Author Topic: Your hopes for the next KD album?  (Read 15307 times)

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
Your hopes for the next KD album?
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:52:56 AM »
Understanding that it is totally King's decision to write and produce material that appeals to him in 2015 and beyond, this is what I hope for:

(1) Production: I hate the production on House of God (HOG). When songs are good (title track, Catacomb) they defy production. When songs are average and laborious, they sound terrible without embellishment (Black Devil - IMO the worst KD song ever). On the other hand, The Puppet Master (TPM) has great production. Give Me Your Soul... Please (GMYSP) is also very good. The guitars have a lot more bite than HOG, but it is perhaps OVER-produced at times. Same with Abigail 2. Compare GMYSP to The Eye: specifically Pete Blakk's final solo on 1642 Imprisonment. The guitars are much more raw & abrasive to the ear. Maybe that is an abandoned late 80's style? Shame, I think.

(2) Song-writing. As always, I favour melodic riffs in progressive songs: Welcome Home, Bye Bye Missy, Loa House, A Secret, Slippery Stairs, Mirror Mirror. These songs have loads of energy and keep the listener's interest. I am always disappointed by songs featuring slow, chord-heavy riffs at snail's pace (Black Devil, the verses in Trick or Treat & The Wheelchair).

(3) Livia. I love her voice on TPM. If she weren't on that record it wouldn't be as good as it is (in my Top 4). She always sounds great in background harmonies. If she does have a foreground role, her voice MUST suit the songs, as is mostly the case on TPM (He & She's amazing duet on Magic). On GMYSP, it sometimes sounds like she is shoe-horned in for no particular reason and I hate to say it, but the music suffers. Her presence risks becoming like that of Yoko Ono... :-[ I prefer it when KING does most of the character voices (Missy, Grandma, Jeanne Dibasson & others).

Lastly, I should note how amazing King's voice has sounded LIVE since his recovery. More falsetto... please! :P I hope to hear him 'all-guns-blazing' on the next CD. Any idea when that might be released? :D:

What are YOUR hopes for the next KD album?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:46:41 AM by paulcoz »
Paulcoz.

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
Re: Your hopes for the next KD album?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
Screw a new album for now. A live DVD/CD package, from Wacken or from whatever recent festival they have, that's what should come first! :P :gah: :WiNkA:

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:28:47 AM »
We had to open this can of worms, huh? It's not in my DNA to say things in a vanilla politically correct manner, so this kind of shit always gets the moderators coming after me.

OK, I'll play.

1. Better songs. Sure, sounds like an easy advice, but also like I'm bashing the past few albums. You know what? I am. The songs on the last few albums have been extremely simplistic, non-memorable, monotonous and well below par for what a KD release should entail. The songs that stand out are a sore contrast to the ones that don't. KD used to have more of an even standard on the albums, where you would be hard pressed to pick out a weak track. I realize it's not the late 80's/early 90's anymore, and that things have changed drastically, but given the space between albums, one would think there would be sufficient time to navigate in for a higher standard of songwriting. There should not be one dud on this next album. Not one. To just let the rhythm guitars chug along and accentuate the vocal "melody" (often just spoken lately) is a cop-out. That's not a riff; that's just fluff. I miss the progressive elements and I miss the riffs that carry the melodic themes. Hell, I miss melody, period.

2. Drums. Matt is a phenomenal drummer. I know this because I have the Shaolin Death Squad album and because I have seen King live. However, I would NOT know this from just listening to the studio albums. Matt's drumming is under such tight leashes on album that it sounds like programming. I am NOT saying it IS programmed drums on there, just that it SOUNDS like it. Let Matt fly free on the drum arrangements and add his punch to the music. I am sick of the boring slick trotting-along drumming of late on albums. Where's the energy? Where's the fury? Where's the drumming out of the box? Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, could play the drum parts of the last few KD albums. Who could say that back when "Them" came out?

3. Production. Paul mentioned it as well. The production as of late, in all its "organic" glory, is a bit flat and lifeless. Nothing that says "oomph" and nothing that grabs you by the balls. Again, I realize it's not the late 80s, and that the world has moved on from soaking wet reverbs and huge bombastic keyboards, but checking out what other producers do with metal albums these days to get an idea of what "good" sounds like in this day and age would probably be a benefit to the sound. There are tons of metal bands out there, with far less experience or means that get killer sounds out of their offerings.

