us and have a smiley contest all week long. That is VERY metal, after all. God knows, rock is all about pleasing people.

DISCUSSION
dis·cus·sion
–noun
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions; informal debate. 

DEBATE
de·bate
–noun
a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints

METAL
met·al
–noun
loud and harsh sounding rock music with a strong beat

Maybe we should have a clearer guideline for what goes, and what doesn't, so the rest of us won't suffer Wilmar's fate for speaking our minds in a loud and harsh manner?

Just sayin'...

Respectfully yours,

Grace

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:48:07 am by Grace »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline megalodonbite

• Voodoo Priest
I feel there is a difference between expressing your opinion and being disrespectful to the band and the line does have to be drawn somewhere.  I thought the purpose of this forum was for King FANS to discuss their opinions etc...and just because you are a fan and you say something positive about the band doesnt necessarily mean you are "kissing ass."  I'm sure that no one wants this forum to become a clash between all of us.  What's done is done and I suggest we move on and keep the peace on this forum.   :)

every thing that has nipples

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
Why do I even bother explaining this shit? Every time it's the same damn thing....

Every now and then you get a person like Wilmar who thinks they can say what they want in regards to the band, their opinion is more important than anybody else's, and they can do whatever they like on the forum.

His banning had nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with his opinion, or his wish for new Mercyful Fate albums. His banning had EVERYTHING to do with his disrespectful attitude towards the bands, the members involved, and the administration of this forum.

We rarely fully ban people, and when we do, why the HELL do people come running to their defense? 

Bottom line: He fucked up, was warned. Fucked up again. Was warned again. Blatantly flipped this forum the bird and was banned. End of discussion.

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
We rarely fully ban people, and when we do, why the HELL do people come running to their defense? 

Because it made no sense. I re-read all the past posts of his, thinking I had missed something, but there was nothing in his last 20 posts that suggested disrespect towards other members or towards the band (other than his criticism of said band's recent releases). I don't know the fucking guy from a hole in the wall - he can die in a pool of burning gasoline for all I care - but I have gotten the feeling lately that we should all just shut up and make kissy-faces, rather than actually discuss shit.

Fine, as long as we are clear on that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
I do understand the concern, but do realize that just because you don't see something on the board doesn't mean it wasn't posted.

And Grace, just for the record, good discussion IS encouraged.  :cool:

Offline miranda

• The mother of postwhores!
aahh.. the deleting of posts. that can be confusing to other members. i get it now.
Praise the Lard

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
    • My account in Mikseri.net (in Finnish only)
Because it made no sense. I re-read all the past posts of his, thinking I had missed something, but there was nothing in his last 20 posts that suggested disrespect towards other members or towards the band (other than his criticism of said band's recent releases). I don't know the fucking guy from a hole in the wall - he can die in a pool of burning gasoline for all I care - but I have gotten the feeling lately that we should all just shut up and make kissy-faces, rather than actually discuss shit.

Fine, as long as we are clear on that.

At least some of his posts were deleted, for a good reason I can say for what I have seen. Nothing about his opinions, just purely impolite behaviour.

But I do think that it's good if we have people here with different opinions. If you don't like the new albums of KD, then you can say that, not hiding opinions. But the opinion has to have something standing behind it, "The Puppet Master is a piece of crap, old albums rule..." is not a proper opinion, and at least won't give anything necessary to the discussion.
The voice of Jouni Mömmö keeps haunting me.

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
I have to say that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark when a poster gets banned for voicing his opinion on the two bands that this forum is dedicated to. I am, of course, talking about the banning of Wilmar, and it begs the question:
I think voicing an opinion, and bitching about everything like a fuckin kid, are two different things. ::)

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
As a fellow admin on a large board elsewhere, I support our admins here 100%. It's not always an easy task and you can't please everyone. What was said did border on disrespect, disrespect and negative opinions are two separate things. I've banned people over the years for their behavior behind the scenes not necessarily what they've done in the public eye. Bans are something few admins enjoy doing, but they are a sad requirement in some cases.
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
As a fellow admin on a large board elsewhere, I support our admins here 100%. It's not always an easy task and you can't please everyone. What was said did border on disrespect, disrespect and negative opinions are two separate things. I've banned people over the years for their behavior behind the scenes not necessarily what they've done in the public eye. Bans are something few admins enjoy doing, but they are a sad requirement in some cases.

I agree. I'm a moderator on a large site elsewhere myself, so I also respect the responsibility of this task. Actually, CWW seems to be very tolerant and easy going compared to some sites, and there's a friendly, lenient atmosphere here which I think we should all appreciate rather than take advantage of.
-Goat

Online Bub

• Global Moderator
  • Doomed by the living dead!
As i allready said here : http://www.covenworldwide.org/CWWforum/index.php?topic=668.0

END OF FUCKING DISCUSSION!
nah