Author Topic: Music on PA before the concert?  (Read 10274 times)

Offline motorcitymadman

• Unborn
Music on PA before the concert?
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:56:19 pm »
I saw the show in NYC and was blown away, one of, if not the best concert I've been to. Was wondering if there was a playlist for the music they played on the PA before Jess & the Ancient Ones, and then before King. Had to save battery life for a few pictures so I only shazam-ed one song, but there were some cool songs I'd never heard before and love to find new music. Thanks.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
Re: Music on PA before the concert?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:39:36 pm »
If my memory was better I could give you a lot of the songs they played. I know there was about 3 or 4 Uriah Heep songs, some blue oyster cult I think, a few deep purple songs and I cant remember the other bands. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the Uriah Heep songs, I love that band. Pretty sure. They are one of kings favorites also, guess maybe I shouldn't have been surprised to hear them.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »
Yes, a lot of Uriah Heep! Or as I like to call them; Uriah Hemp...haha. When "The Wizard" came on, I swear it was friggin' beautiful! They played Kansas! "Carry On My Wayward Son". A lot from Led Zepplin 2 which I think is one of King's favorite albums. "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", I believe I heard people singing along to that one! You also may have heard them play Visigoth, excellent new band.  \m/
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline motorcitymadman

• Unborn
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:54:53 pm »
Cool, Uriah Heep is a start. I knew I'd heard that Wizard song before. The one song I shazamed was by Candlemass.  Will check out Visigoth, as well. Definitely recognized the Deep Purple, Zep, Sabbath, it was metal stuff that I hadn't heard before. I should also note I got there more than an hour early, too.

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 06:12:33 pm »
I don't know if it's the same in every city. The only thing I remember was a Captain Beyond song in there, sometime before King.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline wildchildelsner

• Voodoo Priest
  • The dreams... They always do come true
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »
They played a lot of Zep and Sabbath, as well as this one song called "Dungeon Master" by Visigoth. They also played some Hammerfall as well. Pontus Norgren, Hammerfall's lead guitarist, is the sound guy for the tour after all :)
"We are Grim Salvation, we play heavy metal and melt faces, now quit gawking and go mental!"

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 12:01:16 am »
Now that the tour is nearly over, I gotta ask...

Did anyone ever notice that we played Uriah Heep's The Wizard every single time right before we started our show? It was the signal. I wonder if anyone realized this :)

In addition to this song, my favorites to listen to backstage waiting to go on were Uriah Heep's Look At Yourself and Kansas's Child of Innocence.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:02:47 am by Livia Zita »
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline Douchebag St John

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Invoking the Master 2 procreate the Unholy Bastard
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 08:29:50 am »
I was enjoying the classic feel from the PA before King came on. Reminded me of how Type O always had old AC /DC and Priest on before they hit the stage.
Ahh... I have longed to be at one with this
Yet, the waters call my name

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 09:09:12 am »

Did anyone ever notice that we played Uriah Heep's The Wizard every single time right before we started our show? It was the signal. I wonder if anyone realized this :)

In addition to this song, my favorites to listen to backstage waiting to go on were Uriah Heep's Look At Yourself and Kansas's Child of Innocence.
I figured it out because they turned it up a little louder than the others. Great choice btw I love that song.  \m/

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:54 am »
I figured it out because they turned it up a little louder than the others. Great choice btw I love that song.  \m/

Outside of The Ripper, I do not believe I have ever heard King cover anything. I would really love to hear him sing Deep Purples " Burn ". Just a thought.....

Congrats on a successful tour to King, Livia and the Band BTW. I am extremely thankful to have been able to witness it.

Offline motorcitymadman

• Unborn
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 02:55:28 pm »

Any chance of getting the full playlist? It would make my month!  \m/ Thanks!

