Author Topic: HoB Las Vegas Reviews  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
HoB Las Vegas Reviews
« on: November 02, 2014, 03:47:14 pm »
First I want to say thank you King Diamond for the incredible show! And thank you for bringing along Jess and the Ancient Ones! God I love this band! They put on a killer set, even if they are not heavy on the guitar distortion they are still very heavy and intense!

It's a shame too that Visigoth did not get to do any more shows. Someone promoted one of their songs over the speaker system and I was absolutely impressed by what I heard from this song, "Dungeon Master" I believe. Every time a song from a Uriah Heep or Led Zepplin would end the audience got all excited by the anticipation of seeing KD. Finally the lights went out and "The Candle" came on. This song is perfect for an opener; spooky, atmospheric intro, and a really definitive KD song that lets the audience get sonically pummeled by those chugging riffs and King's growls/sreeches.   :king:

Everyone was in top form: Andy and Mike nailed those guitars to symbolic inverted crosses of awesomeness! Matt was a beast on his drum kit as usual. The hype about Pontus is well deserved! The man belongs with KD-gave the show the most perfect bottom end sound and played really well on "Shapes of Black". I must confess, I could not make out Livia's backup vocals from King's, but the cumulative vocal sound was nothing short of amazing. It is not exaggeration, this is the best vocal performance of any concerts I've been too, and he even sounded better than on the Deadly Lullabies album!

Major PROPS to Jodi who looked beautiful and put on some very good theatrics. Not sure how King yelling at the dying Miriam played into the storyline? First rate show all around! Great effects and stage setting.

I was surprised at how large the crowd was. This had to be the most girls I've ever seen at a KD concert too. At the last minute I made a King Diamond puppet and rocked out with it when "Puppet Master" came on. Had a fantastic time! So where are all the Diamondbangers I saw there?  \m/
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
Re: HoB Las Vegas Reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:07:36 pm »
Still blows me away he is selling out fairly decent sized auditoriums, all without a new album to promote, and a really unknown opening band. Just goes to show this is Kings time to shine, and it's way over due.

The thing that really made an impression on me was the amount of KD and MF shirts and stuff in the crowd before the show. People in line almost all had KD stuff on, and then when the place filled up it was a good 60% at least must have been wearing some sort of KD or MF merch. Most concerts you go to don't have that many fans wearing the bands they are there to see, like they did at Kings show.

Such an amazing time to be a King Diamond fan, can't wait to see what's next.   

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:41:07 pm »
Thanks for the very cool review, that was a good read. I'm very happy you liked Jess and the Ancient Ones. As you have a great taste I guess I should also check out Visigoth. :)

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »
Thanks for the very cool review, that was a good read. I'm very happy you liked Jess and the Ancient Ones. As you have a great taste I guess I should also check out Visigoth. :)

Yes you should! They are like an almost better version of Gravedigger with a slight "Goth" quality to the vocals and lots of blast beats.

Hmm, you did say you were from Finland, no? Well on behalf of Finland I would like to thank you for producing such an amazing band as Jess and The Ancient Ones!  :ernaehrung004:

Offline Douchebag St John

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Invoking the Master 2 procreate the Unholy Bastard
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:34:41 pm »

The thing that really made an impression on me was the amount of KD and MF shirts and stuff in the crowd before the show.

Normally I have a strict don't be " that guy " policy. The Jacket was so bad ass, I had to make an exception.
Ahh... I have longed to be at one with this
Yet, the waters call my name

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:16:17 pm »
Satan's KINGdom, you are correct; there were so many people decked out in KD/MF gear at the Las Vegas show! Many hails to the couple with the guy in the plaid short sleeve shirt who wore near perfect DBTO era King makeup and his corpse-painted girlfriend who wore a nuns outfit!  :king:
I wore the KD shirt with King holding the lantern that Mike Wead gave me on the last USA tour back in 2005! I spoke with a short-haired guy wearing an Abigail tshirt, who came with his GF (dyed hair, buzzed on the sides). He agreed that the enthusiasm for Mercyful Fate was just as strong as it was for KD and that an MF album/tour was overdue. Sorry I didn't catch your name friend, but it was great meeting you!

