Author Topic: Mercyful Fate Concert Intro Circa 1983  (Read 1595 times)

Offline jetcity

• Unborn
Mercyful Fate Concert Intro Circa 1983
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
At the beginning of several existing audience tapes from Mercyful Fate shows from 1982/83, you'll hear a two- or three-minute demonic intro playing over the PA.  It sounds like voices of a demonic choir sped up and slowed down, and then it decays into a church bell tolling and a brief flute solo.

You can hear it especially clearly on the Live from the Depths of Hell bootleg (which was a composite of live songs from 1983 and 1984).  Link here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqPGJOBXcnc

Does anyone know anything about this intro?  Where it came from?  Was it edited together from a sound effects album or a horror movie(s)?

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
  • Doomed by the living dead!
Re: Mercyful Fate Concert Intro Circa 1983
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:42:40 PM »
I am not 100% certain.
But from something i remember, the intro is an Alan Parsons Project song, played backwards.

And it sounds fucking awesome.   :king:
nah

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »
Bub: Wow really! Very Interesting.
"Satanism is about the Powers/Spirits of Darkness/Unknown" - King Diamond

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
  • Doomed by the living dead!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »
Bub: Wow really! Very Interesting.

From what i remember reading....way back, it is an Alan Parsons Song.  Intersting indeed.

Maybe when or if Livia reads this and can ask King about it, to be sure or even knows which song.   :king:
nah

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:41:23 AM »
Bub: Yeah lets hope she does. Thanks again. Wonder if King is a big fan then of the Alan Parsons Project

Offline jetcity

• Unborn
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 08:28:51 PM »
I am not 100% certain.
But from something i remember, the intro is an Alan Parsons Project song, played backwards.

And it sounds fucking awesome.   :king:

Found it (I think).  I believe the song they used is the first minute or so of the song "Total Eclipse" by the Alan Parsons Project from their 1977 album "I Robot".  Played backwards, as you said.

After that backwards bit ends, there is a tolling bell and a flute playing.  The bell could be from a sound FX album, though the flute sounds suspiciously like some bits of the soundtrack from "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" soundtrack.  I'm not sure it's from that; it simply sounds very similar. 

Great find!!  Thanks.

Here is the link to the Alan Parsons song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC60WnRGhp8

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 03:46:44 AM »
All I know is this entire topic has had me in the mood to go back and listen to a lot of classic Alan Parson songs :)