Author Topic: King Diamond Announces Jess and the Ancient Ones as Support  (Read 18074 times)

Offline Miguel_Angel

• A Family Ghost
Re: King Diamond Announces Jess and the Ancient Ones as Support
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 01:10:25 am »
I like it and I'm ready for Tucson! :king:
Angel...dont leave me now!!!

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 05:30:04 pm »
Gonna be a epic show with or without this opening act so for me its a plus to check them out .....as long as it doesnt cut into my our KING time . :D :king:
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline Painkiller

• Up From The Grave
  • Rocking the Night Away
    • Forces of Steel
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:33 pm »
I've heard many good things about Visigoth. It's too bad they only get one gig for this tour.

Offline Nyarlathotep666

• Unborn
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:47 pm »
I was really (and I mean really, REALLY) hoping Ghost/Ghost B.C. would be the opening band.  That would have made my century!  But I checked out JATAO and I like them.  I bought their album and it's quite good but not great.  Overall they sound like Jefferson Airplane on Satan.  The lead guitar is the deal-breaker for me; it's mostly pentatonic box patterns played with questionable intonation... very novice.  I am anxious to see how they pull it off live.

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 08:26:54 am »
Just checked them out also. Ok sounding retro rock. Nothing to get carried away with. I'll check 'em out in a live setting for sure. I'm just glad it's not a power metal band!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 06:35:00 pm »
Wow, an excellent choice from King!!! As a Finn I'm very happy for my fellow-countrymen. They do deserve this great opportunity.

Jess and the Ancient Ones is truly amazing live band. Their live sound is always very dynamic and heavy, and the vocalist lady is a great performer. I love their debut album. Sulfur Giants is by far my favorite song from that awesome album. It's a long epic song. It starts very slowly but turns out to be a one heavy melodic masterpiece.

Check this out, my American friends: Sulfur Giants.

Both, the full lenght album and the 3 song EP are great. For example the long song More than Living from the EP is phenomenal.

P.S. Chagosomar asked where I have been. Well, I've been lurking in the shadows. :D:

Thanks for posting that link , song is pretty cool ......Certainly gonna check out more  :icon_cool:

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 06:36:28 pm »
I understand what Spectre is saying.

There are quite a few occult rock bands who are doing the "Coven" thing. 70's occult-prog revival, many times with a singer who sounds like Grace Slick/Jinx Dawson singing about occult stuff. I can dig some of it. The point he's making that it shows up a lot lately is quite valid. I'm just not as annoyed as he.

The way I see it, if someone hears a certain type of music and loves it enough to want to create something like it, who would I be to judge? Also, I'm not in a position to discern what was made out of love and what was made out of mimicry.

If you like Jess and The Ancient Ones, you'd probably also like
Purson:
http://youtu.be/47CP2-f5mdg
 http://youtu.be/EEVOABq8zzU (<- this song rules)

Blood Ceremony:
http://youtu.be/nRJwTS_2M5M

Horisont:
http://youtu.be/r3hOX56m8GE

If you enjoy that type of music there is A LOT out there and a lot of it is quite good.

I'm excited for Jess and the ancient ones. Should be interesting and a nice change of pace.

I was almost Expecting Purson to be a choice for the tour ..... I saw Blood ceremony play last year & they were really good ...weird thing is they were out touring & had no cd's to sell ......not a good move at all . :icon_eek:

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 12:49:48 pm »
What a gift Jess and the Ancient Ones have become, I have connected with thier music on a spiritual level, it feeds my soul. I listen to the 1st record and the EP everyday, it is as if they have been apart of my life forever. I had the chance to tell them what an honor it was seeing them at the Palladium show, as for me it was. Jess was singing with such passion at the Palladium, I got very emotional during More Than Living, it was incredible. Thank you King and Livia (I think you had a bit to do with them being on the bill Livia) as it is a great gift to give or expose someone to music that becomes a part of someone. For those that don't get it thats ok, but remember to be respectful at the shows, I saw a couple morons at the Palladium show acting a fool and being disrespectful to the band, not cool. King Diamond was the show of my lifetime, Jess and the Ancient Ones will now be with me for life, thanks again.