There was ALOT of people there and it was a good mix of old and young. I even saw a few grandma types there...but they did not offer any magical tea. There were probably much more younger fans there! This should be very promising for KD! Where the hell are these people? You would think at least a handful of Vegas fans would be posting on here after you saw how wild they went for KD.

Every song from beginning to end was BOMBASTIC. I'm going to have to be honest, I never liked "Never Ending Hill" too much, but this live version shredded the studio version to pieces! It absolutely killed and gave me a new found respect for the song. "Welcome Home" and "Tea" also blew away their studio counterparts. Always love hearing "The Eye" live and how King encourages audience participation on the chorus. Now I see what that glass trick with Matt was as King took a drink and threw the glass right onto Matt's cymbal where it shattered. Seems too risky for it to be real glass, was it ice? Or are Matt and King simply just that much pro/hardcore?  :icon_twisted:

"Up From The Grave" was a new live experience for me, I'm still sad that "Dreams" didn't make it over to the USA tour but glad that at least a Graveyard song did. "Sleepless Nights", that song is always intense! And Yes! Las Vegas got "Halloween". Interestingly, King was telling everyone "Happy Halloween" even though it was November 1st heading into the second. Either King must know that Halloween never really ends with most KD fans or that Day of the Dead is an important Holiday out here in the southwest and California.  :D

I enjoyed the band introduction part. I think the last USA tour Livia was introduced as from Hungary, now it's Dallas Texas! I liked her new outfit, just wish she was more visible and that they played a song that featured more of her vocals like "Darkness". But I still enjoyed hearing "Puppetmaster" instead. Even though it was tracked, it was fun hearing "Let It Be Done" over the speakers and then seeing Grandma getting grilled to "Cremation" in the coffin.

Just like "The Candle", "The Family Ghost" is a stellar song to represent KD. Plus it's short so it fits into any setlist, yet has all the bells and whistles of KD's unique sound. "At The Graves" was the audio and visual equivalent of a roller coaster, lots of good crunchy guitar parts and places for the rhythm section to shine and on top of that the first rate vocals! Good job to who ever was in charge of the lightning as well as making the pentagram go up and down.  :icon_twisted:

"Evil" and "Come To The Sabbath", enough good can not be said. The fans reaction should be proof enough for demand of a MF reunion. And then after all that....."Black Horsemen"......BLACK FVCKING HORSEMEN! My god, it could have been the end of the world! That is the feeling that song always conveys along with a sinister haunting beauty. Those guitar harmonies and double bass drums and the vocals.....always an intense delivery that puts the most fantastic finishing touches to a live set. Afterwards Matt gave King a hug onstage. Not sure if he had just gotten a raise or was congratulating King on such a remarkable performance, but it was very refreshing to see such a sincere display of camaraderie between these two band-mates. Mike, Matt, Andy, Pontus all came up front and greeted the crowd along with King. King stayed last and kept gesturing towards his battle tested heart in symbolic appreciation. Long live the King!  :king:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:06:29 pm by Count Jonah »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:29:07 pm »

Had to make this guy at the last minute out of cardboard, sharpie ink, fishing line and some left over paper mache, so not my best quality work, but aside from Jodi's character, I didn't see any other puppets at the show.  :king:

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 02:45:13 pm »
corpse-painted girlfriend who wore a nuns outfit!

Forgot about the Nuns, there must have been at least 3 nuns at the Seattle show. That was so awesome to see. Wish I were more artistic, I would have loved to paint my face up like King, but I know if I tried it, I would look nothing like KD or anything resembling a corpse lol

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 05:26:33 pm »

Now I see what that glass trick with Matt was as King took a drink and threw the glass right onto Matt's cymbal where it shattered. Seems too risky for it to be real glass, was it ice? Or are Matt and King simply just that much pro/hardcore?  :icon_twisted:

" I think the last USA tour Livia was introduced as from Hungary, now it's Dallas Texas! I liked her new outfit, just wish she was more visible and that they played a song that featured more of her vocals like "Darkness". But I still enjoyed hearing "Puppetmaster" instead.

