Author Topic: Would you consider KD and MF to be borderline prog-metal?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline EthanGerman2012

• Baron Samedi
  • Hell yeah, dude.
Would you consider KD and MF to be borderline prog-metal?
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »
Hi y'all, sorry I've been AWOL for so long lol.

So out of random curiosity, do any of you guys ever occasionally find yourself relating early KD and MF work to the likes of prog-metal? I've asked a few people, and I'm pretty certain they thought I was nuts for some reason.

"At the Sound of the Demon Bell", "Satan's Fall","Melissa","Nightmare","Night of the Unborn","Come to The Sabbath","The Old Oak","Room of Golden Air", and "Legend of the Headless Rider" all seem to have a slight prog sound to them, to me.

And then there's KD, with whole albums like "Abigail" "'THEM'" "Conspiracy" and "The Eye" which sound even more progressive.

Honestly, this discussion doesn't even matter really lol it's awesome music no matter the genre label. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the same, or if I'm just hearing it a little differently.
THRASH TILL DEATH, SON!

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
Re: Would you consider KD and MF to be borderline prog-metal?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »
I've never considered them prog metal. 

Offline RipperBendix

• Global Moderator
    • Mah Band
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:48:00 AM »
I wouldn't say prog metal but MF has quite some progressive elements as in - MF is pretty progressive with the time changes and un-metal-clicheed melodies. BUT all in all both bands are straightforward metal.
-This space for rent-

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
According to prog master Frank Zappa prog rock is ''Anything that doesn't sound like regular rock''

According to that statement I would like to declare King Diamond and Mercyful Fate for Progressive!  :king:

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
Prog is really more of a style than a genre. Yes, the time changes are everything. I don't really think of Rush and Queensryche as being in the same group as KD/MF....but then there is high pitched vocals and strong affinity for traditional heavy metal.

I would say: KD = Gothic Symphonic Thrash Metal MF = Early Melodic Black Metal/Dark Heavy Metal  :king:

Even that doesn't cover everything! Labels labels labels...  :gah:
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King