Author Topic: King Diamond North American Tour 2014  (Read 125589 times)

Offline marblesmike

• Catacomb Crawler
Re: King Diamond North American Tour 2014
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2014, 06:45:26 am »
I read King is cancelling dates in Europe due to dehydration.

I really hope he can handle the tour here in the US.

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2014, 11:24:37 am »
I'd wager all of us with US  tix are collectively holding our breath.

Offline MagnusRex

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2014, 11:41:54 am »
Oh yes.

I'm hoping it was just an issue with vocal control since it's been a while.

Offline Douchebag St John

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Invoking the Master 2 procreate the Unholy Bastard
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2014, 02:56:52 pm »
I'd wager all of us with US  tix are collectively holding our breath.

Howdy all. First time poster and long time fan.

I concur with the above statement. I had tickets to the aborted tour several years ago and lovely Enter the Vault never refunded my money...I was leery to purchase this time but bought the boss jacket pre-order anyway because I knew ATL would sell out. Now I can't say I am not nervous.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:35:42 pm by Douchebag St John »
Ahh... I have longed to be at one with this
Yet, the waters call my name

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »
The lack of any official words, saying, hey guys and gals, don't worry, US shows are not going to be effected, or any real lack of official words of any kind, that is what is making me nervous. The fact that Wacken is supposed to be a go, that at least is encouraging.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:30:23 pm by krisjay »

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2014, 03:36:39 pm »
Just saw the Dr's note posted on Facebook.

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:53 pm »
OK guys...

I am of course not speaking on behalf of anyone, this is simply my own post.

Why on earth would a USA tour happening three whole months from now be affected by one single cancelled show?

King is not even dealing with this right now, he is trying his best to get his vocal chords to perform perfectly at Wacken for you all. He is not even sick or anything, it's entirely a vocal chord matter.

We just released info on our Facebooks including the doctor's note, sorry we couldn't get it out earlier. We can't immediately provide every "evidence" and info for everyone to see, right away. Hotel internet was down. We needed translations. We had to run get medications, inhalers, etc. Then doctor needed release forms from us as well, so we could get his report to our European booking agency, who needed this for the promoter in Tilburg.
But most of all, King has to rest his vocal chords.
Our first priority was not to take to the internet and make everything public right away, when we ourselves didn't even know what was going to happen.

Anyway, please be assured that a single cancelled show due to dehydrated vocal chords will not affect shows happening 3 months from now.

I've included an interesting read for those who care about vocalists' nightmare. It's all about what can happen to your vocal chords in extreme situations and how to get them back in shape as quick as possible.

I know it's hard to have patience in situations like these, but rather that than start speculating about things that are not known even to us.
You should always wait for the facts from us, however hard that might be.

http://singersresource.net/vocal-recovery/
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2014, 03:48:42 pm »
You should always wait for the facts from us, however hard that might be

This. Always this. Might need to post this somewhere so it's not forgotten.

Thanks for the update Livia.

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:00 pm »

I know it's hard to have patience in situations like these, but rather that than start speculating about things that are not known even to us.

Respectfully, and I can only speak for myself of course, I think there is a difference between expressing concern for what could happen and speculating that something WILL happen. I don't believe that any posts so far have fallen into the realm of " speculation "..at least not here in this thread anyway( I am new and have not had the chance to plug away at the rest of the board yet). Having already been through this once before back in '07 and having been burned badly to the tune of about $75-80 USD ( which at the time was a no small sum for me ) and already being in the hole $200 and some change this time, I think it would be natural for one to be concerned. As a fan, I hope it would be ok to express that concern, so long as one is not a complete dick( or hell, just a regular dick for that matter ) or just flat out lying ( IE the post on one of the Facebook groups I am in stating that the North American Tour had, in fact, been canceled( since deleted), which is how and why I ended up here in the first place, to find reliable information ). Also, for the record I am well aware that the BS in 07 with refunds was in no way Mr Diamond's fault or even his responsibility. That's solely on Enter the Vault.  Still, being a mammal with an eye for survival,  I am always mindful of past experiences and eager to not repeat them. I don't think its unreasonable to fear " I hope this isn't happening again ".  It's 100% unreasonable to state " He's going to cancel the tour " as fact. Again, I came here for reliable information in addition to discussion about Mr Diamonds wonderful body of work. Thank you for providing both.