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 03:50:23 pm »
Outside of The Ripper, I do not believe I have ever heard King cover anything. I would really love to hear him sing Deep Purples " Burn ". Just a thought.....
King should cover Bloodsucker! That song always reminded me the old Mercyful Fate! I figure King singing the verses with his sobbing voice (the one he used alot in Don't Break The Oath era) and then screaming OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH NO NO NO!!!!!!!!
 :icon_twisted:

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »
King should cover Bloodsucker! That song always reminded me the old Mercyful Fate! I figure King singing the verses with his sobbing voice (the one he used alot in Don't Break The Oath era) and then screaming OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH NO NO NO!!!!!!!!
 :icon_twisted:

Ok, tonight is gonna be a Purple night.....Going to start with Perfect Strangers when I get home from work.

Offline desecrator_of_soul

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
  • Oh Satan, I beseech thee to have mercy on my soul!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 04:34:06 pm »

I heard the Wizard like 3 times before he came on in LA hahah, but that was of course due to the health complications. Although the wait was so hard because of my herniated discs, it was hilarious to see everyone enjoying the songs the first round, and then by the third or fourth turn everyone in the place was yelling "NOO!!!" but it just all added to the suspense and anticipation, and it was of course the greatest respite when King finally appeared - not to mention it's hilarious in retrospect.

Look at Yourself is probably my favorite Heep album and song, and Child of Innocence is my favorite Kansas song (All of Masque, and throw in Belexes for good measure) I don't remember hearing Child of Innocence before the show though! I was also so pumped when the PA blasted Tattoo Vampire by BOC, I wasn't expecting that one.

The Captain Beyond song if I remember was Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea of Air).

With these bands being brought up, it brings to mind how I have always wanted to talk to King about his 70s interests. When I heard King mention "November" in an interview, and then Michael Denner playing Ethiopia by Jericho, I was so excited because that's a passion of mine (obscure 70s hard rock)(I mean he got to see Budgie during the Bandolier era dammit!). I've also heard King mention he has a lot of rare vinyl, and I can only fathom as a collector myself.

Offline Painkiller

• Up From The Grave
  • Rocking the Night Away
    • Forces of Steel
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »

The Uriah Heep songs were pretty obvious, since King Diamond does consider David Byron a heavy inspiration for his singing style.

Either way, the show in Seattle was lots of fun. If only "Halloween" was played...

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 12:59:26 am »
Wow, amazing to hear that they are playing the likes of Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Kansas. I do like a lot also Candlemass, HammerFall, Blue Öyster Cult and other cool bands mentioned in this thread. I should check out also Captain Beyond and Visigoth 'cause I'm pretty sure I would like them as well. Would be amazing to hear The Wizard, what an excellent song, right before the King Diamond set. Hopefully you'll have a chance to play same kind of songs before the shows during the next European tour. I would love that.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 12:50:06 am »
I was only able to attend one concert, but I did notice "the Wizard" was turned up higher too. "The Magician's Birthday" would have been a great signal song as well because at the end of that song I swear their singer sounds EXACTLY like King...well almost.

But anyways, as for those songs played of the PA I did get the impression these were the King's picks...the royal playlist if you will. Metal Maniacs magazine did a special 20 something years ago (damn I'm old) were they asked various metal musicians to list their top ten favorite metal albums, and King's selection went something like:

1.Deep Purple-In Rock (Child In Time!)
2.Uriah Heep-Look At Yourself (I would have thought King would like Salisbury better, especially because of The Lady In Black...)
3. Rainbow-Rising (Stargazer! Imagine if King covered that!!!!)
4. Judas Priest-Sad Wings of Destiny
5. Lucifer's Friend (Self titled album I'm guessing)
6. Captain Beyond (Perhaps same as above)
7. Led Zeppelin 2
8. Black Sabbath-S/T
9. Demon-Don't Break the Circle (I may be remembering this incorrectly, but if not, how telling a title...
10. Alice Copper-Killer

