Author Topic: King Diamond Announces Jess and the Ancient Ones as Support  (Read 20437 times)

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
Re: King Diamond Announces Jess and the Ancient Ones as Support
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:15 pm »
If anyone noticed, Jess is pretty much in a trance as soon as she walks onstage. The whole set is ritualistic. This isn't a "Hey Dever, Let"s party" kind of band. For some it works, some it doesn't. I think if you read the lyrics to the songs, the whole trance like ritual of the set might make a bit more sense. Like all bands, some like it some don"t.

Haha! Yes I did notice her being in a.....uh, "Trance" from watching their live videos. Apparently the person who did this article noticed it to: http://montrealrampage.com/metal-horror-master-king-diamond-back-from-the-grave/

She reminds me so much of my last girlfriend, especially when she has her hair dark and Grace Slick-y looking.
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 01:43:05 pm »
I don't need to be thanked or talked to by a band. I am there for the music and that speaks enough to me. Loved their set in Worcester.

I don't need to be thanked either, but a simple 'hello' and introduction is customary if not polite. Judging from the videos of them on Youtube, I still think they put on a good show.  \m/

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2014, 07:17:09 pm »
I don't need to be thanked or talked to by a band. I am there for the music and that speaks enough to me. Loved their set in Worcester.

involving & engaging the crowd in a major part of showmanship. it's not always easy to do well, and it can indeed be overdone, but it's still good to work some of it into your act where you can. comics and magicians do it all the time, usually by getting a 'volunteer' from the audience. it's especially good for up & coming acts to engage their audience. if Jess & the ancient ones have a different thing going, then that's cool, but they're sacrificing opportunity in doing so.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »
involving & engaging the crowd in a major part of showmanship. it's not always easy to do well, and it can indeed be overdone, but it's still good to work some of it into your act where you can. comics and magicians do it all the time, usually by getting a 'volunteer' from the audience. it's especially good for up & coming acts to engage their audience. if Jess & the ancient ones have a different thing going, then that's cool, but they're sacrificing opportunity in doing so.
Exactly!

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 07:33:45 am »

I agree, but it's not something that is personally important to me. When it comes to music, I don't care about looks, personality, charm, etc... just the music. It all depends on the band... Devin Townsend and Les Claypool for example are always entertaining with their between song banter.
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline ZachAttack

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 07:53:18 am »
looks, personality, stage presence, etc. is AS important as the music. I have no interest in seeing a bunch of guys in jeans and t-shirts stand around staring at the ground on stage, otherwise I would stay home and listen to the record. 

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 08:04:31 am »
looks, personality, stage presence, etc. is AS important as the music. I have no interest in seeing a bunch of guys in jeans and t-shirts stand around staring at the ground on stage, otherwise I would stay home and listen to the record.
Well, that's your opinion, NOT the truth. To be honest, I agree with you, as for me looks, personality and stage presence are important when I go to see a band playing live. However, my wife always thinks that the music itself is all that matters for her. So, if she likes the music, she doesn't need that much live charisma, showmanship or personality as she's there only because the music. She likes, for example, the visual side of King Diamond as she is into horror in general, but she might think that some shows are even better even they lack the visual side. I'm the guy who wants not only music, but great visual show, personality, looks, charisma and all that, but I do understand and respect the people who are different and are only there for the great music. Some people are more auditory and not that visual if you know what I mean. I'm both I guess. :fauxcul:

What comes to Jess and the Ancient Ones, in my opinion they are giving me not only music but looks, personality, stage presence, charisma and all that. It's a matter of taste I guess but for me their trance kind of live thing is working great. The thing that they aren't speaking anything doesn't bother me at all but I know that if some other bands would do the same it might bother. It depends on what kind of band are playing. Jess and the Ancient Ones are doing their thing their own way and I appreciate that.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:29:09 am by Hammer »

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 08:31:58 am »
Well said, Hammer. I agree completely.
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2014, 10:27:10 am »
looks, personality, stage presence, etc. is AS important as the music.

If that was the case Tool would have no fans. Its always about the music.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:28:32 pm by Maiden Jersey »

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2014, 10:38:28 am »
Have to say they weren't as bad as some have made them out to be. No they didn't say a word to the crowd, but they did bow in between songs, in a respectful way to acknowledge the crowd and say thank you without actually saying the words. I didn't care much for the music though, but they did have about 3 songs I liked. All in all they were pretty good, but I felt bad for them because there were more people in the lobby than there were in the auditorium last night. The singer has  a really good voice and they played a tight set, wouldn't mind checking them out more one day.

Offline Douchebag St John

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Invoking the Master 2 procreate the Unholy Bastard
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2014, 11:55:13 am »
Have to say they weren't as bad as some have made them out to be. No they didn't say a word to the crowd, but they did bow in between songs, in a respectful way to acknowledge the crowd and say thank you without actually saying the words. I didn't care much for the music though, but they did have about 3 songs I liked. All in all they were pretty good, but I felt bad for them because there were more people in the lobby than there were in the auditorium last night. The singer has  a really good voice and they played a tight set, wouldn't mind checking them out more one day.

I found them to be a band that I would rather see in a very small venue. Also don't believe they were the best " fit " for this tour, but not bad by any means.
Ahh... I have longed to be at one with this
Yet, the waters call my name

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2014, 01:43:17 pm »
They were awesome in Vegas! I loved their music!  \m/ And I really can't understand how anyone could doubt their metalness. All the metal legends have some bluesy and groovy songs in their catalog. Even the mighty Mercyful Fate! Listen to "Sulfur Giants", that is their "Satan's Fall"! So damn epic and intense! They are excellent musicians. Was a real treat watching Jess sing, dance and be in a trance. I am uh...spellbound by her! Haha! I like all of their songs. There was a low rumble at the start of their show and for a brief moment I was almost expecting Rob Halford to ride onstage on a Harley. Haha! Then I remembered it was the intro. Wish the played "Long And Lonesome Road".

