Author Topic: Mayhem Festival Tour 2015 - King Diamond  (Read 47792 times)

Offline Nibiru

• Catacomb Crawler
Re: Mayhem Festival Tour 2015 - King Diamond
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2015, 09:10:29 am »
1. The Candle
2. Sleepless Nights
3. Eye of the Witch
4. Welcome Home
5. Tea / Digging Graves / A Visit from the Dead
6. Evil (Mercyful Fate cover)
7. Come to the Sabbath (Mercyful Fate cover)
8. The Family Ghost
9.The 7th Day of July 1777
10. Black Horsemen
11. Insanity (outro)

Offline CyniclBastrd

• Spirit
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2015, 12:55:10 pm »
No Abigail. And they didn't play Tea or Digging Graves in it's entirety. It was a medley with those two songs plus part of A Visit from the Dead. Same as the last tour. Fucking kick ass though! One of my favorite parts of the set!

Then I was just completely drawn in. They could have played anything in my mind. They were just that good. The band was so tight. King's voice is in that good of shape. I had absolutely no idea he could still sing that well. I just didn't believe every interview I heard with him saying his voice is in the best shape of his career. So glad I went to that show. If they were closing and had more time.

Offline wildchildelsner

• Voodoo Priest
  • The dreams... They always do come true
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2015, 01:17:22 pm »
Yeah, the place kinda emptied out after King played. The setlist was pretty much the same as the last tour, minus the songs from Puppet Master and Give Me Your Soul. And no At the Graves, Cremation, or Halloween this time either. But they did add The 7th day of July. Which more than made up for it in my opinion! Fucking epic! And I thought they played the same medley as last time too. Tea/Digging Graves/Visit From The Dead. Which was also fucking killer.
Ok, my mistake then. I was just too absorbed by the band playing to realize that they did the medley like on the last tour. I missed not hearing some of the songs that they cut, like Never Ending Hill, which absolutely rips live! I was glad I got to hear Black Horseman because the night I saw King he had to leave that one out due to him having food poisoning. I am in the firm belief that whatever the band could have played last Friday, it would have been epic. They were just THAT good.
"We are Grim Salvation, we play heavy metal and melt faces, now quit gawking and go mental!"

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2015, 02:50:27 pm »
Just saw King Diamond last night in San Bernardino! Every instrument was superb! King's vocal are still going strong. And what a stage show! It worked really well on a larger stage, the haunted house background looked so real; they should have kept it up longer than a couple of songs. Miss the days of King doing pyro. I don't know why Slayer gets to and not KD? Permit cost? Glad that Jodi was able to come along. Always love seeing her antics onstage. Does Livia usually not sing on the Eye? I noticed she was missing from the stage during that song. Sadly I was not close enough to the stage to see Matt's glass shattering trick.

It was an exceptional performance. My only complaint is the setlist. And no "You can't please everyone and include every song" argument holds water. There was literally nothing from this century! Why not stand behind and represent the albums you are doing now and putting out for the fans to buy? I'm sure there were some new converts out there at Mayhem Fest, and every time I meet younger fans, they are always wondering about new albums coming out. This setlist seems to say. "yeah we stopped making albums in 1997". Abigail is my favorite album of ALL time, but for a shortened set, three songs were unnecessary. "7th Day Of July 1777" was an awesome treat, but they could have dropped or shortened Black Horsemen. Consider axeing also "Evil" or "Come To The Sabbath...it is a KD show after all, and put in maybe a medley of songs from later day albums like "The Storm" and "Darkness" not to mention the fan favorite, but never heard live "LOA House". It's not about making everyone happy, it's just having a set list that is more balanced and representative of the whole King Diamond era, rather than just being greatest hits period piece.

All in all, I had a great time. There were a lot of people there in KD shirts and even MF shirts. I wouldn't say that people left after KD, actually more people came in right after KD's set. Oh well, it's their loss. Slayer was great as well. I will never get all the hate towards them. Slayer and KD are among the few metal bands that have remained dedicated to their principle sound throughout the years.
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline fatekingfate

• Salem
    • Bloody Face (official band website)
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2015, 05:36:01 pm »
Had to give my ticket to a friend for the chula vista show, Ugggggh, Had to work!   :-[ that is okay! I can't wait for king and or fate to return and new albums! I did get to see mercyful fate in Tijuana mexico on the in the shadows tour back then and I cherish that night forever!! Metal on king and company! Love you!!!  \m/ :king: :icon_twisted:

Offline Spectre

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2015, 06:16:29 pm »
Awesome to see the raglan in the merch poo. Will be getting that for sure when they come by here.

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2015, 11:51:41 am »
Thanks for the reviews and setlist. Sounds like it was kick ass. Cant wait for tomorrow!

