Author Topic: King Diamond North American Tour 2014  (Read 121948 times)

Online SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
Re: King Diamond North American Tour 2014
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:30 pm »
@Bladestone: A King hat and Anton LaVey shirt,  now that sounds like the perfect way to dress for a King Diamond show :)
"Satanism is about the Powers/Spirits of Darkness/Unknown" - King Diamond

Offline BellwitchMF

• Angel Of Light
  • R.I.P Mr Ronnie James Dio \m/ \m/
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2014, 01:36:26 pm »
thanks to my best buddy paul(desc of soul) going to see KD in L.A on halloween!!! have whole sleeve tattooed of king,mercyful fate album covers,a portrait of KD himself on my arm,DONT BREAK THE OATH on my chest,had my tickets back in 06 but tour was canceled,been KD.MF diehard fan for well over 10 years,finally able to see him is like a dream come true and on halloween to boot!!  :cool:  :king:

Offline JEDiamondM

• Spirit
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2014, 02:41:11 pm »
So why no shows in Detroit?

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2014, 02:45:33 pm »

Probably because promoters in Detroit were not offering a good enough offer for the band to play.

Offline Dr Demented

• Banshee
  • "I am burning for you..."
    • Michael Griffey on Facebook
« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2014, 12:44:18 pm »
Atlanta won't sellout anyways.....

He says, as the show sells out. I was like, "FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when it sold out before I got a chance to buy my ticket. Times are rough and losing the chance to see King again made it worse. >:(

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:50:12 pm by Dr Demented »
THE DEVIL IS A TRUCK DRIVER
http://www.michaelgriffey.com

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2014, 11:42:34 pm »
He says, as the show sells out. I was like, "FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when it sold out before I got a chance to buy my ticket. Times are rough and losing the chance to see King again made it worse. >:(

Periodically try and buy tickets.  Tickets for sold out shows almost always show up from time to time, especially as the show nears. 

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »
I'm assuming there will be an opening band? I'd love to see Acid Witch open, that would be sick.

Offline crutnut

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2014, 06:12:20 pm »
See you in Salt Lake City King! Will there be any sort of "meet & greet" type thing available? I already have my VIP tickets, but would definitely throw in more $ for something a little more personal!

Offline Dr Demented

• Banshee
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2014, 06:30:19 pm »
I don't know about anyone else, but I hate it when bands charge fans for a meet & greet. It's pandering at its worst.

Offline crutnut

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2014, 07:30:13 pm »
I don't know about anyone else, but I hate it when bands charge fans for a meet & greet. It's pandering at its worst.
I totally agree, but it's the direction a lot of bands are taking. However,  THIS particular show could be a "once in a lifetime". 25 plus years is too long to wait not to ask.

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2014, 07:34:33 pm »
Paid meet and greets suck, but they are a source of extra income in todays buisness. I hate them, but I understand them. Bands aren't selling 5 million albums anymore.

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2014, 10:52:38 pm »
Paid meet and greets suck, but they are a source of extra income in todays buisness. I hate them, but I understand them. Bands aren't selling 5 million albums anymore.

Exactly.  I have only paid for one meet and greet before.  It was for Uli Jon Roth, and it was $30.  There were about 50-75 people there so that was another $1500-$2250 into Uli's pocket.  That can definitely help a band make more money for touring and recording expenses.  I am all for it.  IF a band does a free meet and greet, that is awesome, too.  I won't rip on a band or an artist for doing a paid meet and greet.  I am not entitled to meet anybody, and if they are charging a fee I have a choice to pay for it and meet them or not pay and not meet them.  Simple as that.

Offline Dr Demented

• Banshee
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2014, 05:26:06 am »
I think if I paid for a ticket, a t-shirt and bought their albums that I've paid my dues. Maybe I'm just from an older generation, but paid meet and greets are for posers. Real musicians meet their fans after the show by the tourbus and don't charge for autographs and pictures.

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2014, 01:13:28 pm »
King's manager said on the first page of this thread that King Diamond would never charge for a meet and greet, so that answers that question.

King doesn't do them anyway right?  To rest his voice?  I feel like I remember reading that somewhere.

