Author Topic: Mercyful Fate shows possible...  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
Re: Mercyful Fate shows possible...
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 10:27:53 pm »
One of things I have dead KD say over the years that I find believable but surprising is that , essentially MF doesn't/wouldn't make any money. I am not sure if thats because its more of a collaborative band or the logistics of getting everyone in the same place being a pain in the ass. The monetary side of the music biz can be down right bizarre sometimes.

I do not know any of the details about the financials about Mercyful Fate, but I think things may be different now.  It has been almost 15 years since Mercyful Fate played its last show, almost the same amount of time it was from the release of Melissa to the release of 9.  That is a LONG time.  Perhaps the attendance at many of the shows on the 9 tour were poor, I am not sure.  However, they did five tours in six years.  That is an awful lot of touring for a band.  If the attendance for the last couple tours were disappointing (and that is a big if.  I don't have any attendance figures for those tours).  It may have been many of the casual fans not buying a ticket to the Dead Again or the 9 tours because Mercyful Fate is in their area all the time and they would catch them next year.  I think, at the very least, doing the European festival circuit and a run of a dozen or so dates across North America would probably be worthwhile for Mercyful Fate. 

Offline Douchebag St John

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Invoking the Master 2 procreate the Unholy Bastard
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 11:44:56 am »

I do not know any of the details about the financials about Mercyful Fate, but I think things may be different now.  It has been almost 15 years since Mercyful Fate played its last show, almost the same amount of time it was from the release of Melissa to the release of 9.  That is a LONG time.  Perhaps the attendance at many of the shows on the 9 tour were poor, I am not sure.  However, they did five tours in six years.  That is an awful lot of touring for a band.  If the attendance for the last couple tours were disappointing (and that is a big if.  I don't have any attendance figures for those tours).  It may have been many of the casual fans not buying a ticket to the Dead Again or the 9 tours because Mercyful Fate is in their area all the time and they would catch them next year.  I think, at the very least, doing the European festival circuit and a run of a dozen or so dates across North America would probably be worthwhile for Mercyful Fate.

I hope you are right. After October 11, MF will be the only band left on my bucket list.
Ahh... I have longed to be at one with this
Yet, the waters call my name

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 04:24:05 pm »
I hope you are right. After October 11, MF will be the only band left on my bucket list.

I hope I am right, too.  The show I saw on the Time tour was one of the best shows I have ever been to. 

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 05:21:44 pm »

I hope I am right, too.  The show I saw on the Time tour was one of the best shows I have ever been to.

You are quite lucky. Quite lucky indeed!  :king:

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 05:35:45 pm »
You are quite lucky. Quite lucky indeed!  :king:

January 1995.   I saw Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins at the show.  He was into the show more than anybody else there.  He also shared his weed with me.  :)

Offline 4StringsRcooler

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 04:39:40 pm »
Just listened to the Trunk show.  I am not going to hold my breath until there's a MF show,  that's for dasmn sure.  He laughed off the , "I'll make sure it happens", Metal Blade guy.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 05:43:30 am »
More than anything, it's something very possible  but stuck in limbo between the involved parties. I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that it has two do with either Mercyful Fate compilation DVD being delayed or the difficulties in making and selling a new Mercyful Fate album-that has to be tied into the tour. Now maybe some of the fans can give their accounts of Mercyful Fate shows in the 1990's? Judging from the footage, they looked pretty crowed to me. Take this into account: During the 1990's King Diamond the band only toured the USA once for the Voodoo album. The more "profitable" band only toured once while MF toured the USA for EVERY studio album of the 1990's. And they headlined the Milwaukee Metalfest if I remember correctly. Also it's the MF songs Metallica covered, not the KD ones. King Diamond STILL plays "Evil" and "Come to The Sabbath" for crying out loud!

You can not tell me that no body on this board would jump up out of their seats for the chance to see Mercyful Fate live one last time if at all. My suggestion: Put out the DVD already; don't worry about it being perfect, pick a couple of early shows and release it as Volume 1, then concentrate on editing Volume 2 as you see fit. We fans would be thrilled to get any old MF footage on long overdue official DVD. Then King should should sing on some tracks from some left over Force of Evil demos, and that can be the basis for a new MF album....I know most people here would find that extremely badass....and if anyone says anything to the contrary, I say Brats and Zoser Mez!

Don't get me wrong, I wish the current KD tour much success and Abigail is by far my favorite album of all time, but Mercyful Fate is just as worthy a musical legacy and sonic juggernaut of evil and awesomeness!  :king:
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 07:13:43 am »
What DVD?  After hearing about these DVDs King was working on for months he suddenly said they changed their minds and will not put put those special DVDs out that we heard about with all of the rare special footage and stuff
"Satanism is about the Powers/Spirits of Darkness/Unknown" - King Diamond

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 10:16:04 am »
More than anything, it's something very possible  but stuck in limbo between the involved parties. I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that it has two do with either Mercyful Fate compilation DVD being delayed or the difficulties in making and selling a new Mercyful Fate album-that has to be tied into the tour. Now maybe some of the fans can give their accounts of Mercyful Fate shows in the 1990's? Judging from the footage, they looked pretty crowed to me. Take this into account: During the 1990's King Diamond the band only toured the USA once for the Voodoo album. The more "profitable" band only toured once while MF toured the USA for EVERY studio album of the 1990's. And they headlined the Milwaukee Metalfest if I remember correctly. Also it's the MF songs Metallica covered, not the KD ones. King Diamond STILL plays "Evil" and "Come to The Sabbath" for crying out loud!

