Author Topic: The Graveyard background?  (Read 564 times)

Offline 8thson

• Unborn
The Graveyard background?
« on: May 27, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »
Hi all, I'm new here. I've recently been really enjoying the Graveyard, an album I never gave much of a chance for whatever reason. Anyway, I was hoping that some of you could help me with some background on the record... After the Eye, KD (band) was on hiatus. Then SL was released. Next, The Graveyard came out. However, I have read conflicting things about the album's origins. I have read that it was recorded in 1991, and I've also read that it was written in 1991. Do any of you know if either of these are true? And, if so in either scenario, why did it not come out until after SL? Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I have not been able to find very good info on it!

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
Re: The Graveyard background?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »
From what I gather, Spider's Lullaby was written in 90-91, but not released until 95. Graveyard was released in 96.

I think changing record companies, and the Mercyful Fate reunion at the time were factors in the delay of SL being recorded. Just a guess on my part, and anyone is free to correct me (and PLEASE DO!!)   \m/

Offline 8thson

• Unborn
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:06:16 PM »
Thanks! So you are saying that Spiders Lulaby was written and recorded before the graveyard (to your knowledge)? This makes total sense of course... I had just heard otherwise, which I thought was weird!

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
Written but probably not recorded.

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Lurker From The Dark
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 01:36:12 AM »
That is i believe correct i remember seeing in 95 a add in one of the metal magazines i do not remember which the legendary King diamond returns with a brand new album I remember Danzig being on the front cover about a week later on Wsou was actually getting a tattoo  at the time and In the moonlight came on the radio shortly after i went to vintage vinyl and bought Spiders Lullaby.

That was a really heavy album concept as well as straightforward.  Songs like Six feet under  Killer  and In the moonlight did not fit the concept obviously but really impressed me musically.

Stay Heavy  \m/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:38:43 AM by Shadowswhisper »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »
In The Shadows booklet says: 'special thaks to Andy LaRocque, Snowy Shaw, Mike Wead and Sharlee D'Angelo... (blah blah) ...I can't wait for us to start recording the next King Diamond LP The Spiders Lullabye'. So obviously it was recorded sometime after 1993.