Totally get that and thank you for your transparency, to the point of posting Mr Diamonds medical assessment. That is above and beyond anything I have ever seen any other artist do. I can only imagine what it must be like a for a vocalist to not be able to properly use their voice. It would be like me not being able to use my hands at all. How would I make a living? I can imagine that this is a concern that any artist must face in situations like these. I hope he has a speedy and full recovery, not just because I am extremely excited about FINALLY getting to see him live, but also for his own livelihood and well being.

I look very much forward to seeing you guys in Atlanta on October 11th and greatly appreciate the information that this page has provided.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2014, 06:03:49 pm »
OK guys...

I am of course not speaking on behalf of anyone, this is simply my own post.

Why on earth would a USA tour happening three whole months from now be affected by one single cancelled show?

King is not even dealing with this right now, he is trying his best to get his vocal chords to perform perfectly at Wacken for you all. He is not even sick or anything, it's entirely a vocal chord matter.

We just released info on our Facebooks including the doctor's note, sorry we couldn't get it out earlier. We can't immediately provide every "evidence" and info for everyone to see, right away. Hotel internet was down. We needed translations. We had to run get medications, inhalers, etc. Then doctor needed release forms from us as well, so we could get his report to our European booking agency, who needed this for the promoter in Tilburg.
But most of all, King has to rest his vocal chords.
Our first priority was not to take to the internet and make everything public right away, when we ourselves didn't even know what was going to happen.

Anyway, please be assured that a single cancelled show due to dehydrated vocal chords will not affect shows happening 3 months from now.

I've included an interesting read for those who care about vocalists' nightmare. It's all about what can happen to your vocal chords in extreme situations and how to get them back in shape as quick as possible.

Don't sweat it Livia, most of us know you guys always go above and beyond what most bands do when it comes to getting us news about things. Try not to let it get to you, because I am sure you and King are very frustrated as it is trying to figure out what was bothering his voice to begin with. You and King should just go check out some tourist areas and get away from all this internet crap with it's vicious and silly rumors! :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:04:14 pm by Satans KINGdom »

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2014, 06:13:56 pm »
I hope anything I stated did'nt come off as speculation, I assure you that was not the intent. I think for me, and perhaps many others, the fact that after, in some cases, 25-30 years being able to finally see an artist, who has been such a special part of peoples lives, such as King Diamond, finally seeing that artist live, is a big deal.  The music of King Diamond and Mercyful Fate is a part of peoples lives, in many cases as my own, unlike any other artist music, it is in our blood, the fact that we will in fact see King Diamond live is something that many of us never thought would happen  for a variety of reasons. The level of excitement is unparalled to any act I could think of seeing, this is a dream come true for many of us. So please, forgive me if it came off as speculation, it wasn't, it was fear. I assure you, I will wait until I hear the Official word from the KD camp in the future before posting based on fear. I hope King can get all his health in order, I wish him nothing but best wishes and get wells, I also will take the moment to thank King personally for years of life changing art, it is part of my being, as I am sure, millions of others. Hail King Diamond!!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:16:09 pm by krisjay »

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2014, 06:31:11 pm »
Having already been through this once before back in '07 and having been burned badly to the tune of about $75-80 USD

Why didn't you get a refund? I got one and I bought my tickets from the same place you got yours from. That Enter the Vault place? I got my money back within a week or two if memory serves. 

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:56 pm »
Why didn't you get a refund? I got one and I bought my tickets from the same place you got yours from. That Enter the Vault place? I got my money back within a week or two if memory serves.

I got an email from them saying that they would be issuing refunds via checks not back to the card utilize to purchase, which in and of itself was sketch. Needless to say that check never came and my address did not change for 4 years. Tried emailing them and received no response. So is how it goes with ticket sales I guess. I know the artists dont have dick to do with it.

Offline cls

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2014, 06:44:48 pm »
Let's face it: King Diamond is approaching 60 and sings in a manner that is difficult on the vocal chords.   He can talk about how his voice is stronger than ever, but Father Time comes for us all.   Falsetto isn't a natural vocal range.   He's got a distinctive style that he really can't hide with down-tuning or other tricks (though his wife's vocal assistance on stage seems to provide some relief).  There's a reason he has historically canceled shows in the middle of tours due to throat infections and whatnot.   To expect things to be any different this time around would be silly.  There's also a reason he doesn't play two-hour sets and doesn't include a lot of falsetto on his newer albums.  The Grona Lund setlist, in particular, seems a little throat-friendly.  I'm not complaining.  It is what it is.    He's certainly not lazy.  He just chose a bad vocal style to grow old with. I think, realistically, you can't expect too many more tours.  If he does tour in the future, catch the shows in the beginning.   I think his chances of getting through the North American tour without a couple of cancellations are pretty slim.