You can not tell me that no body on this board would jump up out of their seats for the chance to see Mercyful Fate live one last time if at all. My suggestion: Put out the DVD already; don't worry about it being perfect, pick a couple of early shows and release it as Volume 1, then concentrate on editing Volume 2 as you see fit. We fans would be thrilled to get any old MF footage on long overdue official DVD. Then King should should sing on some tracks from some left over Force of Evil demos, and that can be the basis for a new MF album....I know most people here would find that extremely badass....and if anyone says anything to the contrary, I say Brats and Zoser Mez!

Don't get me wrong, I wish the current KD tour much success and Abigail is by far my favorite album of all time, but Mercyful Fate is just as worthy a musical legacy and sonic juggernaut of evil and awesomeness!  :king:

Amen
BAMT

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 05:52:42 pm »
Just saw this on Hanks FB posting:

"Part Two of DBTO 30Y Out Now!! This wraps up the celebration for the Album! New exciting "stuff" in the pipeline up next! ...\m/"

really got me hoping now....

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:23 am »
Just saw this on Hanks FB posting:

"Part Two of DBTO 30Y Out Now!! This wraps up the celebration for the Album! New exciting "stuff" in the pipeline up next! ...\m/"

really got me hoping now....

I saw that too. I could imagine Kings triumphant return to the states has to open some doors.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 01:03:58 am »
I saw that too. I could imagine Kings triumphant return to the states has to open some doors.
I don't think you should hold your breath for it. It may just be news from Denner/Shermann. I highly doubt that it will be Mercyful Fate

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 03:26:34 am »
Of course this will have no effect at all, but I'll suggest to the MF camp to:

1- Make us vote for the best songs of every album. Aim for at least a 2h-long list of songs.

2- With the data above, select 70 minutes of studio tracks, remaster them and put them on one CD.

3- Considering the same data, complete other 70 minutes of live and rare material, including the two Guitar Hero retakes. Put that on a second CD.

4- Wait for Shermann & Denner to sharpen their chops together and then organize a couple of special MF shows. Consider the same data to conform a setlist. 45 to 60 minutes long can be enough -please don't burn yourselves out. Then film the shows and edit a DVD. If possible, invite Mike Wead to play on some songs -specially on those from "9". Do that in East Europe, so the filming crew would cost less.

5- Put everything together and release it as a deluxe or limited package containing two CDs and one bonus DVD.

One last suggestion: Consider crowdfunding. Using kickstarter.com or any other crowdfunding platform (as Queensryche is doing at this very moment, or MAB did a couple of years ago, or Jason Becker did with his "Not Dead Yet" DVD, and so on...) will minimize the financial risks.

I know all above is doable, will please the supporters (I hate the word "fan" to define myself) and will also imply very limited financial risk for the band and/or the label.

And BTW, just to be explicit about it (as King seems to be overzealous about his stuff), I claim no credit at all for this idea, as there's nothing new with this approach.

So now please, just fucking do it! :)

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 08:36:32 am »
Of course this will have no effect at all, but I'll suggest to the MF camp to:

1- Make us vote for the best songs of every album. Aim for at least a 2h-long list of songs.

2- With the data above, select 70 minutes of studio tracks, remaster them and put them on one CD.

3- Considering the same data, complete other 70 minutes of live and rare material, including the two Guitar Hero retakes. Put that on a second CD.

4- Wait for Shermann & Denner to sharpen their chops together and then organize a couple of special MF shows. Consider the same data to conform a setlist. 45 to 60 minutes long can be enough -please don't burn yourselves out. Then film the shows and edit a DVD. If possible, invite Mike Wead to play on some songs -specially on those from "9". Do that in East Europe, so the filming crew would cost less.

5- Put everything together and release it as a deluxe or limited package containing two CDs and one bonus DVD.

One last suggestion: Consider crowdfunding. Using kickstarter.com or any other crowdfunding platform (as Queensryche is doing at this very moment, or MAB did a couple of years ago, or Jason Becker did with his "Not Dead Yet" DVD, and so on...) will minimize the financial risks.

I know all above is doable, will please the supporters (I hate the word "fan" to define myself) and will also imply very limited financial risk for the band and/or the label.

And BTW, just to be explicit about it (as King seems to be overzealous about his stuff), I claim no credit at all for this idea, as there's nothing new with this approach.