If I got one or two wrong, it was probably either an old Iron Maiden album or Blue Oyster Cult. I'm certain that he had no Kansas on that list...but he may have had Black Widow. Keep in mind this was 1994 and King's preferences for albums could be a bit different now. I get the feeling that with this tour King wanted to highlight his roots to the fans, perhaps in preparation for style and sound of the new album?  :king:

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 11:20:38 am »
I was digging around for some older emails and happened across one about the playlist.

here is the full set :)

DOORS OPEN

Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker     4:10
Uriah Heep - Easy Livin'     2:35
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath      5:40
Kansas - Carry On My Wayward Son     5:20
Uriah Heep - Gypsy     6:40
Captain Beyond - Dancing Madly Backwards     4:00
Hammerfall -
Visigoth - Dungeon Master     6:45
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song     2:25
Wishbone Ash - Lady Whiskey      6:10

JESS AND THE ANCIENT ONES

Uriah Heep - Rainbow Demon     4:25
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love     5:25
Deep Purple - Bloodsucker     4:00
Black Sabbath - Fairies Wear Boots     6:10
Kansas - Child Of Innocence     4:30
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself     5:10
Captain Beyond - Mesmerization Eclipse      3:45
Deep Purple - Fireball     3:20
Wishbone Ash - Queen Of Torture     3:20
Blue Öyster Cult - Tattoo Vampire     2:40
Uriah Heep - The Wizard     3:00

KING DIAMOND

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 12:02:58 pm »
I was digging around for some older emails and happened across one about the playlist.

here is the full set :)

DOORS OPEN

Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker     4:10
Uriah Heep - Easy Livin'     2:35
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath      5:40
Kansas - Carry On My Wayward Son     5:20
Uriah Heep - Gypsy     6:40
Captain Beyond - Dancing Madly Backwards     4:00
Hammerfall -
Visigoth - Dungeon Master     6:45
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song     2:25
Wishbone Ash - Lady Whiskey      6:10

JESS AND THE ANCIENT ONES

Uriah Heep - Rainbow Demon     4:25
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love     5:25
Deep Purple - Bloodsucker     4:00
Black Sabbath - Fairies Wear Boots     6:10
Kansas - Child Of Innocence     4:30
Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself     5:10
Captain Beyond - Mesmerization Eclipse      3:45
Deep Purple - Fireball     3:20
Wishbone Ash - Queen Of Torture     3:20
Blue Öyster Cult - Tattoo Vampire     2:40
Uriah Heep - The Wizard     3:00

KING DIAMOND

Don't mind me...just making a spotify playlist over here.

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 01:01:49 pm »
^_^

I don't know what the Hammerfall song was, we left it up to Pontus to pick one :)

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:01 pm »
^_^

I don't know what the Hammerfall song was, we left it up to Pontus to pick one :)

It wasn't their cover of Twisted Sister's " Burn in Hell " was it? I swear I thought I heard that in Atlanta but it might have just been me singing it to myself. It was a pretty exciting night after all.

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 01:24:03 pm »
I hadn't heard Captain Beyond's 'Dancing Madly Backwards' in years. decades, in fact. I had forgotten what a good song it is.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline wildchildelsner

• Voodoo Priest
  • The dreams... They always do come true
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 02:39:17 pm »
^_^

The one played in Los Angeles was Ex Infernus. He may have switched it up for each show, unless that playlist was absolutely solid throughout the eniter tour :).
"We are Grim Salvation, we play heavy metal and melt faces, now quit gawking and go mental!"

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 09:52:09 pm »
The one played in Los Angeles was Ex Infernus. He may have switched it up for each show, unless that playlist was absolutely solid throughout the eniter tour :).
same song in Seattle also I believe.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:33 pm »
I see that Visigoth have now put up their "Dungeon Master" song up on Youtube, I strongly suggest everyone check it out as it is way better than their earlier songs. Of course nothing can compare to hearing this blasted over the PA before the KD show.  \m/