4. Producer. Bring in an outside producer. I think it's great that King takes an active part of the production of the album (it's his baby after all), but I think the time has come to go back to having an outside producer inject some fresh perspective into the mix and to get King out of his pattern. If we only surround ourselves with people who say "yes", then we get nowhere and we lack the honesty required to move forward. Get Andy Sneap. He would KILL as a KD producer.

5. Voice. King is singing BETTER THAN EVER, and I can't wait to hear that on album!

6. Story. With King's recent rendez-vous with death and trials and tribulations, I have a feeling there is a good story brewing in that head of his. Can't wait to see what darkness unfolds on the next album.

7. Livia. Ah, Livia... Sorry, but no. No disrespect whatsoever, just honesty. Live, yes. On album, just no.

I think that's it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »
I hope king will record this year. but I duubt With this summer festival
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:57:13 PM by bolivarmaxi »
BAMT

Offline Painkiller

• Up From The Grave
  • Rocking the Night Away
    • Forces of Steel
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 06:00:28 PM »
Complaining about bad production, while recommending Andy Sneap, is quite an oxymoron.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:01:45 PM by Painkiller »

Offline majorfabs

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 02:26:25 AM »
Complaining about bad production, while recommending Andy Sneap, is quite an oxymoron.

:icon_lol:
I knew that was coming...

I agree andy wouldn't be the best fit for a KD production, but he definitely knows his shit. See the production of Accept or Hell releases.

My wishes for a new KD album would be:
the melodies and songwriting of Abigail, Conspiracy, Them and The Eye, the production of The Puppetmaster

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 04:36:00 AM »
As long as its nothing like GMYSP I'll be happy I'm sure...
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline GGGOOODD

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 01:59:18 PM »
Nice to see a thread that isn't full of fanboys.  :king:

1. Lengthy instrumental sections. And a full instrumental song (not just an interlude).

2. Huge solos from Andy and Mike. These guys are too good to be limited to 15 second filler after the verse.

3. It would be cool if King used his natural deep voice. Usually he sings pretty nasally to get that sneering inflection which is fine, but I think he sounds great when he uses his chest more and goes for lower notes- like in the chorus of Shadows and Nightmare Be Thy Name, or the spoken parts in Black Horsemen, The Accusation Chair and The Trial.

4. Real drumming. Someone needs to tell King to stop writing drum parts/pushing the drums to the background and let Matt do his thing. I say this because of an interview where King said that he writes the drums for his stuff outside of the very early Mercyful Fate/King Diamond days.

5. Atmosphere. Maybe some production tricks.

Offline cls

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
The single biggest mistake that King Diamond made in his solo career was relegating his drummer to the role of a time keeper after Conspiracy.  It's pretty obvious to me that he hasn't done a lot of writing with this drummers since the departure of Dee.   Mikkey was King Diamond's Keith Moon.  The replacement drummers have all been Kenny Jones. 

I'm not a drummer......but a big reason I listen to those first four KD albums is because of Mikkey Dee.  He's just incredible.  He brought a sense of swing and a jazzy element to the music that made it totally unique.  For me, he's a lot like Bill Ward of Black Sabbath in that regard (if you don't know what I'm talking about listen to Vol. 4).  The quirky, creative, unpredictable things they're doing below the surface of the music give those songs a real dynamic quality.   You can't teach that innate grasp of what a song needs and when it needs it. 

I think it's pretty obvious how King writes these days.  He writes alone, he uses a drum machine, and gets his drummer to replicate the programmed tracks without any freelancing.  Matt Thompson has said as much.  There's undoubtedly some budget considerations behind the decision.

Nevertheless, I don't think King fully realizes how the loss of a dynamic drummer has affected his sound.  It went from a sort of beautiful controlled chaos, to something that, while still enjoyable, is a lot more pedestrian sounding.  I hate to sound esoteric, but his post-Conspiracy output just doesn't breathe like it used to. 

My unsolicited .02: write with a drummer. 

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »

Intelligent comment. Andy Sneap is obviously a fucking hack. Who needs power, clarity, a tight low end, a solid dynamic drum sound and prominent heavy guitars in their metal? Surely not Exodus, Megadeth, Nevermore, Accept, Arch Enemy, Kreator etc...

