Author Topic: What's the best recent KD cd's?  (Read 2182 times)

Offline SEANG

• Unborn
What's the best recent KD cd's?
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:47:25 AM »
Hello all,

I'm new to KD and I'm looking to get some Cd's can anyone recommend the The Complete Roadrunner.... with the 5 KD c
Cd's in it? I know its pretty bare but I can do without the extra songs. Also are the standalone Cd's the same as the ones in the collection but just missing the extra songs?

Thank you
Sean

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
Re: What's the best recent KD cd's?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »
Hi, I recomend you to buy the all king diamond stuff is amazing plus Mercyful Fate
BAMT

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »
The Complete Roadrunner Collection is excellent value, a great way to get all of the classic KD albums. Of course, it is missing the extra tracks / alternate mixes and booklets of the other reissues. I really like some of those extras like Shrine, Phone Call and the "Them" rehearsal tracks.

The Puppet Master is great, but not exactly 'recent' anymore. :icon_biggrin: GMYSP is also very good. The 90s saw a bit of a slump in overall song quality & production, but there are some mighty tracks on those records as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:01:47 AM by paulcoz »
Paulcoz.

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 06:39:08 AM »
There are no recent ones.  The last one GMYSP seemed to disappoint fans a lot but the one before that The Puppet Master is a great one!
"Satanism is about the Powers/Spirits of Darkness/Unknown" - King Diamond

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
If you're new to King Diamond, I would suggest starting at the beginning and working your way to the most recent stuff. But that's just how I always get into a new band, do what ya want lol Can't really go wrong with any of his albums IMO because I like them all. You're going to want to get the Abigail CD soon, cause you'll want to hear the album before you see the DVD....and it's one of the best metal albums of all time also! :D

Offline Painkiller

• Up From The Grave
  • Rocking the Night Away
    • Forces of Steel
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:05:20 AM »
Start with Mercyful Fate's first EP and first two albums, and then get the first five King Diamond solo albums. Those are the bare minimums to every metalhead's collection. Most of the subsequent releases by both bands also have their moments, but they pale in comparison to the masterpieces preceding them.

Skip the mid-1990s material and don't listen to the 2007 album. Those were quite horrid. For me, the only reason I'd get them is for completion.

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:43:57 AM »
Speaking of the GMYSP album on wikipedia it says the concept was based off of the painting but I thought King said it was not

Offline GGGOOODD

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 06:44:17 AM »
I thought he said it's about his cat? 

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 12:11:19 AM »
Skip the mid-1990s material and don't listen to the 2007 album. Those were quite horrid. For me, the only reason I'd get them is for completion.
so skip spiders, graveyard and voodoo? Those are horrid? Sorry, but those are some great albums, and can't see how a fan of KD would say that. To each their own I guess, but that's outright laughable.

Offline SatanKing

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 06:49:21 AM »
I LOVE Spiders, Graveyard and Voodoo!

Offline vitalsign0

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 05:14:59 PM »
Voodoo is such an underrated album. The Loa House had one of the best solos on any KD album. Voodoo was HEAVY. Love the production on it.

Offline Painkiller

• Up From The Grave
  • Rocking the Night Away
    • Forces of Steel
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
so skip spiders, graveyard and voodoo? Those are horrid? Sorry, but those are some great albums, and can't see how a fan of KD would say that. To each their own I guess, but that's outright laughable.
Someone asked for recommendations, and I posted mine on which King Diamond albums to get first. To me, apart from parts of The Spider's Lullabye, none of those albums are really as important as the first five. They just don't grab me at all. Nothing more to it than that.

Either way, saving them for last is what I was saying, but the latest album should probably be avoided at all costs.

Offline camarochick

• Superpostwhore
  • Toward the Unknown
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:53:52 PM »
I wouldn't avoid gmysp "at all cost"- it's no abigail or them but there's some fantastic guitar work. Especially from wead, he's definitely upped his game. Now puppetmaster may have been stronger as far as newer material but as far as trying to prioritize a listening list it's not the easiest task. I'd steer you toward kd's voodoo and mf's 9 though (i'm assuming you've got a pretty solid handle on the classics)- good stuff there.

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Lurker From The Dark
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 01:51:18 AM »
All King diamond and Mercyful fate albums are wonderful each in different ways I suggest you listen to them all  \m/
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline TheUnborn

• Haunted
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 05:38:15 AM »

This.