EDIT:If you think JATAO•s aint heavy, you might want to read the lyrics to the songs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:59:57 pm by krisjay »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 02:05:46 am »
I have to agree with Krisjay....Thank you King, Livia and company for bringing this very magnificent band on board what is already a killer tour. There is something truly soul stirring about Jess and the Ancient Ones. So what if others have done or are doing that style? JATAO are doing it right here right now and they do it VERY WELL. I love the Jefferson Airplane/Coven influence of this band, but there is something else going one here; an underlying 1970's/Early, early, early 1980's Heavy Metal sound and something else I can't put my finger on....yet is an extremely haunting quality nevertheless.
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 06:08:07 pm »
What a gift Jess and the Ancient Ones have become, I have connected with thier music on a spiritual level, it feeds my soul. I listen to the 1st record and the EP everyday, it is as if they have been apart of my life forever. I had the chance to tell them what an honor it was seeing them at the Palladium show, as for me it was. Jess was singing with such passion at the Palladium, I got very emotional during More Than Living, it was incredible. Thank you King and Livia (I think you had a bit to do with them being on the bill Livia) as it is a great gift to give or expose someone to music that becomes a part of someone. For those that don't get it thats ok, but remember to be respectful at the shows, I saw a couple morons at the Palladium show acting a fool and being disrespectful to the band, not cool. King Diamond was the show of my lifetime, Jess and the Ancient Ones will now be with me for life, thanks again.

EDIT:If you think JATAO•s aint heavy, you might want to read the lyrics to the songs.

That is so cool you found a new band you enjoy ...... that's what it's all about ..... I too was at the same show , Sadly i spent their whole set waiting in the merch line ...i heard them ,but only saw a little of the show ...my friend i was with bought a sweatshirt from them .

Offline ZachAttack

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:40 am »
I was not very impressed with seeing them live. The singer and one of the guitarists seemed to be into it and the rest of the band just stood there motionless and seemed like they could care less to even be there. Their name wasn't on the ticket, wasn't on the marquee, wasn't announced by anyone beforehand, and then the singer never once spoke to the audience or even bothered to say anything like "We are Jess and the Ancient Ones" so unless you know beforehand, there was no way of even knowing who they were. It felt like okay lets just play our songs and get out of here. Not even a "thanks to King Diamond for bringing us on tour" or anything.  It just drives me nuts when a band gets the opportunity to go on tour with an established well known band and then just phones it in

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 08:30:50 am »
^ They are not everyone's cup of tea. I guess they just wanted to let the music do the talking? :gah: I do agree, that it would have been a cool thing to do if they had said some compliments towards the King Diamond band. We Finnish people are quite introverted in general, maybe that was the case. They were just a bit shy or nervous. Well, I'm just kidding of course, but there might be a little piece of truth on what I said. If I recall right, for some reason they aren't speaking anything even when they play in Finland. They just play great music.
It's a huge opportunity for them to play in States, I'm sure they are very enthusiastic about that. Sad to hear it didn't look like that in Chicago.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:31:33 am by Hammer »

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 08:46:36 am »
I thought they were okay and put on a solid performance. There are other bands in that genre that I like way, way better but they did a good job overall considering this was the probably the first tour for them in the states opening for a big act like King Diamond . The only thing that I think they could have done was take a break between songs. They were just rolling through them but some bands just do that.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:48:55 am by Maiden Jersey »

Offline ZachAttack

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 12:43:46 pm »
^ They are not everyone's cup of tea. I guess they just wanted to let the music do the talking? :gah: I do agree, that it would have been a cool thing to do if they had said some compliments towards the King Diamond band. We Finnish people are quite introverted in general, maybe that was the case. They were just a bit shy or nervous. Well, I'm just kidding of course, but there might be a little piece of truth on what I said. If I recall right, for some reason they aren't speaking anything even when they play in Finland. They just play great music.
It's a huge opportunity for them to play in States, I'm sure they are very enthusiastic about that. Sad to hear it didn't look like that in Chicago.