Actually, Sneap mixed a "King Diamond" track once on the Roadrunner All Stars CD. Even with Heafy's processed production, he managed to wrestle a pretty good sound out of "Into the Fire". His own band, Hell, has two fantastic sounding albums well worth checking out for KD fans. I think he would be an excellent fit for a KD recording. What I like the most about him, other than his insane attention to detail, is that he challenges the musicians to give it their all, not just phone it in. Matt Thompson would actually PLAY the drums! Perish the thought!

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »
Intelligent comment. Andy Sneap is obviously a fucking hack. Who needs power, clarity, a tight low end, a solid dynamic drum sound and prominent heavy guitars in their metal? Surely not Exodus, Megadeth, Nevermore, Accept, Arch Enemy, Kreator etc...

Actually, Sneap mixed a "King Diamond" track once on the Roadrunner All Stars CD. Even with Heafy's processed production, he managed to wrestle a pretty good sound out of "Into the Fire". His own band, Hell, has two fantastic sounding albums well worth checking out for KD fans. I think he would be an excellent fit for a KD recording. What I like the most about him, other than his insane attention to detail, is that he challenges the musicians to give it their all, not just phone it in. Matt Thompson would actually PLAY the drums! Perish the thought!
+1000000

Andy Sneap knows how to push the artist to get the best out of him/her. He would be a great external producer to KD, IMHO.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 06:41:37 AM »
I have to agree with most of the points being made here.

-Let loose the drums! Matt is a beast and it's high time the studio albums reflect this. Listen to the the 80's Ozzy albums, loud ass drums. In metal this only helps the overall sound and does not take away from any of the other instruments or vocals. Who here doesn't like to hear some mean double bass pounding with a guitar harmony or soaring chorus?

-Producer? Yes! Face it, sometimes you need an outside opinion. That is what got King to use MORE of the falsettos.

-Story. Darker, more serious, more bodies, more mysterious, menacing ghost and less Casper types. I will give GMYSP credit for kind of breaking the fourth wall. That was cool.

-I agree with Paul that the music needs to be faster with an epic, intense urgent feel. That's not to say some time changes won't work here and there, the slower riffs in "At The Graves" for example.

-Speaking of riffs, please keep them loud, distorted and extra crunchy!  \m/

-The infamous grandpa vocals. I think King would be better off using a death growl or the blackened "Arrival" type vocals instead for those parts when he's not using his high pitch or low/midrange gothic wail.

-Keyboards and lighter parts should sound epic, eerie, haunting or majestic and never fluffy and light for the sake of light.

-Now one thing I have to disagree with mostly everyone here is Livia. I think she is and has been an excellent addition to the band. She IS that extra bit of MAGIC that makes TPM the masterpiece that it is. Now I will be honest, GMYSP is at the bottom of my list of favorites, but I think her performance is one of the albums finer moments. Live, I have the opposite complaint; I don't think she is high enough in the mix and there SHOULD be more songs that feature her vocals prominently in the setlist. And come on guys, she has never done anything even close to Yoko-ish!
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 06:48:07 AM »
The single biggest mistake that King Diamond made in his solo career was relegating his drummer to the role of a time keeper after Conspiracy.  It's pretty obvious to me that he hasn't done a lot of writing with this drummers since the departure of Dee.   Mikkey was King Diamond's Keith Moon.  The replacement drummers have all been Kenny Jones. 

Ah man....Voodoo! VOODOO! I love that drum sound.

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 08:20:59 AM »

word add me
BAMT

Offline cls

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »
Ah man....Voodoo! VOODOO! I love that drum sound.

It's funny you should mention that album.  I almost referenced Voodoo in my post.  It's by far my favorite post-Conspiracy album  --- and a big part of that is the vibrant drumming.   The drummer is just a lot more involved in the songs.   

Whatever King did with the drums on Voodoo he should keep doing.

Offline U-94

• Up From The Grave
  • "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war."
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »
Andy Sneap or Peter Tagtgren.....but it seems since he built a studio in his home that he's trying to keep the cost low. I doubt they'd bring in anybody to help.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »
It's funny you should mention that album.  I almost referenced Voodoo in my post.  It's by far my favorite post-Conspiracy album  --- and a big part of that is the vibrant drumming.   The drummer is just a lot more involved in the songs.   

