Author Topic: Recent Vinyl Reissues  (Read 6243 times)

Offline Sonikku

• Unborn
Recent Vinyl Reissues
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »
Hi fans, I just found this forum searching on some recent album purchases I pre-ordered and received. I am googling on some other re-issues of KD and saw that there's multiple so-called audiophile versions of Them and now I'm fucking confused. I know, albums are being re-released on vinyl at a hectic rate due to popularity, and not everything is really quality. Part of my reason for re-buying this shit is that I lost a fuckton of albums in a basement flood at a friend's place a decade ago. Now that I have money and a quality stereo setup, time to indulge. King Diamond and Mercyful Fate albums are top priority and I'm glad to see some recent re-issues. But nothing is ever easy!

I had pre-ordered and just receieved (today) Fatal Portrait and The Eye from here:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/king-diamond-fatal-portrait-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/king-diamond-the-eye-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

They sound really, really good. See bottom of message for my stupid setup.  I'm very happy! And I want more! But what's up with Them... There are two new releases?

This is from Metal Blade on 1 album:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/king-diamond-abigail-vinyl-records.shtml

This is from Cargo Germany on 2 albums:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/king-diamond-abigail-vinyl-lp.shtml

My first assumption is the 2 album version is better quality (though a pain in the ass to listen to since you're flipping discs all the time but I'm allowed to gripe). So anyone have any insight to the two albums?

They have Mercyful Fate re-issues on quality pressings as well, are these good to grab? I hope so!

hanks for any help on this, I have read through the previous post on Metal Blade issues, just want to know about these German Cargo issues. I recently got an advanced order of Iron Maiden's 180g re-issues (not the shitty picture discs that are unplayable) and they are excellent. I'm thoroughly loving these issues of Portrait and Eye, just want to be sure the other album re-issues are also good!

Thank you for replying and any help, I appreciate it very much!

My setup: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Hafler DH220 Amp & D110 PreAmp, MA 6400, TR Dude, Martin Delta 4050's, DIY Bungholio BA's
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:15:11 PM by Bub »

Offline jomontferrand

• Just A Shadow
Re: I'm confused on recent Vinyl Reissues
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »
I still have yet to receive any of these new re-releases. Actually, I did get Melissa... it sounds awesome but I can`t compare with the 2007 version or the original one. Based on my experience with ''Them'' from 2007, I gather I'm not missing much.

If you look for the other thread in here some members commented on the reissues:

http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com/CWWforum/index.php?topic=6791.0

Edit: Well I guess you already read through that thread! Sorry!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:08:35 PM by jomontferrand »

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:34:59 PM »
Hi fans, I just found this forum searching on some recent album purchases I pre-ordered and received. I am googling on some other re-issues of KD and saw that there's multiple so-called audiophile versions of Them and now I'm fucking confused. I know, albums are being re-released on vinyl at a hectic rate due to popularity, and not everything is really quality. Part of my reason for re-buying this shit is that I lost a fuckton of albums in a basement flood at a friend's place a decade ago. Now that I have money and a quality stereo setup, time to indulge. King Diamond and Mercyful Fate albums are top priority and I'm glad to see some recent re-issues. But nothing is ever easy!

I had pre-ordered and just receieved (today) Fatal Portrait and The Eye from here:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/king-diamond-fatal-portrait-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/king-diamond-the-eye-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

They sound really, really good. See bottom of message for my stupid setup.  I'm very happy! And I want more! But what's up with Them... There are two new releases?

This is from Metal Blade on 1 album:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/king-diamond-abigail-vinyl-records.shtml

This is from Cargo Germany on 2 albums:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/king-diamond-abigail-vinyl-lp.shtml

My first assumption is the 2 album version is better quality (though a pain in the ass to listen to since you're flipping discs all the time but I'm allowed to gripe). So anyone have any insight to the two albums?

They have Mercyful Fate re-issues on quality pressings as well, are these good to grab? I hope so!

hanks for any help on this, I have read through the previous post on Metal Blade issues, just want to know about these German Cargo issues. I recently got an advanced order of Iron Maiden's 180g re-issues (not the shitty picture discs that are unplayable) and they are excellent. I'm thoroughly loving these issues of Portrait and Eye, just want to be sure the other album re-issues are also good!

Thank you for replying and any help, I appreciate it very much!

My setup: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Hafler DH220 Amp & D110 PreAmp, MA 6400, TR Dude, Martin Delta 4050's, DIY Bungholio BA's

Them sounds mediocre, but I have never been a fan of the sound on them.  All of the other reissues sound great!!!

Offline Sonikku

• Unborn
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:16 PM »
Cool. I'm thoroughly enjoying the sound quality on these two releases. Out of the jacket, they're are outstandingly clean and without any crap on the vinyl. Far from other albums I've bought that were loaded with pops and shit.

I'll grab the rest of the new re-releases, and grab the 2-LP Them album from German. If it sucks, some idiot on discogs will probably buy it. :)

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
Stay away from the Cargo reissues. They all sound like crap. If anything get the new Metal Blade reissue of Them.

Offline thevision57

• Spirit
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »
Yeah don't waste your money on those.  The single lp reissues from metal blade are far superior.

Offline Sonikku

• Unborn
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
You guys are correct, I was wrong in my last reply. I am sticking with the Metal Blade issues. In fact, these pressings on the first play were incredibly clean and quiet; free of regular vinyl pops and shit.

I bought the rest of KD and MF on soundstage so eagerly awaiting those, but jesus h christ that company is ridiculously lazy getting your order out...  :devil-smiley-011:

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
You guys are correct, I was wrong in my last reply. I am sticking with the Metal Blade issues. In fact, these pressings on the first play were incredibly clean and quiet; free of regular vinyl pops and shit.

