Author Topic: The Graveyard - Lucy.  (Read 968 times)

Offline TheUnborn

• Haunted
The Graveyard - Lucy.
« on: September 01, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »
I remember buying The Graveyard when it was released in 1996. But there are still some things I wonder about the story.
I consider this album to be one of the very darkest and depraved works of King Diamond. A terribly underrated masterpiece.

-

One thing about the story I'm a bit puzzled about. In the song "I'm Not A Stranger", King tells us that Lucy 'must be at least seven years of age'. She could even be eight or nine for all he knows, it's just a guess. But then in the song "Sleep Tight Little Baby", it's like Lucy is a little baby. She cries like she is three years old or something. And she is referred to, as the title of the songs says, a little baby. It's like she is a little baby that he has to carry in his arms and put into the coffin before he buries her in one of the seven graves.
But then again in the song Lucy Forever, she is old enough to put the head of King in her backpack and walk home with her daddy.

How old is Lucy exactly?
Maybe I'm just looking too deep into the story.

-

And the biggest question of all, what the hell is happening during the first 2:10 minutes of the song Daddy?

-

Thanks for any theories!

Offline ilmothedude

• Spirit
Re: The Graveyard - Lucy.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
I definitely agree, The Graveyard is real masterpiece. Even though King's albums are impossible to rank, it's one of my favorites.

You know, first times I listened the album I wondered excact same thing as you about "Sleep Tight Little Baby" and still do actually. I don't know how it's explained, but we should keep in mind that main character was really lunatic, so it might have been partially his imagination. Afterall whole case might had been in his sick mind and McKenzie was actually innocent, and lunatic was one who was obsessive towards Lucy right from start, especially line "Lucy... Come to DADDY" on "Up from the Grave" gives impression of this possibility. Also I don't think that Lucy really put lunatic's head on her backpack as that sounds so absurd, but that was more like near death illusions. As for "Daddy", I believe I read it somewhere and it was stated maybe even King himself on some interview that lunatic saw/felt presence of his own daddy in graveyard who watched him with condemning look on his face. That's why lunatic is pleading "Daddy don't look at me like that
I didn't do it...HE did...It was HIM". I myself wonder why lunatic would feel his daddy is condeming him, if he wasn't done anything... It would be more like that his subconscious knows truth, and it appears in his daddy's form.

Hope that gives some answers and thoughts. :)
The power I get from the chain is mine,
Only I can use it!

Offline Hamisato

• Unborn
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:34 AM »
I'm sure your message is very good. Get a lot of benefits.

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 04:00:13 AM »
Daddy is a ghost of the main character's father.

Offline TheUnborn

• Haunted
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 10:18:07 PM »
I definitely agree, The Graveyard is real masterpiece. Even though King's albums are impossible to rank, it's one of my favorites.

You know, first times I listened the album I wondered excact same thing as you about "Sleep Tight Little Baby" and still do actually. I don't know how it's explained, but we should keep in mind that main character was really lunatic, so it might have been partially his imagination. Afterall whole case might had been in his sick mind and McKenzie was actually innocent, and lunatic was one who was obsessive towards Lucy right from start, especially line "Lucy... Come to DADDY" on "Up from the Grave" gives impression of this possibility. Also I don't think that Lucy really put lunatic's head on her backpack as that sounds so absurd, but that was more like near death illusions. As for "Daddy", I believe I read it somewhere and it was stated maybe even King himself on some interview that lunatic saw/felt presence of his own daddy in graveyard who watched him with condemning look on his face. That's why lunatic is pleading "Daddy don't look at me like that
I didn't do it...HE did...It was HIM". I myself wonder why lunatic would feel his daddy is condeming him, if he wasn't done anything... It would be more like that his subconscious knows truth, and it appears in his daddy's form.

Hope that gives some answers and thoughts. :)

Thanks for the elaborate answer.
Yes, I've also thought about the theory that King in this story might have been abused himself in his childhood and that it has damaged his mental state, which is why he was placed in the Black Hill Sanitarium in the first place.

It's a dark story indeed. I'm still amazed each time I play this album.