Author Topic: Your hopes for the next KD album?  (Read 15303 times)

Offline palavos3

• Just A Shadow
Re: Your hopes for the next KD album?
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »
On the other hand I would like Livia to sing one song on the new album by herself. That would be interesting

Offline kingotnw

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2015, 03:50:56 AM »
I just want an album full of new material. That's all the things I would like from it, just for there to be one soon. I don't understand how fans of an artist get so consumed with things like live blurays or what have you. IMO that should always come as an after-thought to new material. Without new music, the rest of it is pointless.

King is coming here in November, and I can't wait to see him, however... I was extremely disappointed when I found out he intends to play the entire Abigail album. I would rather get newer material than a full album that came out thirty years ago. It's a great album, but it's history. I'm not into nostalgia acts. If I wanted that, I would put on the CD, or listen to/watch any of the millions of recordings of those songs being played live over the period of said thirty years since the album was released.

This is a sign of what goes wrong with older bands. They stop creating and just live off of their 'glory days'. King is better than that. There's no reason for him not to be putting out great new material for us to listen to. I can't believe how long it's been since we got a new studio album.

I'm excited about seeing him live, but I give not two shits about a live bluray or album if there isn't new material on it. I'm not trying to be rude, but Christ... Let's all preorder the album and get the ball rolling.

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2015, 06:19:51 AM »
kingotnw: Actually that was very well said. Nothing rude about that
"Satanism is about the Powers/Spirits of Darkness/Unknown" - King Diamond

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2015, 10:07:58 AM »
I'd sign under almost everything Grace has said.

Nonetheless, there's still hope. Many old school bands have proven they can still write, produce and put out their masterpiece. Why not King?

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2015, 09:34:35 AM »
Ok, now I'm giving my contribution! :)

Production: I like heavy and pumped guitars! I'd be literally CRAZY to hear a new album that sounds like In The Fire from the Roadrunner United disc! And if a producer could help on this, then it'll be more than welcome for me! :cool:

Songwriting: The current line-up is one of the best ever, and I bet they would have no problem to make an album like "Them", with plenty and several time changes, 4 or 5 different riffs per song and killer solos threading and chasing each other! And all with a modern pumped production! Awesome!!!!! \m/

Drums: "Matt is as clever as Mikkey Dee" said King once! And I am completely in agreement with him! He showed his superb talent many times! Unfortunately I have also to agree with those who said that in the newer albums we can't see that! Let's the guy fly free!!!!!!!!! :drummer:

Story: I know King is deeply inspired by his hospital experiences! Can't wait to be captured by some claustrophobic atmospheres, strapped to a hospital bed and brought in the maze of some infamous hospital basement, screaming for my life, by a psychopathic doctor!!! :Jason_anim:

Voice: Concernig the "more falsetto" thing, I have to say... Yes, I too love King's falsetto and would like to hear it more in the new album, but don't forget that the 80's are gone! In the artist's point of view it's stimulant to enter in new camps and experiment new ways of approaching! King developed lot of shades with his full voice in the last years, and it's more expressive than ever! And I love it!
Don't get me wrong, I'd be very disappointed to hear a new album with no falsetto vacals, but he's doing well to enhance his new potential! To me the perfect balance would be a thing like Abigail II, in which there are all of his full voice features, though there's still plenty of falsetto in the lead vocals, not just backing!
Moreover, I'll tell you that many people that I know who works in music business told me that high vocals nowadays are considered outdated, and from a commercial point of view they are to be discarted! Sad, but that's it! Not that I'm 100% in agreement though!

Livia: We all know King can interpretate every female character, like he always did! But on the other hand, once again, don't forget that the 80's are gone! Back in the old days that was functional to the current enterteinment approaching! let's face it, in the 80's everything was parodistic and tacky (I love it :D)! And it worked! But now... ::)
We have also to think that music is not just for we old fans, but it's in the artist's interest to capture the attention of the new generation, as well as get satisfaction from new challenges!
That's the case! The inclusion of Livia is artistically functional!

Cheers! :king:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:36:20 AM by Blackest »

Offline Stubs

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2015, 06:43:33 AM »
Grace made some important points and I agree with about 90% of what he said. I think the most insightful thing many have mentioned is that one reason we all enjoy King's early stuff so much has to do with the stylistic playing of Mikkey Dee. I read an interview where King hinted that writing with Dee was actually made more difficult by Dee's insistence on busy drum parts and crazy fills. King seemed to feel that it took away from the vocals and made it harder to write around. Maybe he's right, but the proggy sound of Abigail, Them, and Conspiracy has so much to do with the unleashed drumming.

