Author Topic: King Diamond vinyl reissues 2014 from Metal Blade  (Read 40538 times)

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
Re: King Diamond vinyl reissues 2014 from Metal Blade
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2014, 05:46:12 PM »
Here is "Them"

I have only listened to each LP a few times but here is my opinion as a King Diamond/Mercyful Fate fan:

I think these versions on LP are probably the best, if not the best versions of these recordings I have heard.  The only versions I have heard which may be better are the original LP issues from the 1980s.  My local record store should have Don't Break the Oath and Abigail in stock this week, and they said they will hold one copy of each when they arrive for me.  I will give my opinion on those after I give them each a few listens. 

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
According to the record store, Don't Break the Oath and Abigail got pushed back to June 10.  :(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:01:02 AM by Invisible Boy »

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 07:28:51 AM »
How does the reissue of Them sound compared to the original 80s LP pressing?

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 11:52:54 PM »
How does the reissue of Them sound compared to the original 80s LP pressing?

It sounds very comparable to the original LP. 

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »

More bass by any chance?
:-)

Offline jomontferrand

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:13 PM »

Thanks for the report.

I just have a question for you as I never had the original vinyl of Abigail and ''Them''.

Here are the versions I have:

King Diamond - Abigail: 2 LP version issued by Roadronner Records (Cargo Records) RRCAR 8788-1 (This one sounds fine);
King Diamond - Them: 1 LP version issued by Roadrunner Records (Cargo Records) RRCAR 8785-1 (this one sounds terrible and I suspect the issue is that they crammed the whole album + 3 bonus tracks in 1 side and half of the other...).

They appear to be from the same set of reissues (re-released back in 2007 if I`m not mistaken). Abigail sounds fine (with bonus tracks as well). For whatever reason, they released Them with bonus tracks and used only one LP (and not even half of the B side :p). Obviously the sounds suffers. Having never heard the original LP, I want to get my hands on this new reissue only if anyone can confirm that it sounds better than this terrible version?

You mentioned than this reissue sounds comparable to the original one... will I be wasting my money getting this new version?

The ''Them'' version I have on LP is not listenable.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Thanks for the report.

I just have a question for you as I never had the original vinyl of Abigail and ''Them''.

Here are the versions I have:

King Diamond - Abigail: 2 LP version issued by Roadronner Records (Cargo Records) RRCAR 8788-1 (This one sounds fine);
King Diamond - Them: 1 LP version issued by Roadrunner Records (Cargo Records) RRCAR 8785-1 (this one sounds terrible and I suspect the issue is that they crammed the whole album + 3 bonus tracks in 1 side and half of the other...).

They appear to be from the same set of reissues (re-released back in 2007 if I`m not mistaken). Abigail sounds fine (with bonus tracks as well). For whatever reason, they released Them with bonus tracks and used only one LP (and not even half of the B side :p). Obviously the sounds suffers. Having never heard the original LP, I want to get my hands on this new reissue only if anyone can confirm that it sounds better than this terrible version?

You mentioned than this reissue sounds comparable to the original one... will I be wasting my money getting this new version?

The ''Them'' version I have on LP is not listenable.

Thanks for your help!

IMO, those 2007 roadrunner issues were awful. 

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »
Just got the Deadly Lullabyes reissue today from Metal Blade's eBay store.  Top notch pressing (clear vinyl), dead quiet vinyl and the sound quality is very good.  I'm impressed.  I buy only vinyl, so I've come across many mediocre and crappy modern pressings, and this is surely NOT one of those.  I can faintly hear the thud of the Matt Thompson's foot hitting his hi-hat pedal and the instrument separation is fantastic, with room for every instrument.  Apparently it was pressed from the original analog/vinyl masters and it shows.  I've not heard the original pressing, so I can't compare it but this one sounds like they're performing in front of me.

The packaging is also really nice.  The inner sleeves/LPs were put in between the pockets of the outer jacket so there wouldn't be split seams (people that buy new sealed LPs will certainly know what I'm referring to).  And it was sealed this way!  Impressive and that shows the label cares about its product.  I'm about the order the other reissues!

Good job Metal Blade.

If anyone is interested I can post pictures.

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
 I would LOVE to see this ....sounds killer  \m/

Your Vinyl arrived okay ??   I just got my full orders from metal blade & they just tossed 9 Lp's in a square box & all the Vinyl was ruined  :kopfpatsch:
   Not the 1st time they have done this either ...... they NEED to buy lp shipping packaging .

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2014, 01:30:21 AM »
I got the Don't Break the Oath and Abigail reissues last week.  Both of them are top notch.  I'd recommend anybody to get these.  They are probably cheaper than the original pressings on vinyl, and sound just as good!!

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2014, 06:33:03 AM »

Your Vinyl arrived okay ??   I just got my full orders from metal blade & they just tossed 9 Lp's in a square box & all the Vinyl was ruined  :kopfpatsch:
   Not the 1st time they have done this either ...... they NEED to buy lp shipping packaging .

I ordered it through ebay, so maybe their quality control is better through a third party seller system like ebay.

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »
I ordered mine from local record stores.  They always arrive in my hands in pristine condition. 

