Author Topic: Giving up on the new album?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline U-94

• Up From The Grave
  • "Frankly, I had enjoyed the war."
Giving up on the new album?
« on: June 23, 2016, 05:14:17 AM »
Per the last interview with King where it was brought up, he seemed kinda vigilant with his "The new album will arrive when it arrives" response. The last few years all we heard was how great his new home studio was coming along. Now it seems he doesn't want to be bothered with questions about the album. I am sure every interviewer wants to ask about it but nothing gets published, leaving me to suspect he is not taking questions regarding its recording.

Next year will be 5 years since his '3 album deal' with Metal Blade. Some bands have released 3 albums in that time period.

I saw the Abigail tour, it was great...but I want new music. I'm sure all the fans do. I am only interested in the latest thing you have written. I can't just keep listening to the same old albums. It's getting kinda ridiculous. At least make a statement saying there WON'T be any new songs. Seems like a waste given the deal AND the home studio installation.

Yes, I'm sure the greatest hits tours bring in money to pay off the medical bills but 5 years is a long time to hem and haw regarding this news.

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
Re: Giving up on the new album?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 05:28:01 AM »
Show some respect. That's all I think I need to say here. Don't be surprised if this gets locked.

Offline DevilEeeyes

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:41 AM »
I can't just keep listening to the same old albums. It's getting kinda ridiculous

I can certainly go on listening to them!  And I will.  New music would be great, but I'm not bothered at all.  King Diamond can do what he likes.

Hail King!   :king:

Offline pinky6

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
U-94 hit the nail on the head. We don't have to be politically correct here. I have already posted my discern for this subject. I have got to say that yes Im likely different than most here as I discovered King Diamond and Mercyful Fate in 2012, in my 40's. So I was lucky to have
the whole discography to collect on vinyl and tape, bit expensive but fun non the less. However I'm so desperate for some new metal that I listened to a group yesterday called BabyMetal and their song "THE ONE" :blush: . Im getting desperate here as you can see now. Please lets at least not be afraid to talk about it as this is a forum and It's like the white elephant in the room. I haven't been around during Kings album creations in the past and how he has communicated in the process/creation of the projects. I guess Im used to updates and teasers like some other big bands. Just sayin. :fauxcul:

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:52:13 AM »
pfffffff, yeah new music would be great,  but I'm glad the band is touring like madmen instead of making a CD. Reason being is, they are getting their name out there more, probably building a bigger fan base in the process, and making more money for themselves than they would if they made another CD right now. The new CD will come when they get to it, and the band owes us nothing.

And I'm sorry, but wtf does king diamond not releasing new music and baby metal have to do with one another? You're trying to blame them for you listening to that garbage? I don't get how the two are related.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 01:52:41 AM by Satans KINGdom »

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:13:14 AM »
Anyone who's been coming to this forum for the last 10 - 15 years knows that no matter what King does, people will not be satisfied. Whenever he goes into the studio to record, there's always people complaining that he should be out on tour, they never get to see him, blah, blah, blah. When he goes out on tour, people complain that it's been too long since he put out anything new, when will we get a new album, blah, blah, blah.

There's no pleasing some people.

King Diamond has been going strong for decades, and has overcome setbacks that would have retired lesser men. As fans, we're all lucky that King is still out there doing what he does best.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 09:54:57 AM »
TK...

This is EXACTLY what Felicia was talking about in her post in your "What does this forum need" thread. You can't chastise people for offering an opinion, even if it begs to differ with yours, or even with the general opinion of the forum. U-94's post wasn't necessarily disrespectfully expressed (other than the paying for medical bills part - true or not) and just vented a frustration around an issue everybody here is thinking about. By you breaking out the big stick, 14 minutes after the original post was made, you are discouraging differing opinions and killing off a potentially interesting subject to discuss, BEFORE you even know where the thread is heading.

You want discussions in this forum? Then let people discuss. A place where everybody agrees will turn into a musically intellectual wasteland with people posting "List your favorite KD albums" for the umpteenth time... Oh, wait.

The fact remains that the time between KD albums is frustratingly long, no matter the size of your fandom. Nine years since the last album. People are bound to have questions. Where else can they go to get answers? You are right to crack down on name calling, inappropriate pictures, disrespecting band members and trolls - but don't blur the line to include all and everything that is not "nice".

I know, you probably feel like I am telling you how to do your job, and I would not have chimed in if this VERY thing had not been brought up recently in a thread you yourself started to solicit advice in the first place.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 10:17:02 AM »
Breaking out the big stick? You read a lot into my post. And yeah, I need to "moderate" a thread before it gets going. Kind of the whole point.

I NEVER chastised his opinion. I chastised his candor. Look at the title of thread. I knew it would shit-posting as soon I saw the notification of new topic. As for whether or not the thread would be locked? It's happened before. Too many times to count.