I bought the rest of KD and MF on soundstage so eagerly awaiting those, but jesus h christ that company is ridiculously lazy getting your order out...  :devil-smiley-011:

I've used Soundstage Direct in the past.  They pack the vinyl really well to ship it safely but yeah the shipping can take a while.  I had a defect on one order and they told me to send it back, so I did, and it sat there in their office for 2 weeks before anyone noticed it.  It took a phone call to get it moving and to get them to send the replacement.

I also just placed an order last week for two Kate Bush vinyl reissues.  Both items' availability said '2-4 days to ship' but now it's been over a week.  I've called them today and yesterday and they said the shipment from the distro center should have arrived on Monday but is arriving today, and they upgraded my shipping for free.  The lady on the phone told me that they don't keep any items in house and that all vinyl is ordered from the distributor upon sale, so that might explain the delays.

Long story short is that they're not the worst place I've ever ordered vinyl from, especially considering how well they pack their shipments, but they can be slow and need a kick in the ass to get orders out. 

Offline Sonikku

• Unborn
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 05:14:53 PM »
Agreed. I slam them via twitter, 3 emails and the chat thing when stuff isn't moving fast enough. I have an order currently that isn't even showing on my ordered history page from them. They really are satan awful slow. Need a replacement!

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »
  I too love soundstagedirect as well but yes VERY slow at times , but the packing & customer service is A+++

I would guess that 2-lp them that lp#2 has the bonus tracks that were added to the re-issue cd  ? that said i have heard nothing good about Cargo either ...... my copies of Fatal portrait & the eye are on the way so hopefully by the weekend  :king:

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
Yeah the two Metal Blade reissues I have (Deadly Lullabyes Live and The Eye) are FANTASTIC in regards to package/pressing quality.  If I didn't have NM original copies of all the old MF and KD stuff I'd pick those up too.

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
  • Doomed by the living dead!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
Just in case you have been living under a rock, Metal Blade has reissued Time and In The Shadows on vinyl!  \m/

In The Shadows
In Europe there is regular black, Old Oak colored vinyl which is limited to 200 copies and purple/ blue marbled vinyl, limited to 300 copies
In the US Transparent Blue vinyl

Time, 
Regular black vinyl and Bone colored Marbled Vinyl which is limited to 300 copies and Bronze Marbled. Limited to 200 copies.
In the US: White Vinyl

Included are nice qulity inserts and a cool poster!

Just received Bone colored marbled vinyl and the Old Oak colored vinyl. They are awesome!  :king:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:10:26 PM by Bub »
nah

Offline Jean le Noir

• Lady In Black
  • Heavy Metal (Is The Law)
Re: Recent Vinyl Reissues
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »
You mean In the Shadows, Bub?  :fauxcul:
There's a little old man...standing by my window

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
You mean In the Shadows, Bub?  :fauxcul:

You are correct. I allways mix these two tittles up. :P
nah

Offline hailtoking

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
"Out of the jacket, they're are outstandingly clean and without any crap on the vinyl. Far from other albums I've bought that were loaded with pops and shit".

Well..let me tell you one thing..!! ALWAYS clean your records..before you play them!! Even it´s new and shrink on it,there`s lot of shit on newly pressed vinyls(been there,done that..) put them in antistatic  inner sleeve,that paper inner sleeve ruin your records in time!!!! And yes forget Cargo releases..Get Metal Blade..if you don´t find the originals! I ordered Mercyful Fate-In The Shadows(oak marbled) and i have the all the originals from King and Mercyful Fate..when record arrives, i can do comparison and tell you..if you interested?? How is the quality!! Enjoy the music that King delivers!!! \m/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:30:28 PM by hailtoking »

Offline Jean le Noir

• Lady In Black

Offline LucasRomao

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »
Awesome!! \o/
Did you heard, something about Dead Again?

Offline Jean le Noir

• Lady In Black
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 11:32:25 PM »
I checked now and yes, amazon indeed has Dead Again for pre order  \m/

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Again-Opaque-Double-Vinyl/dp/B01LD6575W/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1473053481&sr=1-10&keywords=mercyful+fate&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin%3A387647011

I will skip Dead Again because I have original DLP. Into the Unknown was my grail  :) Now I will have all MF albums on vinyl, finally!

Offline LucasRomao

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 05:10:30 AM »
 \m/
I also have the 1st press, but I will get the complete set! :cool:

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
Into the Unkown will be released in the US on gold vinyl.

https://www.amazon.com/Into-Gold-vinyl-Mercyful-Fate/dp/B01LD6572K/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_4  :cool:
nah

Offline Jean le Noir

• Lady In Black
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 11:46:17 AM »
That is very cool color, but I will wait european editions and then we will see. Bought white vinyl (american pressing) for ''Time'' but now I want to see other colors.

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Lurker From The Dark
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 11:08:27 PM »
this is awesome though i must say not really interested in the color as much as the final cuts on the vinyl if it sounds good i will be happy.

\m/ Stay Heavy
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Jean le Noir

• Lady In Black
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 11:19:13 PM »
Don't worry, it's Metal Blade press  :)

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 11:35:53 AM »
On the 7th of October more releases on vinyl.
Dead Again, 9 and Into The Unknown.

Besides the regular black vinyl.

9, will have melting point yellow (200 copies) and burnt orange brown (300 copies)
Dead Again,  brown black marbled (200 copies) and blue black marbled (300 copies)
Into the unknown, dawn red sky (300 copies)  orange red marbled (200 copies)

nah

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 11:40:54 AM »
Preordered

9, melting point yellow
Dead Again, blue black marbled
Into the unknown, orange red marbled (200 copies)

\m/
nah