Whatever King did with the drums on Voodoo he should keep doing.

I remember reading an article by Jeff Wagner at the time that gave credit for the fuller, vibrant drum sound to the analog recording as opposed to digital. I don't know much about that, but recording and mixing are half the battle. No one will dispute what a great drummer Mikkey Dee is, but they way the drums are put on Them...just tragic.   >:D

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
Quote from: Count Jonah
"but the way the drums are put on Them...just tragic."

Since the music on "Them" is so strong and the other instruments are recorded/mixed the way they are, it hardly matters... messing with the drums would obscure other elements.

C'mon... can't expect an objective critique of "Them" from me. It's the holy grail of KD! My number one. The album to end all albums, etc...  :gah:

Paulcoz.

Offline Painkiller

• Up From The Grave
  • Rocking the Night Away
    • Forces of Steel
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »

All of those bands you've named sound pretty generic on their recent releases, thanks to his overpolished mixing style.

If you like samey, plastic-ridden production values, then more power to you.

Also, Hell is not "his" band -- he's a recruited member. I know that David Halliday taught him how to play guitar, but he wasn't involved with the rest of Hell's musicians at all until recent years.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:20:09 PM by Painkiller »

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »
The day I start to make random goat sounds into the microphone, you can call me Yoko.

(Hint: watch Chuck Berry's face)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h9kgu71d81U
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »
The day I start to make random goat sounds into the microphone, you can call me Yoko.

HAHA! Classic!

Offline Chagosomar

• Angel Of Light
  • "Moonchild!!! Hear the mandrake scream!"
    • Deadly Fujow. A dark ambient project
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »
I agree with a lot of grace's opinions. Not big on sneap, but Matt should be unleashed for sure.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 03:29:18 AM »

Well said! Then King would REALLY have to kiss the goat!  :king:

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 03:38:29 AM »
Quote from: Count Jonah
"the music needs to be faster with an epic, intense urgent feel."

YES!

Listen to that 'intense urgent feeling' during Andy's solo on Black Horsemen... The 7 horsemen will arrive before dawn. Will they be in time to save Jonathan & Miriam? What will they find at the house!? :icon_eek:

Hear it during Pete Blakk's solo on Victimised... Priest, do you remember King, the loony one, the one who killed his grandma up on the hill? OMG, they've got it in for him! *epic, LENGTHY solo* Now he's back, the loony one! *huge, chunky guitar part*, a quick change of time & arpeggio. Back to the verse!  :fingers:

During the solos, the rhythm guitars are doing one thing. The solos aren't imitating or merely synching on the downbeat, they are doing something else entirely! When these parts combine there is this indescribable tension. This feeling is absent when the band plays blues over a slow/simplistic riff or series of chords, sometimes with no change of key. Where is the NEO-CLASSICAL sound? Andy's solo on The 7th Day of July 1777 & A Mansion in Darkness. The effortless finger tapping, arpeggios, artificial harmonics and palm muting. That driving, symphonic sound! The 'A B A B' form in the rhythm guitars with the solo doing its own thing above - during Black Horsemen (Andy), Broken Glass (Mike) & countless other classic moments.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:43:14 AM by paulcoz »
Paulcoz.

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
During the solos, the rhythm guitars are doing one thing. The solos aren't imitating or merely synching on the downbeat, they are doing something else entirely! When these parts combine there is this indescribable tension.

I think KD got back to that, for a short sweet moment, on "Abigail II", where the solos were one of few saving graces (along with the best song in modern KD era: "Spirits"). Mike really shines on that album and shows what he could bring to the table on any album. I remember having discussions with my buddies, when we were kids, about whose solo was best on what song, and then we would try to figure out how to play them for the longest time. I haven't felt like that about any solos on any KD release after "The Eye", until "Abigail II" came out, and I actually had the same discussion with some of the same people - however many years later. It was that exciting.

It's all in the details, and it all makes up what made us fall in love with King's music to begin with, and I guess that is why many of the posters above are looking for some of those things on the next album: creative drumming, memorable guitar solos, better production, darker story (somebody said "Casper the ghost", and that's exactly what we have had lately), more of a BAND effort etc... In the end King does what he wants, but it is nice to exchange ideas and observations with his diehard longtime fans like this.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:46:09 AM by Grace »