Offline pinky6

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »
The BabyMetal was a little bit of a joke  :icon_wink:. That song I spoke of is actually good though. Like I said it's out of thirst for some new metal. But maybe the new album from his old band mates will hit the spot :king: Wish it would have been new Mercyful Fate. This will do for now. I guess King can take his time as Hopefully he is layering vocals like Abigail II and which does takes time.

Offline Chagosomar

• Angel Of Light
  • "Moonchild!!! Hear the mandrake scream!"
    • Deadly Fujow. A dark ambient project
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:35:37 AM »
I'd love to get a glimpse of King's home studio sometime. Would be cool. \m/

Offline Stubs

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 01:14:07 PM »
It should go without saying that a new album is highly anticipated. But I think the extended touring cycle may actually pay off here. Instead of working back and forth via computer, King is out there with his band every day, not at home by himself in Texas. The chance for interplay and bouncing ideas at soundchecks and so on is a great opportunity to inspire the band to really gel (they've just added a new bass player and that takes some acclimating). Also King is getting a ton of exposure and a chance to see what those festival crowds (as well as the general public) really like about his work, as opposed to this forum, where everyone is a drooling fan.

As far as the studio, I highly doubt that King would go to the trouble to build a studio in his home if he had no intention of releasing new material. I also predict that there will be a lot more harmony vocal overdubs on the new record; since he no longer has to pay for studio time to do vocals, he can take his time getting his creations to sound precisely the way he wants. [insert Freddie Mercury joke here]

I say give the guy a break. Touring is hard on people and I'm sure he himself can't wait to have a slew of new songs to play at his shows. But finishing this tour is an important step in the new album recording cycle as well, and shouldn't be dismissed as a mere cash grab.

Offline TheUnborn

• Haunted
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 07:33:03 AM »
The BabyMetal was a little bit of a joke  :icon_wink:. That song I spoke of is actually good though. Like I said it's out of thirst for some new metal. But maybe the new album from his old band mates will hit the spot :king: Wish it would have been new Mercyful Fate. This will do for now. I guess King can take his time as Hopefully he is layering vocals like Abigail II and which does takes time.

There are bands releasing brilliant albums all the time, you just need to look more to the lesser known acts. Personally I wish there was more than 24 hours a day, cause there isn't enough time to listen to all the great music being released.

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
  • Doomed by the living dead!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 12:16:44 PM »
....cause there isn't enough time to listen to all the great music being released.

Time, my biggest problem.  :(
Than there's still the old stuff i'd like listening to too on a daily basis, besides the new stuff.

Time... time... time is always passing by
Doesn't matter where you are
Time is passing us by
What a beautiful moment
If we took it away
We could use it on some other day
Use it on some other day    \m/

Anyway, a new record will be released when it needs to be released, which might be sooner than we think or even hope.
It will be worth the wait.    \m/

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:17:07 PM by Bub »
nah

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 12:56:42 AM »
I am in the minority here, as I don't think a new album is absolutely needed, but I love the lack of fanboy-ism in U-94's post --including the Baby Metal joke some of us didn't seem to get. :icon_lol:

So said, the other day Livia said here they're being very cautious about what they declare publicly, because of the expectations and then the frustrations the teasing and then the "unrelease" of those DVDs caused. Understandable.

Again, I would certainly buy any new album from King Diamond, but I strongly prefer they focused on the Abigail tour DVD.

Cheers!

Offline cacaman

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • BAGUETTE OF DOOM
Giving up on the new album?
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 01:40:02 AM »
Again, I would certainly buy any new album from King Diamond, but I strongly prefer they focused on the Abigail tour DVD.

Exactly my thoughts.
An Abigail Tour DVD would be rad. Can't wait to crank it up and stay glued to my screen.

As for a new album, it would be cool but imo it is not necessary for the moment. Back in 2007 i was thrilled with "Gimme Your Soul" cause it was new but in retrospect i think its a pretty average / bad album with a lame story and recycled / bland riffs. King Diamond needs a top-notch story line for a new concept, and intricate melodies. I don't care if a new release like this takes a few years more. I will wait.

Offline U-94

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 06:08:39 AM »
Let me clarify something else about frustration - when King was first recovering from health issues, several interviews had him saying he had all these crazy experiences in the hospital and lots of ideas for the next album. It sounded like he couldn't wait to write it all down. Then 5 years went by...

I also heard a rumor that stuff had been recorded but was deleted for not being 'good enough'. (The Bolt Thrower excuse)

Offline DirtbikeDave917

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 06:15:02 AM »
I'm sure King is going to wait till the Abigail tour is all done and finished before he releases a DVD of the show.

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Lurker From The Dark
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
Im fairly sure the album is still in the works I do agree King has not said much on the subject at  all. Though one must consider being on tour plus life obligations people places work outside of music and the hair pulling process of writing rehearsing playing recording mixing mastering and producing an album make it very time consuming to say the least.

And more important make it a great album which fans will love  allot  goes into the making of an album at the pro level.  I myself expect the album soon but if that is not a reality right away I am confident enough to say there is probably a good reason for any delay.