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2014, 08:03:29 PM »

Got mine from the same place and have no issues. One tiny little bend on one corner, but that was actually my fault when taking off the shrinkwrap.

Great albums though, really thinking about ordering the KD ones. Only reason I didn't is because I just picked up the first press copies at a record store in pristine condition. Very happy with the MF albums though, hope they release more one day soon.

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2014, 11:02:21 PM »
I wish Fatal Portrait would get a proper reissue.  Maybe with No Presents for Christmas and The Lake on a bonus 10" or something. 

Offline Maggotcrusher666

• You Are "9"
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
They should at least do the other 3 King Diamond records.  Looks like they are doing Sepultura - Schizophrenia, Obituary - The End Complete & Deicide - Legion next.  So glad they are able to put out all this classic roadrunner stuff.

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
  Thanks for the replies on the Damaged vinyl , it may be as i ordered 2 copies of all 4 of them as a friend & i ordered at the same time , Metal blade is looking into a partial refund if i want to keep them with the Damaged covers .

Offline jomontferrand

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2014, 05:38:05 PM »
I wish Fatal Portrait would get a proper reissue.  Maybe with No Presents for Christmas and The Lake on a bonus 10" or something.

Here you go: :D

http://www.amazon.ca/Fatal-Portrait-Vinyl-King-Diamond/dp/B00MHS5BNO/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-2&keywords=king+diamond

Also:

http://www.amazon.ca/Eye-Vinyl-King-Diamond/dp/B00MHS5CKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1408751309&sr=1-1&keywords=king+diamond

Relapse also seem to have a Gold printed LP (limited to 1500) Fatal Portrait and a Clear ''The Eye''.

Wanted to created a new thread for this but I figured this one was good enough!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:38:52 PM by jomontferrand »

Offline nat120

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »
I just purchased the abigail reissue from metal blade in blue vinyl.  It is dead quiet and sounds outstanding.  I was amazed at how good it sounds.  I highly recommend purchasing.  I will be buying Them next.

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »
Here you go: :D

http://www.amazon.ca/Fatal-Portrait-Vinyl-King-Diamond/dp/B00MHS5BNO/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-2&keywords=king+diamond

Also:

http://www.amazon.ca/Eye-Vinyl-King-Diamond/dp/B00MHS5CKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1408751309&sr=1-1&keywords=king+diamond

Relapse also seem to have a Gold printed LP (limited to 1500) Fatal Portrait and a Clear ''The Eye''.

Wanted to created a new thread for this but I figured this one was good enough!

Awesome!!!  Thank you so much for this information. 

Offline ZachAttack

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
How does the cover art look? Most of these reissues are just photocopied and have shitty looking covers, most notably the logos are always blurry. I can tell just from the pics posted here that the colors are way off on Them, looks like too much color saturation and darker than normal. Aren't these selling for around $27 US dollars? Seems like for that price you might as well just get the originals, you can usually find the first four KD LPs for around $20-$30

Offline nat120

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »
The album cover is not very high quality and looks about what you described with the Them cover.  It has a one page piece of artwork with lyrics which does not look to bad.  They did opt for a higher quality inner sleeve that is plastic and paper.  The inner part being plastic which is nice.  I paid $29 for my copy and purchase through King's website.  I could of purchased it for about $ bucks cheaper but I wanted to support him.  For me when I purchase vinyl my main concern is getting high quality vinyl not so much on the artwork so this copy was well worth what I paid to have a record that is dead quiet and sounds top quality in a custom color on 180 gram. 

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
How does the cover art look? Most of these reissues are just photocopied and have shitty looking covers, most notably the logos are always blurry. I can tell just from the pics posted here that the colors are way off on Them, looks like too much color saturation and darker than normal. Aren't these selling for around $27 US dollars? Seems like for that price you might as well just get the originals, you can usually find the first four KD LPs for around $20-$30

The colors on "Them" look much darker compared to my original copy, but this is quite normal, and I wouldn't call it a photocopy.  The logo is not blurry at all.  This could be how the actual cover was meant to look like. 

I bought my LPs for $22.95 each from my local record store.  Used copies of King Diamond/Mercyful Fate albums always go for at least that much!  My only complaint is that the information on the spines could be bigger. 

Offline SacredMetalMichael

• Just A Shadow
    • Sacred Metal
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2014, 09:12:32 AM »
Does anyone have a good European source where I can buy thos 2014 re-releases?
Top-Records 2008 (so far)
1. Pharaoh – Be Gone
2. The Gates Of Slumber – Conqueror
3. Heart Of Cygnus – Utopia
4. BattleRoar – To Death And Beyond…
5. Gama Bomb – Citizen Brain
6. Ereb Altor – By Honour

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »
Does anyone have a good European source where I can buy thos 2014 re-releases?

Are there any record stores in your area?? 

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
The colors on "Them" look much darker compared to my original copy, but this is quite normal, and I wouldn't call it a photocopy.  The logo is not blurry at all.  This could be how the actual cover was meant to look like. 

I bought my LPs for $22.95 each from my local record store.  Used copies of King Diamond/Mercyful Fate albums always go for at least that much!  My only complaint is that the information on the spines could be bigger.

I just pre-ordered Fatal Portrait.  I cannot wait until 9/30.