Author Topic: Why did King make Dallas his residence?  (Read 25958 times)

Offline Scumdog

• Mad Arab
  • Poop Ship Destroyer
Why did King make Dallas his residence?
« on: June 08, 2007, 08:20:53 pm »
Specifically, this question is for Livia. Why, of all places, did King decide to move to Dallas? Not that I have anything against it (I live in Waco), but it just seems an unusual choice for someone from Denmark to choose. Normally artists/entertainers from other countries that come to America tend to live New York, LA, or other coastal cities.

Oh, and when I first came to the board I posted a story that a guy on another board told me. I'm just posting it again cause I thought it was a  neat anecdote and involves Dallas.

Funny story..........I work outside and I am in and out of alot of high end suburbs throughout the day. Last year, I saw King Diamond mowing his grass with a pushmower  He lives just north of Dallas. It was pretty hilarious. The King mowing his grass...........I will never forget that.

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
Re: Why did King make Dallas his residence?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 01:27:45 pm »
Yeah! I read an interview in which King said that he went in New York for working reasons, but he found it too chaotic for him. Then he chose Dallas, 'cause there's the right balance between quiet and action.

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 06:09:13 pm »
I´ve read in an interview that King compared Dallas with Copenhagen, Denmark...he said it reminds him of Denmark...

Offline camarochick

• Superpostwhore
  • Toward the Unknown
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 06:15:48 pm »
I have some friends in Dallas- great weather if you like it warm.  I love going there to race with them and shop.  Harry Hines Blvd. is a fun place to shop too! :gah:

Offline Scumdog

• Mad Arab
  • Poop Ship Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:51 pm »
I have some friends in Dallas- great weather if you like it warm.

You've obviously never been here at this time of year. And if you have, allow me to replace the word "warm" with "Sweltering" :D

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 06:57:40 pm »
Any racing near Dallas? That might have something to do with it...?
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Scumdog

• Mad Arab
  • Poop Ship Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 07:03:31 pm »
Any racing near Dallas? That might have something to do with it...?

yep. Texas Motor Speedway

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 07:04:30 am »
I read King don't regret Europe so much.

And about racing, you know it's the other King's passion! :cool:

Offline megalodonbite

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 07:08:25 am »
He was most likely able to locate a house suitable for his studio in Dallas also. 

every thing that has nipples

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 08:23:31 am »
Being a huge racing fan myself it is cool to hear that King is likewise one.

Though truthfully I am more into the Tucson local circuit or dirt track racing than the overly commercial NASCAR spectacle. I like to get out every week to watch sprint cars, factory stocks, and various open wheel modifieds.

Offline blakkheart

• Banshee
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 06:43:22 pm »
Hear in Lancaster just south of Dallas.  There are a few houses that remind me of Amon.  I have a couple of pics of it.  It would be so cool to see King get that house. LOL It has alot of land.

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 03:59:27 pm »
this is a good ?
id also like to know the answer!

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 06:27:50 am »
i have also read that it was because it was more quiet and kinda like Denmark, i think i have that interview somewhere :gah:

Offline Madman 666

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:37 pm »
Heres the full story. 

King decided to move to the US for business reasons (i.e. being closer to the label and what not).  He originally chose LA but didnt like the fast paced life and moved back to Denmark.  I think he lived there in like 89-90.  Around 93 or 94 he moved to Dallas because his wife at the time was from that area.  I remember reading an interview where the guys asks what high school she went to and that he saw him walking around there one day because they were back visiting.  I shit you not!  This guy saw King Diamond at his high school. 

Anyway, hes lived in a few suburbs...they mention the one he lived in at the time.  Later he moved to Denton but I think he moved yet again.  I dont know what suburb he lives in, not that its any of our business, but its still in the Dallas area. 

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 07:16:54 pm »
There's lots of texmex, too...

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 07:45:34 pm »
Yeah, Dallas is a pretty cool city, anyway. It's pretty laid back, lots to do there. The waterfountain scene from the movie Logan's Run was filmed there, or in neighboring Ft. Worth, I can't remember which.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 07:49:26 pm »
The Cowboys are doing pretty good, too. the best in the NFC right now...

Offline Scumdog

• Mad Arab
  • Poop Ship Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 10:08:26 pm »
Heres the full story. 

King decided to move to the US for business reasons (i.e. being closer to the label and what not).  He originally chose LA but didnt like the fast paced life and moved back to Denmark.  I think he lived there in like 89-90.  Around 93 or 94 he moved to Dallas because his wife at the time was from that area.  I remember reading an interview where the guys asks what high school she went to and that he saw him walking around there one day because they were back visiting.  I shit you not!  This guy saw King Diamond at his high school. 

Anyway, hes lived in a few suburbs...they mention the one he lived in at the time.  Later he moved to Denton but I think he moved yet again.  I dont know what suburb he lives in, not that its any of our business, but its still in the Dallas area. 

I didn't know King ever lived in Denton, but Matt does.

I've read that king has lived in a few different Dallas suburbs, but I won't list them because of the stalkers :fingers:

Offline BAAL

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 11:43:57 am »
...not sure, but I think he lives in Sherman, Tx

BAAL

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 12:30:54 pm »
^ isn't Sherman a different city? Like,north of Dallas,but still...another city :)
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline Scumdog

• Mad Arab
  • Poop Ship Destroyer
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 01:06:05 am »
^ isn't Sherman a different city? Like,north of Dallas,but still...another city :)

Sherman is a good ways north of Dallas. Its almost to Oklahoma. its not really part of the dallas/ft.worth metroplex area, at least not in the same way Denton is for example
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:07:38 am by Scumdog »

Offline Demon1

• The Preacher
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 06:13:26 pm »
Dallas is a really cool city. Nice weather, if you like it hot. he lives closer to Dallas than Sherman. Frisco is a real nice 'burb.  So is Plano and, well any suburb north is real nice as far as I'm concerned. It was great to see him at the OzzFest concert, which was in Frisco. :fingers:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:26:53 pm by Demon1 »
Darkness Never Comes Too Soon.

Offline Haplo

• Unborn
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »
I think he lived there in like 89-90.  Around 93 or 94 he moved to Dallas because his wife at the time was from that area.

Severe necropost, but I saw this, and I'd like to correct this. I know King Diamond moved here to Dallas in the early to mid 80's because he frequented one of the same clubs I did along with Pantera called The Basement (the club has since closed, but was in an area known as Lower Greenville). I first saw him there in 1986, and it was known then he lived here.

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 03:38:53 pm »
Sorry, I did not see this thread! :)

Here's the real story :)

Originally, King first moved to LA, but he didn't like the fast paced life and some of the mentality.

Then he moved to Texas, to Carrolton (because his ex-wife was from there). Also, because he really liked the southern hospitality, the mild winters (he had many years of 6 month long winters in Denmark :) ), and the slower pace that was similar to Denmark.

He then moved to the North Dallas suburbs (back in 1995), where we currently live.

Texas Motor Speedway being close was a bonus :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:39:44 pm by Livia Zita »
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline camarochick

• Superpostwhore
  • Toward the Unknown
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 06:53:10 pm »
So, King picked a place  (like anyone else would) that suited him best. Logic at its best! Thank you for the response Livia; though I must ask how you're enjoying the southern charm and weather in the Dallas area. Do you miss the cold, snowy winters at all?