+    Stay heavy  \m/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:05:34 PM by Shadowswhisper »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline TheUnborn

• Haunted
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Obviously there will be more albums, but the band (yes, the BAND, this is a band) are more than occupied with the current tour. And I can only image all the preparations that has gone into it. King Diamond went into a hiatus with Kings health, and it is time to harvest the fruit and travel around the globe and finally give the fans the ultimate King Diamond-package which they are currently doing with the current tour before they go back into their shelter and start writing new material. In all honesty, who are we to complain?

Yes, there has gone a lot of time since the last record for obvious reasons, but for f*cks sake, King Diamond is back and has the world at their feet playing for bigger crowds than ever in their career. Let them!!

For die hard fans such as myself (I can promise you, I am a more dedicated fan than 95% of the people on this forum), I know we are impatient for a new album, but we need to look at it from a different perspective in this day and age. Recording and releasing a new album doesn't put food on the table anymore. For classic old school bands its all about touring and doing their best on the stage, as fans don't f*cking buy albums anymore, they are scum and download. If you feel accused, well, burn!

Let King Diamond do whatever they want at this point, they are giving us the best metal show out there at this very moment. Total respect.

HAIL KING DIAMOND!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:46:07 PM by TheUnborn »

Offline Felicia

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 12:46:39 AM »
Grace, first, thanks :) Discussion should be a range of topics..and I am glad the is one happening.
Next on the topic but of new album, I can understand where the frustration lies here. It's not so much in King Diamonds responsibility, but the overall state of metal. What I hear in the US packaged as new metal. It's not so good! Lol!
I'm not so sure why this is, I can guess that lack of recorded music sales due to downloaded music but is partly to blame here.
As far as King Diamond, I'm just glad first they are able to exist. Sure it's a bummer that the last albums were released remastered greatest hits, however given all circumstances, I tend not to be critical about it at all. Rather greatful for good health so they can still do what they are passionate about, playing music.
Anyways, this being said, I hope a new album is sooner than later...and it is well worth the wait. A solid good story that is creative and well rounded..is always worth the wait..it could be worse we could be George RR Martin fans waiting for the Game of Thrones book...oh forget I said that...lol
Take Care ;)

Offline desecrator_of_soul

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
  • Oh Satan, I beseech thee to have mercy on my soul!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 06:08:57 PM »
The time that has elapsed since King has first commented on the new album is a good thing.. More time spent on a work of art generally implies that the art is going to have a labor of love put into it than if the album was rushed for these demanding Orwellian-nightmare fans. “ :viking: We want tour- we want dvd- we want new album- now now now now- what’s taking so long!?” shut the hell up already! Hahaha. Take that DVD for instance, people have been clamoring over it for the past decade as if they’re being deprived of water, yet you know it’s just going to end up under their cummy socks a week after they finally obtain it, probably never to be watched again (after only watching 3 songs then changing it back to a marathon of Gilmore Girls). I think the people who make these threads are just reeeeeaally bored.

Short attention span + Misguided sense of entitlement + Impatience + Lack of empathy or understanding - Ability to write music themselves = Complaining King Diamond Fan.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:09:46 PM by desecrator_of_soul »

Offline U-94

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 07:42:09 AM »
I don't really care about the DVD (or any band's DVD in general) as I can always find a nice video to watch on YouTube for free. Plus, I saw the Abigail tour last November. Even without that, I saw King live before. I don't need a DVD. I'd prefer a documentary film about each album instead.

Offline Felicia

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2016, 12:43:41 AM »
Lol! Desecrator of souls, that is the scariest,funniest, and most disturbing mental imagery on what would happen to a new album or DVD.. haha. Greatful I haven't seen one episode of Gilmore girls..whatever that is, if it's like the socks it can't be good.  :D
Personally I just float around here when I have some free time between traveling. I would love another story, album from king diamond. Why not? If I said I didn't I would be full of it.. as a fan whose seen the band live so many times, I have lost count, I don't really feel the demand for a DVD . But to someone in say south America, I see why it would be wanted.
Perhaps the next album should be about the socks and Gilmore girls...hmm...lol just a funny idea!!!!    :diabo_do_msn:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:45:03 AM by Felicia »

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »
It's kinda weird seeing some of us not caring a lot about a live DVD/CD. No matter how many times you've seen them live, a live package remains at least a good souvenir of the performances you've attended to, doesn't it? But well, to each their own thing, I guess. :) My side, a live package would be my first choice by far. A new album would be fine too, but I don't think anyway the band can break any ground at this point. OK, I already said all that, right? :gah:

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 05:57:58 AM »
They are at it and will be at it when the tour is over be sure of that. I met King at a session thing in Copenhagen after the show at Copenhell, where he told old stories from when Mercyful Fate started and he did indeed comment that they are at work with the new album, he is thinking of getting an old school vibe on this one, I do believe he mentioned Abigail becuase they had been playing that album at the tour. The album will come, but not until King is sompletely satisfied. This time he can do whatever he wants with the album as most of it will be recorded in his home.

I say it again. The album is coming.