Offline ZachAttack

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2014, 01:38:29 pm »
Well the first time I saw KD, the tour bus was parked right in front of the venue so everyone waiting to get in got to meet the band anyway. At one point a roadie came out and just took stuff from everyone that they wanted signed, brought it on the bus, and the band signed it and he brought it back. This was before everyone had cameras in their phones though so not a lot of pictures going on. Unfortunately we were told King himself traveled separately from the rest of the band so he wasn't there. One cool thing was that the band was all watching a pro-shot concert video from what appeared to be the Conspiracy tour on a TV in their bus! Its footage I've never seen before, it looked like DVD quality. I could see right through the window to the TV so I saw like 30 minutes of it, I wish that video would surface some day.

Offline ZachAttack

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2014, 01:41:32 pm »

I heard an interview with Halloween (local Detroit shock/speed metal band from the 80s) that Detroit's clubs are all god awful and in very dangerous parts of town. They have a big stage set up and they talk about how at Harpos, as soon as they ended their set, all of their props and instruments would be thrown into the alley behind the venue and crackheads would be trying to steal their shit. They are from Detroit and have been playing there since the mid 80s and even they don't want to play their own hometown! Thats kind of how Cincinnati is. If a show is at Bogarts, I won't even go anymore. You have like an 80% chance you'll either get mugged or your car broken into. Thats the same venue where a kid died in the audience at a KD show
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:43:39 pm by ZachAttack »

Offline Dr Demented

• Banshee
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2014, 05:39:01 pm »
I got to meet King after a show once during the HoG tour. He took a photo with me and signed stuff. It was great. The pictures didn't turn out but I'll always have that awesome memory. :)

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2014, 10:04:20 am »
I am hoping they add songs to the setlist for the headlining US shows. Fourteen songs for a US headlining show is kind of light. I'd still love the show, but if I'm honest, I'd be a bit dissapointed getting a 14 song set. Like to see it bottom out at 18-20 songs minimum. Like to see Charon, Give Me Your Soul , The Lake, there are many that could fill out the set nicely. What are some of your thoughts on this.

Offline MagnusRex

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2014, 11:03:12 am »
It sounds like a pretty average setlist to me, but of course I'd agree with you that I'd rather my favorite band plays for longer than shorter.

That said, I kind of miss the old style of setlists when they would play a few songs from one album in one consecutive theme. But I guess when you've released as many albums as KD you're always gonna disappoint some people by not playing their favorite songs. I would have liked more Puppet Master but it is what it is.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2014, 12:35:23 pm »
Jesus, the tour hasn't even started yet and people already complaining. Whatever, I don't care if he sits up there and sings marry had a little lamb, it's king diamond and his shows have never disappointed before, I don't see it happening now.

Offline MagnusRex

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2014, 01:06:21 pm »
I'm with you. Not sure if my tone came off as complaining but I'm totally more than okay seeing King Diamond play the songs I know and love.

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2014, 01:19:35 pm »
An 18-20 song set list works for bands whose songs top out at around 3-3:45 minutes.
Our set covers the 90 minute playing time with less songs than that.
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline alta198

• Unborn
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2014, 01:29:24 pm »
At the North American tour, are there any chances that songs such as "Blood to walk, Magic, Never ending hill, Give me your soul, Mirror Mirror" are played? I mean their most recent songs.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:12:47 pm by alta198 »

Offline Dr Demented

• Banshee
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2014, 01:54:45 pm »
No complaint from me on his past sets, but I've always thought that with King's vast catalog, he should do a tour as "An evening with King Diamond" where the format is two 90-minute split sets (or 3-60 minute sets) with no opening acts. This tour is on the verge of selling out without anyone knowing who the opening acts are. He could certainly do the same if he was on his own. Less overhead and hassles with more profit to the band. Just my humble opinion.

Offline ZachAttack

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2014, 06:50:00 pm »
I am hoping they add songs to the setlist for the headlining US shows. Fourteen songs for a US headlining show is kind of light. I'd still love the show, but if I'm honest, I'd be a bit dissapointed getting a 14 song set. Like to see it bottom out at 18-20 songs minimum. Like to see Charon, Give Me Your Soul , The Lake, there are many that could fill out the set nicely. What are some of your thoughts on this.

the last 2 US tours he did, he played around 16-18 songs (not including intros and instrumentals)

The problem is he has too many damn songs at this point to where he HAS to leave some good stuff out. Personally I think the first show at the Sweden Rock Festival was the perfect set list, he played something from almost every album. I just hope he leaves in "At The Graves" for the upcoming US tour. As long as there are at least 2 songs from Abigail, Them, and Conspiracy, I don't care what else he plays. I will say its still weird to me to not see No Presents and Abigail in the set, I always thought those would be permanent
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:54:45 pm by ZachAttack »