The glasses are made of tough plastic, actually. And they don't shatter, unless Matt hits it with his drumsticks.
So King takes a drink, spits it up, throws the glass back to Matt, who hits and shatters it with his drumstick. :)
No room for error there :)

Yes, last tour I was introduced as from Hungary, but since then I have become a US citizen (yay!), hence the new location :)
I adore my new outfit, so much more comfortable than the velvet dress. I mean who doesn't love corsets and steampunk style? :)
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 05:35:37 pm »
The glasses are made of tough plastic, actually. And they don't shatter, unless Matt hits it with his drumsticks.
So King takes a drink, spits it up, throws the glass back to Matt, who hits and shatters it with his drumstick. :)

Yes, last tour I was introduced as from Hungary, but since then I have become a US citizen (yay!), hence the new location :)
I adore my new outfit, so much more comfortable than the velvet dress. I mean who doesn't love corsets and steampunk style? :)
That was a cool thing they did, I forgot all about it until I caught them doing it.

I am kind of wondering, why don't they give you a spot to stand on stage while you're singing? I was about 12 rows center from the stage and couldn't see you at all until the intros when you kind of hopped out, waved, then hopped back behind the amps.

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 08:56:36 pm »

Had to make this guy at the last minute out of cardboard, sharpie ink, fishing line and some left over paper mache, so not my best quality work, but aside from Jodi's character, I didn't see any other puppets at the show.  :king:

That's awesome !!!  :icon_twisted:

Offline Douchebag St John

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Invoking the Master 2 procreate the Unholy Bastard
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 08:35:07 am »

Congratulations... though being able to say you're from the land of Bela Lugosi is pretty awesome too.
Ahh... I have longed to be at one with this
Yet, the waters call my name

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 12:52:40 am »
Yes you should! They are like an almost better version of Gravedigger with a slight "Goth" quality to the vocals and lots of blast beats.

Hmm, you did say you were from Finland, no? Well on behalf of Finland I would like to thank you for producing such an amazing band as Jess and The Ancient Ones!  :ernaehrung004:
Well, I' a huge fan of Grave Digger so I'll definitely have to check that one out. I even like some gothic sound, especially when the vocalists are doing that kind of vocals.

I'm from Finland, yes, from the place called Jyväskylä. We are famous of the former ski-jump legend Matti Nykänen, the author Sofi Oksanen and we are also good at ice-hockey (JYP is one of the best hockey teams here) and we are the host city of Neste Rally Finland. So I'm from Central Finland and I'm living quite near the town Kuopio that is the home of Jess and the Ancient Ones. My best friend is living in Kuopio with his fiancée and kids, so I'm visiting that place quite often. Thanks for your compliment. We have a lot of good metal and hard rock in Finland. Here's a list that contains some of my favorite bands from Finland. I haven't updated that list lately so it might miss some very good ones.

Cheers and metallic hails from the snowy Finland. I loved The Puppet Master figure and your review of the King Diamond concert. :party82:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:55:05 am by Hammer »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 10:35:26 pm »
Thanks David and Hammer. I made two dolls/figurines of King some years back that are much better, I gave the larger Time era King version to a friend and the smaller, House Of God version was supposedly given to King himself, but I don't believe I ever got confirmation on that. Hopefully I'll come across those pictures.  :king:

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 10:42:24 pm »

Ah, I figured it was too close to Matt's eyes and too dangerous to be real glass. I actually thought I saw Matt hit the glass in a split second, but I wasn't sure if my eyes got it right. Bravo to Matt and King.

I wasn't sure what to call the new outfit, "mummified undead empress" came to mind for some reason, but steampunk sounds much more correct. It is a very sharp new look for you!

Congrats on the citizenship and even though you've been living here at various times already, welcome to the USA anyways!  :ernaehrung004:

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
Thanks David and Hammer. I made two dolls/figurines of King some years back that are much better, I gave the larger Time era King version to a friend and the smaller, House Of God version was supposedly given to King himself, but I don't believe I ever got confirmation on that. Hopefully I'll come across those pictures.  :king:
Sounds awesome! I would like to see pictures of them. :)

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 09:57:17 pm »
Sounds awesome! I would like to see pictures of them. :)

Me too !!!  :)

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 03:16:38 am »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:55:00 am by Count Jonah »

Offline Davidk

• Mandrake