I still can't believe he's never released a proper DVD, for posterity's sake, if nothing else.  When the man hangs up the bone mic, I'd really hate for his live legacy to be shitty fan recordings on youtube.   

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2014, 06:49:51 pm »
I got an email from them saying that they would be issuing refunds via checks not back to the card utilize to purchase, which in and of itself was sketch. Needless to say that check never came and my address did not change for 4 years. Tried emailing them and received no response. So is how it goes with ticket sales I guess. I know the artists dont have dick to do with it.
That's not at all how it was with me. They credited my card back after I wrote them. It took them a week or two to refund it, but I got it back.

Why didn't you contact your credit card company and dispute the charge?

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2014, 09:53:43 pm »
That's not at all how it was with me. They credited my card back after I wrote them. It took them a week or two to refund it, but I got it back.

Why didn't you contact your credit card company and dispute the charge?

I did it with a debit card. When I went to my bank ( now no longer my back, hello credit union ) they told me I was SOL since it was a debit card and it had been over two weeks since the purchase. Mind you that the tour was cxl'd a few months after I bought the tickets. I am glad your experience was different. I remember reading in Blabbermouth comments back at the time that I was not the only one who dealt with that shitfuckery. I had a friend who bought Ministry tickets through Enter the Vault and showed up at the venue only to be told the tickets were " no good ". He cajolled his way inside. Its why I really don't like going through third party ticketing services if I can help it and I def would rather saw my own sack off than deal with PayPal....,meh, it is what it is. Live and learn.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2014, 10:31:16 pm »
I did it with a debit card. When I went to my bank ( now no longer my back, hello credit union ) they told me I was SOL since it was a debit card and it had been over two weeks since the purchase. Mind you that the tour was cxl'd a few months after I bought the tickets. I am glad your experience was different. I remember reading in Blabbermouth comments back at the time that I was not the only one who dealt with that shitfuckery. I had a friend who bought Ministry tickets through Enter the Vault and showed up at the venue only to be told the tickets were " no good ". He cajolled his way inside. Its why I really don't like going through third party ticketing services if I can help it and I def would rather saw my own sack off than deal with PayPal....,meh, it is what it is. Live and learn.
Bummer! That's why I never use my debit card for anything except stuff I trust. They probably would have pulled the same shit with me, but I had to write them twice, and the second time I just told them I would be calling the credit card company and esputing the charge if they didn';t refund me the money. They said it just took time and there was no reason to do that, and I should just wait blah blah blah, but the next day my refund magically showed up on my card. Go figure...

And I am a little uneasy about the tickets for this show. I bought those VIP tickets that comes with the Jacket, and it's willcall only. I don't like that, I want the ticket in hand at least a month ahead of time, unless it's something I have used before. Never heard of this company hthese tickets were sold under, so I hope it's legit, or I'm gonna have to kill someone if we don't get in.

No worries King or Livia, you're not on the list of people I will have to kill lol Not unless this ticket company is owned by you or the band! :D

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2014, 10:34:11 pm »
Let's face it: King Diamond is approaching 60 and sings in a manner that is difficult on the vocal chords.   He can talk about how his voice is stronger than ever, but Father Time comes for us all.   Falsetto isn't a natural vocal range.   He's got a distinctive style that he really can't hide with down-tuning or other tricks (though his wife's vocal assistance on stage seems to provide some relief).  There's a reason he has historically canceled shows in the middle of tours due to throat infections and whatnot.   To expect things to be any different this time around would be silly.  There's also a reason he doesn't play two-hour sets and doesn't include a lot of falsetto on his newer albums.  The Grona Lund setlist, in particular, seems a little throat-friendly.  I'm not complaining.  It is what it is.    He's certainly not lazy.  He just chose a bad vocal style to grow old with. I think, realistically, you can't expect too many more tours.  If he does tour in the future, catch the shows in the beginning.   I think his chances of getting through the North American tour without a couple of cancellations are pretty slim.