So now please, just fucking do it! :)

I would absolutely contribute to a crowdfuning campaign for MF.

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 12:46:47 pm »
plus me MF is my favorite band
BAMT

Offline ElektroDragon

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 04:43:08 pm »
Well here's my dream setlist for such a show in no particular order.  Take note organizers!

Evil (kind of a given even if I feel it gets too much attention)
Black Funeral
Satan's Fall
A Dangerous Meeting
Gypsy
Come To the Sabbath
The Bell Witch
Is That You, Melissa
The Uninvited Guest
Nightmare Be Thy Name
Sold My Soul
Insane (from 9)
Room of Golden Air for Outro

Oh and if you want to cameo a King Diamond song, do "Follow the Wolf".  Just because I think House of God is the best thing from King since The Eye.
Yes, I did leave out the entire Dead Again album.  :D:

And I don't necessarily think they need the original MF lineup to pull this off aside from King.  Wead and LaRoque are more than capable of playing any MF song to perfection.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:51:44 pm by ElektroDragon »

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 05:11:52 pm »

Yes, I did leave out the entire Dead Again album.  :D:

Honestly, I like that album and The Lady Who Cries has a Sabbath worthy riff for the pre-chorus

Offline yamzx1

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 11:31:18 pm »
Hate to say it, but with the exception of In The Shadows and Time, I really really dislike the 90's MF stuff.

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2014, 12:04:26 am »
Hate to say it, but with the exception of In The Shadows and Time, I really really dislike the 90's MF stuff.

I think those are easily the strongest of the 1990s Mercyful Fate catalog.  However, there is some cool stuff on Into the Unknown and 9. 

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 12:07:10 pm »

I donĀ“t agree I loved all MF stuff is awesome even more than the King diamond music, MF is the beast, Dead Again for example is a master piece
BAMT

Offline yamzx1

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2014, 03:45:07 pm »
I think those are easily the strongest of the 1990s Mercyful Fate catalog.  However, there is some cool stuff on Into the Unknown and 9.

That's true. Buried Alive is actually the first MF song I ever heard and I thought it was great, still has a place in my heart.

There are some cool songs on those two albums. Into The Unknown, Mad Arab II, Holy Water. 9 has Buried Alive, Kiss The Demon, a few others.

I still dislike Dead Again. King sings in a different way on that album and it just doesn't do him justice. Lady Who Cries and Crossroads are cool though. (My opinion of course.)

IMO, Time is a masterpiece. That's a great record start to finish and I rank it up there with Melissa and Don't Break the Oath.

I just think that the mid-late 90's were sort of a "dip" for both KD and MF. I adore the Puppet Master and GMYSP. He sounded great on this last tour.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:50:30 pm by yamzx1 »

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 08:21:24 pm »
Dead Again is the best Mercyful Fate album from the 1990's, no doubt about that, and one of the best albums ever released. I love the atmosphere, the songs are beyond awesome and lyrical wise it's the best of all MF albums. As a literature major, great lyrics are very important to me. Dead Again is as good as Melissa and DBTO, if you ask me. I love all Mercyful Fate albums but Into the Unknown is definitely the weakest one of them. It's very cool album as well, just weakest of the MF albums.  In addition, Time is also one of the best for sure, it contains some of my all-time favorite MF tracks and Snowy Shaw is one hell of a drummer.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:39:31 am by Hammer »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 11:49:34 pm »
It's really a matter of taste, unless you are one of those types that just can't seem to get out of their "classics only" comfort zone and give the newer stuff a fair chance.

Time is a hugely underrated masterpiece-Even King acknowledges fans telling him that. King is using his "Come To The Sabbath-y" vocals on nearly every song, especially the choruses. There is a lot of haunting melody to the music. It's still a heavy album. Could the guitars be heavier? Yeah, but so can the guitars on DBTO.

Dead Again has been highly rated among many fans. My complaint is that King does not use enough of his low, gothic mid-range on this, but his vocals are still great and the songs are very much in the classic MF style with a strong return to occult/folklore themes.

I was just thinking about how strange it is that King Diamond only had one support band (not counting Salt Lake City and the Fest appearance). If King did it before, why not add Mercyful Fate as an opening if not co/headlining band. We would be looking at a shorter set, but better than no set. 45-60 min MF set, then let a support band come on to give King some rest then close with KD  :king:
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 02:28:18 am »

I was just thinking about how strange it is that King Diamond only had one support band (not counting Salt Lake City and the Fest appearance). If King did it before, why not add Mercyful Fate as an opening if not co/headlining band. We would be looking at a shorter set, but better than no set. 45-60 min MF set, then let a support band come on to give King some rest then close with KD  :king:

Eddie Trunk did and interview with King before the tour, and King mentioned the time both bands toured together, he said he will NEVER do that again, because it is too much for him. 

Offline Wizzard

• Victimized
    • myspace
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 09:41:58 pm »
KD/MF together would've been a dream tour for me!!!

The only KD/MF I dont care for is... uuuh... :read:... none I guess!