I don't have any problem with their music. 1 or 2 of the songs were decent, nothing I would listen to again, but they didn't suck or anything. It was just the performance was very boring (from the rest of the band, not the singer), and the fact that their name was never even mentioned makes it seem like they just don't even care. You would think they are on tour in the US, their goal is to get new fans from this country, then they would at the very least say what the name of the band is. I am sure there were a lot of people there that liked them, and if any of those people want to look them up and buy their CD, they won't even know who to look for

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 11:40:28 pm »

I don't have any problem with their music. 1 or 2 of the songs were decent, nothing I would listen to again, but they didn't suck or anything. It was just the performance was very boring (from the rest of the band, not the singer), and the fact that their name was never even mentioned makes it seem like they just don't even care. You would think they are on tour in the US, their goal is to get new fans from this country, then they would at the very least say what the name of the band is. I am sure there were a lot of people there that liked them, and if any of those people want to look them up and buy their CD, they won't even know who to look for
You made your point clear. I understand. :P For what I'm trying to say, that they never say anything while playing live shows if I recall right. It's kind of ritual thing, I would assume. They try to keep that mystical vibe and atmosphere going on without interrupting it by speaking something after the songs. I won't say if it's good or bad, just their way of handling live gigs and it's an unusual way and it might be annoying for some.

I agree that they should at least tell people who they are and give King Diamond some credit. But I'm not pissed of if they aren't doing that as I like their music and live sound. Cool to hear that you liked at least some of the songs played by Jess and the Ancient Ones.

However, we should be at least happy that Jess and the Ancient Ones are the supporting band. I do remember how I hated when cheesy Italian power metal band Secret Sphere were opening King Diamond in Europe 2006. That was annoying as I have to be at front row while they were playing just to see KD show from the best possible place. The other supporting act in 2006 tour was Loch Vostok, nothing special musically but they were nice guys and gave King Diamond a lot of credit. I would have been extra happy to get something like Jess and the Ancient Ones before the King Diamond band. Also as a Maiden fan I have used to see mediocre newer bands like Trivium opening up for Iron Maiden.

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 03:40:56 pm »
Like most of you, I have seen countless opening acts; some good, some bad, some horrible, some that blew the headliner off the stage!... but I rarely saw a crowd being so unresponsive to one as it was for Jess and the Ancient Ones. I absolutely didn't mind that they never said a word or a thank you. And I did find them better in a live setting, but they are a mismatch for this tour. There were some fans, and some paid attention, but most people were checking their phones, or just talked the whole time they played. In fact, around the 4th-5th song, the general chatter of the hall was louder than the band, no kidding!
I felt bad for them. They would be better off opening for a smaller similar known act, who would attract an audience more inclined to listen to them.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 05:31:00 pm »
Like most of you, I have seen countless opening acts; some good, some bad, some horrible, some that blew the headliner off the stage!... but I rarely saw a crowd being so unresponsive to one as it was for Jess and the Ancient Ones. I absolutely didn't mind that they never said a word or a thank you. And I did find them better in a live setting, but they are a mismatch for this tour. There were some fans, and some paid attention, but most people were checking their phones, or just talked the whole time they played. In fact, around the 4th-5th song, the general chatter of the hall was louder than the band, no kidding!
I felt bad for them. They would be better off opening for a smaller similar known act, who would attract an audience more inclined to listen to them.
I'm looking forward to seeing them live, but I don't like what I am hearing about their attitude on stage. They don't even thank the crowd after they are done with their set? That's pretty lame if you ask me. To me that comes off as if they are saying we aren't worthy of their attention and we should be happy they let us in the venue to hear them play. Don't care if they don't say stuff in between songs, but not to give a simple thanks at the end is kind of lame.