I still can't believe he's never released a proper DVD, for posterity's sake, if nothing else.  When the man hangs up the bone mic, I'd really hate for his live legacy to be shitty fan recordings on youtube.

Cls, it's been the circumstances which led to his vocal chords getting slammed, not him getting older.

Hell, we did a tour last year with some gigs in tough locations (Tolmin, for instance), and we had no problems.

When uncontrollable circumstances get together in the worst way possible (we fully missed several nights's sleep, performed in 32 degrees celsius heat, having had to talk a lot, missing out on warm meals for 4-5 days in a row, etc), there's nothing we could have done to prevent these from affecting King. I myself am pretty hoarse from the same reasons, but since I sing far far less than King, I have it much easier.
One cannot just exchange vocal chords, like guitarists can do with strings.
Oh how I wish we could! :)

Oh and p.s.: I sing backing harmonies. I am not singing in the band to help with high notes. :)

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #193 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:05 pm »
Douchebag St John:

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with losing your money to the ticket people!

As you have correctly said it, we have nothing to do with ticket sales, ever. We don't set prices (we don't even know what the prices are), and we don't (and cannot) handle refunds or anything of the sort.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2014, 12:08:14 am »

Cls, it's been the circumstances which led to his vocal chords getting slammed, not him getting older.

Hell, we did a tour last year with some gigs in tough locations (Tolmin, for instance), and we had no problems.

When uncontrollable circumstances get together in the worst way possible (we fully missed several nights's sleep, performed in 32 degrees celsius heat, having had to talk a lot, missing out on warm meals for 4-5 days in a row, etc), there's nothing we could have done to prevent these from affecting King. I myself am pretty hoarse from the same reasons, but since I sing far far less than King, I have it much easier.
One cannot just exchange vocal chords, like guitarists can do with strings.
Oh how I wish we could! :)

Oh and p.s.: I sing backing harmonies. I am not singing in the band to help with high notes. :)
You actually read through that whole post? I stopped after he/she said he was almost 60. :D

More importantly, did you do what Doctor SatansKingdom said and get out and have some fun and leave all this intenet silliness alone for the day? If not, shame on you!  :diabo_do_msn:

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2014, 12:16:21 am »
You actually read through that whole post? I stopped after he/she said he was almost 60. :D

More importantly, did you do what Doctor SatansKingdom said and get out and have some fun and leave all this intenet silliness alone for the day? If not, shame on you!  :diabo_do_msn:

No, we didn't go out, but we did get a massive amount of very much needed sleep :)

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2014, 02:02:54 am »
I have studied singing by a man who covers Deep Purple and played with Ian Paice. He has a very, very strong and crazy falsetto!
Let me tell you that the reason why King's voice goes better and improved througout the years is because he always sang with a correct approach and posture! For a real singer who does it in the correct way, the passing years are not a problem! On the contrary! And King is the proof!
All those singers who after many years have lost part of their ability always made too effort in their vocal chords, approaching in a wrong way!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:51:14 am by Blackest »

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2014, 08:39:32 am »
And I am a little uneasy about the tickets for this show. I bought those VIP tickets that comes with the Jacket, and it's willcall only. I don't like that, I want the ticket in hand at least a month ahead of time, unless it's something I have used before. Never heard of this company hthese tickets were sold under, so I hope it's legit, or I'm gonna have to kill someone if we don't get in.

Totally my concern as well. The only reasons I took the plunge are A) the jacket is totally bad ass. Got one for myself and my lady friend. B) I KNEW this tour was going to sell out and that opening night in ATL ( the closest show to me AND on a weekend ) would go fast. C) Since this tour is SUCH a big deal, the the potential for ticketing company BS would be incredibly low.

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:36 am »
As you have correctly said it, we have nothing to do with ticket sales, ever. We don't set prices (we don't even know what the prices are), and we don't (and cannot) handle refunds or anything of the sort.

Yep artists eat all the crap when things go wrong, even though its the promoters and venues that set the prices and handle sales. Believe me, I knew at the time it was not the KD org responsible for that debacle.

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2014, 08:48:28 am »
Yep artists eat all the crap when things go wrong, even though its the promoters and venues that set the prices and handle sales. Believe me, I knew at the time it was not the KD org responsible for that debacle.

Thank you :)