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2015, 03:56:29 am »
I agree with Count Jonah regarding the set-list! For a 10 songs show I'd put less old classics and more modern stuff! I think Welcome Home, and maybe The Family Ghost or Sleepless Nights are the only must! Then I'd go for songs like LOA House (wich would unleash the hell live), and something extremely theatric like The Storm, The Wheelchair, The Ritual, The Floating Head, etc., even to let know to the younger generation who is King Diamond now! And yes, I too love Evil and Come To The Sabbath, but I won't sacrifice a couple of King Diamond songs for those! Especially in a shorter set like this!
My personal thoughts, of course!

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2015, 12:17:24 pm »
Im wearing my Mercyful Fate shirt and wouldnt mind hearing more Mercy material at the the show. And im glad his bringing the classics. Its the first time im bringing my girl to see King. So happy she will get to experience the older stuff live.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:12:46 pm by Tuwin »

Offline CyniclBastrd

• Spirit
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2015, 02:57:40 pm »
I too love Evil and Come To The Sabbath, but I won't sacrifice a couple of King Diamond songs for those!

I've seen Ozzy a couple times and couldn't imagine complaining that Paranoid was in the set. Also it was mine and my friends first time seeing KD and we were shocked and delighted to hear any Mercy songs. It was a complete bonus.

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2015, 05:16:55 pm »
I feel it as a different thing. Paranoid is a Black Sabbath song, but it is nevertheless an Ozzy Osbourne must.
Don't get me wrong, I was seriously going crazy when I've seen them playing Come To The Sabbath and Evil back in 2006! That was totally unexpected! But if you ask me, I will always prefer more King Diamond songs in a King Diamond show! It's a matter of tastes! :)

Offline sethydoo666

• Spirit
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2015, 12:18:27 pm »
I saw King last night, July 4th, in Albuquerque, NM... amazing.

Totally makes up for last fall when I drove all the way to Tuscon (at night, in the rain) and the concert at the Rialto was cancelled. That was for me quite devastating. Livia gave her word when they said they would be back and to my surprise they came to my city. No driving!! 10 years since you played at the sunshine theatre, I'll tell this was a VERY special performance last night.

As soon as I heard King was coming to town I called my sister whom went with me to see him in Tuscon and asked her if she wanted to go. She does not really listen to metal she is just open minded about it. Also got my brother in law to go as well. He does not really listen to metal either although he grew up in the eighties and saw bands like Dio and Maiden. They are now huge King Diamond fans! My bro in law actually bought a King Diamond shirt which totally suprises me cause it just seems so out of place for this guy to ever wear a metal shirt. They were blown away!! I mean the look of absolute shock and amazement on their faces was priceless. I don't think they knew quite what to expect. This is a quote from both of them "Best show ever!!"... Being able to share something I love so much with people that I love, and to have them love it too is one of best feelings ive ever had. We are definitely going to see you again, come hell or high water.

And I noticed that a lot of people were freaked out and in awe of Kings performance. Most of the people were there for Slayer, but King just blatantly blew everybody else that played off the stage. I mean they went on after Hellyeah, which isn't really that hard to top. Its not even debatable who put on the best show. I like Slayer (they are not their usual selves btw) but they couldn't follow King. I think a lot of people in Albuquerque are going to be doing some research on who King Diamond is after this one. I had heard a lot of rumblings about King Diamond who? because well Albuquerque metal fans seem to like their training bra metal and are a tad ignorant about who is really legendary. I can totally picture some people sitting down at breakfast this morning discussing "Man did you see that King Diamond band?? WTF??""

And being a lifelong KD/MF fan it was just the best for me.. great set btw.  You are so talented and your voice sounds amazing, better than ever. Thank you King Diamond for being a class act and bringing so much happiness and joy to me and my family. It was the night of a lifetime. Please be safe and best wishes to you and your family. I hope you get around to reading this at some point! Cheers!!

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »
After experiencing the show, I would agree that it would have been nice to have some stuff from The Puppet Master, even if they had to hack Mercyful Fate material. It was still a killer show though. Had a couple dudes sitting next to me who were their for Slayer but kept commenting about how good King sounded and how kick ass the music was. They kept asking who that weird old lady was who kept coming on stage. It was comical to listen to. I think they are new King Diamond fans, though.  :king: Wish it wasn't over

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2015, 11:51:27 am »
Not a fan of festivals and really not a fan of the lineup on this one at all. Hopefully once this mini tour is over they will all go back in the studio TOGETHER and create one hell of a album that will melt faces and then do a proper tour. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:52:14 am by Maiden Jersey »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2015, 02:38:22 pm »
Mini tour? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the largest audiences King has preformed in front of in the USA? I know KD/MF have headlined the Metalfest here before, but those venues were probably not even half as large as the ones on this tour.