If I could choose anything from the lists I've seen in this thread for the new album, it would be to take Matt's collar off and let him reinterpret King's drum concepts with a free hand. It would inject more life into the new music than any of the other suggestions, in my humble opinion. 

Offline Stubs

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »
One more thing.
One of the coolest things that ever happens when a singer works with a drummer is this:
I'm used to working after the arrangement has been iced. (No more rewrites)
I loved it when the drummer would change his parts live to fit the vocal. Fills, etc.
I loved it even more when I showed him exactly what I would sing and his reinterpretation made me want to rework my original phrasing.
I did it a lot.
I can't wait for the Chicago show. Y'all have no idea.  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:31:31 AM by Stubs »

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »
I wish they would take a month or so and all get together and create and record the album TOGETHER. 

Offline Mohican

• Gypsy
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2015, 07:37:32 AM »
Grace said it all pretty much, so I will keep it short and add my suggestions:

1) Production - for me anything after The Eye sounds too dry and overproduced...EXCEPT Voodoo and Dead Again. So as for the producers go, I would like to hear for example Sterling Winfield behind the knobs again. That sound is/was massive and aggressive!
And also - yes I know 80-s are gone, but let's bring back that HUGE drum sound and also reverbs.

2) Drums - like many here before me suggested....unleash Matt! I dare to say there's no big difference between let's say GMYSP and The Graveyard regarding drums. I would like to hear more creative approach in the rhythm section - we all know Matt is up for it, so let him groove!

3) Livia - I kind of like her on The Puppet Master, but not on GMYSP - there her singing sounds just unnecessary. BUT..someone suggested that he would like to hear Livia sing one song for herself on the new album. That would be cool for me too - but not with King and in the same song....no.
You and me...we`re not even the same species...

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Lurker From The Dark
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2016, 11:00:44 AM »
A bit of nostalgia some of that old school energy with some new musical arangements...allot of people brought up Matt and drums I tend to agree he needs to bring a signature sound much like our  Andy does on guitar and he is certainly capable and really think the drums could use more expressive parts blast beats double kick shuffles etc though that is something for King and Matt to work out and decide what sounds best.

As for Kings vocals I always felt they fit the music well  never an issue for me be it low growls to shrieking falsettos always seems to mesh.  I would like the guitars Andy Mike and Pontus to really get into a groove with a few trade off solos some tight fast but pronounced rythms to showcase incredible timing...and captivate as I felt most all Kd/Mf riffs usally always have.

As for production I think with all the knowledge over 30 years better equipment mixing mastering as well as having the freedom of having a home studio not being rushed by any factor will probably in my opinion make the recording sound better and more direct than outside studios.

In short I just hope its heavy and soon I can't wait....

Stay heavy  \m/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:17:10 PM by Shadowswhisper »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline pinky6

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
We need an update on the progress of what stage they are at in the making of the Album. I have never been so frustrated with a band like this before. I mean if we have to hear about summer tour dates and festivals before this album is released  :kopfpatsch:
They need to release the album before they do anymore tours or venues. I think King Diamond fans have been beyond patient. I mean this is worse than Tool. Tool will likely put out there album before KD get theirs done. :devil-smiley-011:

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
The hope is they do the new album this year
BAMT

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2016, 08:55:55 AM »
The hope is that there EVER will be a new album.

Offline GGGOOODD

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2016, 05:27:08 PM »
King's an old man who smoked for 30+ years. Every year that goes by and tour they do the closer his vocal decline is. I don't know what they're waiting for!

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2016, 10:07:25 PM »
King's an old man who smoked for 30+ years. Every year that goes by and tour they do the closer his vocal decline is. I don't know what they're waiting for!

King is also an amazing man who has quit smoking cold turkey in 2010, and has been sounding better than ever. His vocals are far from declining.
Not a 100% sure what you are basing your comment on, really.