And to clarify, even though they regrettably do not do stage banter, they ARE very polite people. As was pointed out, they bowed to the audience. And if you look on their Facebook, they are very appreciative of the fans and they even even have King Diamond as their banner.  :worship:

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:25 am »
Well, that's your opinion, NOT the truth. To be honest, I agree with you, as for me looks, personality and stage presence are important when I go to see a band playing live. However, my wife always thinks that the music itself is all that matters for her. So, if she likes the music, she doesn't need that much live charisma, showmanship or personality as she's there only because the music. She likes, for example, the visual side of King Diamond as she is into horror in general, but she might think that some shows are even better even they lack the visual side. I'm the guy who wants not only music, but great visual show, personality, looks, charisma and all that, but I do understand and respect the people who are different and are only there for the great music. Some people are more auditory and not that visual if you know what I mean. I'm both I guess. :fauxcul:
I totally agree with the fact that looks, stage presence, etc. are very important in a live show, especially in Rock/Metal music! I always liked the sentence "Rock'n'Roll is a big circus", 'cause in something that should be called "a show", the theatrical and visual aspect to me is as important as the music itself!
Of course you must can play, if not you can stay at home (or I'd think you're kidding me)! But I'm not interested in some anonymous guys playing without emphasis either!
What comes to Jess and the Ancient Ones, in my opinion they are giving me not only music but looks, personality, stage presence, charisma and all that. It's a matter of taste I guess but for me their trance kind of live thing is working great. The thing that they aren't speaking anything doesn't bother me at all but I know that if some other bands would do the same it might bother. It depends on what kind of band are playing. Jess and the Ancient Ones are doing their thing their own way and I appreciate that.
I understand this point too! Steve Sylvester from Detth SS never said a word to the audience in 37 years of career! He doesn't greet, doesn't thanks and doesn't announces the songs!
But I think it's part of his character! He acts like a wizard, a black master of ceremonies, like I assume Jess does!
But at least Steve arouses the crowd inciting with his arms and many horns rising! \m/

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2014, 11:57:07 am »
Jess and The Ancient ones do that too. And before Jess left the stage she gave the crowd in Vegas the horns salute!  \m/

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2014, 01:20:40 am »
Smart words, Count Jonah and Blackest. :)

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2014, 10:22:11 am »
JATAO also work their own merch table, interacting with the fans. They were very cool to me, taking time to sign the vinyl I bought. I have seen many opening bands not step anywhere near their merch table. To me, and again, just my opinion, they worked out well as the opener for this tour.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2014, 12:27:25 am »
Oh damn, I can't believe I missed their booth! Was it next to King Diamond's? What members were there selling the merchandise? What did they say/talk about?

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2014, 06:37:28 pm »
The entire band were there, minus Jess, who like King Diamond, Im sure need to get rest and not talk alot after shows, taking care of those voices is a priority Im sure. They were cool, talked about being in US for first time, music, just all around cool people. Yes, the merch table was right next to King Diamond's.

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 12:00:06 am »
The entire band were there, minus Jess, who like King Diamond, Im sure need to get rest and not talk alot after shows, taking care of those voices is a priority Im sure. They were cool, talked about being in US for first time, music, just all around cool people. Yes, the merch table was right next to King Diamond's.

Jess and her husband Jari (the drummer) has an 8 month old baby they brought with them on the tour. Such a super cute little one! Jess, along with taking care of her voice, was also attending her baby, hence the no time :)

EDIT: I might be mistaken by the husband's name... If I am, I'm sorry! There are a lot of people in JATAO and I'm usually terrible with names.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:32:16 pm by Livia Zita »
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline krisjay

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2014, 11:05:29 am »
Wow, a little one, cool stuff. Strange, my guess was that the keyboard player was hooked up with Jess, as he seemed never to take his eyes off her. Shows how much I can gauge human relationships. I hope the exposure this tour gave JATAO works out for them, they really were a great band, and greater people.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2014, 10:05:03 pm »
Ha! That does not mean anything! I had my eyes on Jess the entire time too!  :P
The keyboardist was very cool, with his hood pulled over his head he looked like some kind of evil monk lurking over the 'ivory'. Too bad King Diamond didn't use him and his equipment for their keyboard parts. Interesting how they placed him in the center of the stage and the drummer off to the side. I thought the drummer's name was "Yussuf"? Or is that a stage name or a previous drummer? Thank you for the little extra tidbit about Jess and the Ancient Ones, Livia. I would have never guessed that Jess is a mother already. Congrats to her and Jari!

Ah, I'm going to have to kick myself for missing out on the booth. I was in a hurry and when I saw that the KD booth was out of posters, I didn't hang around there too long long. From what I understand the two lead guitarist are the creative core of the band, would have been awesome to meet them. Everyone should try giving their songs a few repeated listens.  \m/

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2014, 10:08:40 pm »
Ah yes sorry for the confusion. Yussuf is his stage name :)

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2015, 07:27:04 pm »
No problem. I'm guessing "Jess" is a stage name too.  :D

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2015, 11:11:40 pm »
No problem. I'm guessing "Jess" is a stage name too.  :D

Jasmin :)

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2015, 06:09:55 am »
My wife and I was at the Dallas show. We both were blown away by Jess and the Ancient Ones. It was like Heart, classic Alice Cooper and Deep Purple with Occult lyrics....loved it. Very hypnotic. Bought their cd at the show. Of Course the main meal of the night, The legend of The night KING DIAMOND was the highlight of my night.  :king:
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.