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 01:32:56 am »
I can't get it. What kind of wimps and posers there were among the crowd? :icon_eek: Jess and the Ancient Ones isn't THAT different musically (at least compared to some earlier opening bands that has played before King during the earlier tours). I understand if heavy metal fans doesn't like opening acts who play metalcore or some newer modern metal. Seems like people aren't into 70'ies vibe in their music anymore. Lyrical wise Jess and the Ancient One's should be a good match for KD maniacs as well.

I hate it when people doesn't give a fair opportunity for a band that King Diamond himself has selected personally. It's so narrow-minded and childish to be that much against the opening act. If you don't like the band, that's okay, but talking while the band is playing is very disrespectful and rude. ::)

Like Satans KINGdom stated, I do agree that band should thank the crowd and the headliner at least at the end of the show.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:48:26 am by Hammer »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 03:25:34 am »
I am discouraged to hear they don't do any interaction with the audience, yet I too am still looking forward to seeing them as well as KD. A mismatch? Never! Someone must be not too familiar with Kings musical roots or has never listened to the Black Rose cd to think that.

Maybe, as it has been pointed out, it's a cultural thing-Finns will say how their country is famous for depression and drinking from time to time. Another thing to consider is the audience's own reaction and just maybe this is how Jess and The Ancient Ones get through it? I remember in 2003, KD had this female fronted goth/industrial/metal band opening called Nocturne and some in the audience were very hostile to the girl.

Well anyways, I wish things were different and Jess and the Ancient Ones would thank the crowd and KD and maybe cover a Mercyful Fate song, but it is what it is and the music is still great, IMHO. I still remember how disappointed I was when Blackie barely acknowledged the audience during a 2008 WASP headliner show- Awesome concert nevertheless. And hey, JATAO is way more talkative and  appreciative on their facebook at least.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:27:04 am by Count Jonah »
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 03:35:20 pm »
If anyone noticed, Jess is pretty much in a trance as soon as she walks onstage. The whole set is ritualistic. This isn't a "Hey Dever, Let"s party" kind of band. For some it works, some it doesn't. I think if you read the lyrics to the songs, the whole trance like ritual of the set might make a bit more sense. Like all bands, some like it some don"t.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2014, 03:38:27 pm »
If anyone noticed, Jess is pretty much in a trance as soon as she walks onstage. The whole set is ritualistic. This isn't a "Hey Dever, Let"s party" kind of band. For some it works, some it doesn't. I think if you read the lyrics to the songs, the whole trance like ritual of the set might make a bit more sense. Like all bands, some like it some don"t.
Neither is Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, but at least they said thank you after they were done ripping my ears apart. I don't care if it's supposed to be ritualistic, say thank you to your audience, or you'll be doing rituals in your garage in front of no one.

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 05:03:40 am »
Well said. That's exactly what I have been trying to put into words.

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2014, 06:57:43 am »
I don't need to be thanked or talked to by a band. I am there for the music and that speaks enough to me. Loved their set in Worcester.
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline ZachAttack

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 06:07:38 am »
I remember in 2003, KD had this female fronted goth/industrial/metal band opening called Nocturne and some in the audience were very hostile to the girl.

hahaha I was just going to mention that. For those of you who live in the US (or if the show came on in your country), there was a really stupid reality show called "Rock of Love" where all these girls lived in a house and competed to be Bret Michaels' (singer of Poison) girlfriend, and the singer for Nocturne was on one of the shows and came pretty close to winning. I remember when I saw it I was like "wtf....thats the girl that opened for King Diamond!". As for their performance, I remember they had a laptop hooked up to the PA to play all their techno crap and there would be long pauses in between songs as the drummer had to locate the correct file to play, and at another point he had to reboot the computer and everyone was just standing around for about 10 minutes. The year after that he had Nile and Behemoth open and a lot of the audience literally turned their backs to Behemoth and some even flipped them off. This was weird because it was before Behemoth were famous and before everyone was praising them as like the greatest black metal band ever created.

Offline U-94

• Up From The Grave
  • "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war."
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 07:20:49 am »
I skipped every opener on that 2005 tour. I literally walked into House of Blues onto the floor as the lights went down for King. Greatest timing ever.