-----

Hey, I got my own segment on album opinions! *grin*

King said several times that if the story requires any parts to be sung by me, and it makes perfect sense to do so as per the story or production or whatever, then I will do it. But in the same equal vein, if there is no need, he will not shoehorn me into the album/story, simply because I am his wife and I need to be on it.
Obviously. :)

Let me add here (without sounding self-aggrandizing), that my vocals have improved considerably in the past 9 years since the last album. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:10:04 PM by Livia Zita »
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline LucasRomao

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2016, 07:49:52 AM »
I agree with you Livia!  :little_devil:

One of the 1st things that my friends in Brazil asked me after I attended some shows in US (Nov/2015) was about his voice and live performance.
Immediately my answer was that his voice sounds amazing and much better comparing with a few years ago.

See and hear King singing so many classics on those shows make me travel back in time. After that I'm very anxious to know what he can create with his voice on the upcoming works.  :D: :D:

I can't wait to know more about the new album, the DVD/Blu-Ray and also to confirm my travel to Europe next June to go on some shows!!! \o/

#LLTK

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »
I agree with Livia, King still sound better than before, and she is a great add to the band she is awesome, any chance to give us some update from the next coming?
BAMT

Offline marblesmike

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2016, 08:37:28 AM »
King is also an amazing man who has quit smoking cold turkey in 2010, and has been sounding better than ever. His vocals are far from declining.
Not a 100% sure what you are basing your comment on, really.

-----

Hey, I got my own segment on album opinions! *grin*

King said several times that if the story requires any parts to be sung by me, and it makes perfect sense to do so as per the story or production or whatever, then I will do it. But in the same equal vein, if there is no need, he will not shoehorn me into the album/story, simply because I am his wife and I need to be on it.
Obviously. :)

Let me add here (without sounding self-aggrandizing), that my vocals have improved considerably in the past 9 years since the last album. :)

I can vouch about King's vocals live in recent years.  Everything I've seen from 2012 on has shown signs of his voice getting stronger and stronger every year.  I've caught him live three times in the last two years and each time his voice sounded better than the last.  I actually couldn't believe I was hearing him hit all the high notes during the Abigail tour.  1777 was always a song I thought would be tough for him to sing live and he sounded FANTASTIC on it.  Seriously, his live vocals sound better now than any recording I've heard of 80s shows and good for him!

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
It seems Livia is doing a lot of the vocals live now. If you watch the live shows you can see her on the side doing a lot of the singing for King
"Satanism is about the Powers/Spirits of Darkness/Unknown" - King Diamond

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
It seems Livia is doing a lot of the vocals live now. If you watch the live shows you can see her on the side doing a lot of the singing for King

I do NOT do *any* singing for King.

The only thing I do is sing harmonies to King's voice, to make the vocals sound closer to what is on the studio albums, like they were intended to sound, without having some stupid backing tape running on playback.

I never sing the same tune as King to "help" him sing. Any notion to that effect is ridiculous.

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2016, 01:19:46 PM »
I do NOT do *any* singing for King.

The only thing I do is sing harmonies to King's voice, to make the vocals sound closer to what is on the studio albums, like they were intended to sound, without having some stupid backing tape running on playback.

I never sing the same tune as King to "help" him sing. Any notion to that effect is ridiculous.

I agree with Livia, the live performance is closer to the reality instead to hear playback,  :king: :king:
Livia, please tell us if there are any chance to see the Blueray this year
BAMT

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2016, 05:09:07 PM »
I agree with Livia, the live performance is closer to the reality instead to hear playback,  :king: :king:
Livia, please tell us if there are any chance to see the Blueray this year

There is a chance, yes. We are still working on it, it will be a great DVD :)

Offline vitalsign0

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »
King's voice has been AMAZING recently. I saw King in 2014 and 2015 and both were better sounding than when I saw him on The Puppet Master tour. He sounds fantastic.

My wish for a new album would be for it to be a band effort. I think after The Eye things became more of King/Andy and then backing musicians. More of a solo artist with replaceable musicians. When you listen to Abigail and Them you hear a band. I think at times King tries to force a story instead of letting the music tell it. Focus less on lyrics and more on atmosphere. Don't try to be too clever. I think some of the lyrics have been poor on some recent albums, almost cheesy, making albums like Give Me Your Soul Please forgettable.

Whatever you do, make it happen! 

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2016, 06:52:40 AM »

fucking amazing thank you Livia, you are best canĀ“t wait  :king:
BAMT

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
You've made my day, Livia! Crossing my fingers to get it for Xmas... or even before. :)