Offline Mani

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2015, 02:49:31 pm »
"So we made the deal
Under the starry night and
Amon belongs to Them now"

Offline Black Devil 13

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2015, 02:53:10 pm »
I 've just finished watching some HQ live footage from the Phoenix concert a few days ago.I just wanted to say : UNBELIEVABLE!UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE!The man's getting better and better!His voice sounds amazing!I've seen him 4 times throughout the years,and I can't believe my eyes!Awesome!! :king:

PS:For fuck's shake King,give us a live dvd-bluray!Every little shitty band in this world has produced at least one live dvd!Stop tormenting us! :disturbed:
PANATHINAIKOS

THE KING OF EUROPE...

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2015, 03:04:58 pm »
I agree with Count Jonah regarding the set-list! For a 10 songs show I'd put less old classics and more modern stuff! I think Welcome Home, and maybe The Family Ghost or Sleepless Nights are the only must! Then I'd go for songs like LOA House (wich would unleash the hell live), and something extremely theatric like The Storm, The Wheelchair, The Ritual, The Floating Head, etc., even to let know to the younger generation who is King Diamond now! And yes, I too love Evil and Come To The Sabbath, but I won't sacrifice a couple of King Diamond songs for those! Especially in a shorter set like this!
My personal thoughts, of course!
Thank you for making a very good supporting statement Blackest. I don't think it's a case of less versus more old/new, but just having the set-list accurately balanced out. In this case it went from imbalanced to completely leaving out the new albums. The Graveyard is almost 20 years old! Slayer had a ton of newer songs in their setlist, a situation I think would still be the same if they didn't have the extra 15-20 minutes. And I think we all can agree here that King Diamond has far better latter-day albums than Slayer.... :read:  :king:
I know they are amazing classics, but they have all been played on the KD tours since the beginning. How many tours has the song "Magic" been played on? Drop "Tea", "Evil", "A Visit From The Dead" and turn "The Eye" and "Black Horsemen" into a medley and give Voodoo, HoG, Puppetmaster, Abgail 2 and yes, even GMYSP a chance to be heard live and appreciated by the fans old and new.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2015, 03:08:45 pm »
I 've just finished watching some HQ live footage from the Phoenix concert a few days ago.I just wanted to say : UNBELIEVABLE!UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE!The man's getting better and better!His voice sounds amazing!I've seen him 4 times throughout the years,and I can't believe my eyes!Awesome!! :king:

PS:For fuck's shake King,give us a live dvd-bluray!Every little shitty band in this world has produced at least one live dvd!Stop tormenting us! :disturbed:

Hell yeah (so to speak)! Us fans should chant "King release the DVDs" at the shows. And all the fans of the other bands can take pity on us since their bands already have several DVDs out and none of the theatrics....

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2015, 04:39:12 pm »
Mini tour? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the largest audiences King has preformed in front of in the USA? I know KD/MF have headlined the Metalfest here before, but those venues were probably not even half as large as the ones on this tour.

I am not talking about how many people go to the freaking show.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2015, 06:53:27 pm »
Generally a mini-tour is considered a handful of dates in small venues, this is neither of those qualifications. This tour is a pretty big deal for KD. It's too bad they don't have a NEW release out to capitalize on it.

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2015, 07:47:35 pm »
Generally a mini-tour is considered a handful of dates in small venues, this is neither of those qualifications. This tour is a pretty big deal for KD. It's too bad they don't have a NEW release out to capitalize on it.

Okay whatever you say.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:49:18 pm by Maiden Jersey »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2015, 11:12:09 pm »
Calm down friend. You think this is a mini-tour, I think this is a pretty big tour. Let's agree to disagree.  :party82:

Now onto the upcoming King Diamond/Mercyful Fate compilation DVDs....  :king:

Offline Black Devil 13

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2015, 11:56:42 am »
Hell yeah (so to speak)! Us fans should chant "King release the DVDs" at the shows. And all the fans of the other bands can take pity on us since their bands already have several DVDs out and none of the theatrics....
There's no need to be ironic.And also King really doesn't need his ass being kissed by anyone.Nothing wrong for a tiny little muttering from a 40-year-old die-hard fan.
Anyway,the fact remains the same.King Diamond is the only legendary metal artist that hasn't released a live dvd-bluray.
Sorry for bitching about it...
PANATHINAIKOS

THE KING OF EUROPE...

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2015, 12:45:16 pm »
How many times have we been over the fucking dvd thing  :help:  I am not even gonna mention his name...