Author Topic: "Give Me Your Soul" Story Makes No Sense to Me  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Mirhagon

• Unborn
"Give Me Your Soul" Story Makes No Sense to Me
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:41:54 PM »
1. Why would the little boy be condemned to hell as a suicide because his Dad murdered him with an axe? A mistake? Oh, that explains everything...

2. What kind of system is it that allows you to go to heaven instead hell, as long as you come back in spirit form and steal the soul of an innocent person? Isn't that kind of behavior the reason your going to hell in the first place?

3. Why does the man who's been terrorized by spirits, who are trying to steal his soul, suddenly become
sympathetic when they can't, and urge them to hurry and go kill someone else?

I'd love nothing more than for someone to explain these things to me. Musically, this album is superb, but I cannot get past this awful and unfulfilling story. 

Offline Magistralium

• Banshee
  • Form itself is emptiness; emptiness itself is form
    • Viraga
Re: "Give Me Your Soul" Story Makes No Sense to Me
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:14:34 PM »
Use your imagination!

I think that art should - and must be - interpreted by everyone for themselves. Not to say "this is absolutely this and only this" by the artist - or even by others, who interpret it. Just my opinion.

Maybe King will explain it though (as for some parts already has in some interviews).

But for why, you ask: I'd go with imagination once more. There could be countless reasons for King's behavior in that story. And why the spirits think, that something would do the trick, even if it really wouldn't.
What you think you can hold as your own
Will be taken away

Offline Mistform

• Spirit
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »
well.. i would say that there has been a mistake in the 'spirit court' since the boy yells that there has been a mistake... since the album is in realtime we cant know for sure what mistake, could be some paper work.
secondly the system about heaven or hell must be the fact that suicide is a sin, that's why the girl needs the soul without a sin so the brother wont go to hell, what she doesent think about is also that stealing is a sin, so if she succeeded she might as well go to hell (who knows)
i can't answer the third question since i don't know it myself, but i think, that when he sees the girl crying he feel sorry for her, he saw a vision of the murder, and he feels that there's still some time for them to get a good life in heaven ? of course I cant know for sure, that's why i love give me your soul SO ***** much, it allows you to think in your own way. the lyrics is only half the story, you have to imagine the rest yourself. and that allows everyone to have their own opinion in what happened.  :king:

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »
I can't remember where I read it, but recently either in a book or in a movie, someone said" Ghosts are usually insane and we as people inherently know this, that is why they scare us."

So just go with it man.
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 04:40:51 PM »
I agree the "plot" of the new disc is tenuous at best and has more holes in it than Father Malone's head. Fatal Portrait and Spider's Lullaby have a more consistent start-to-finish story line than the new one.

This does not change the fact that this may be the best King Diamond cd since "Abigail," plot or no plot.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Slaytanic

• King Of Pain
  • \m/ \m/
    • Metal You Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »
Use your imagination!

I think that art should - and must be - interpreted by everyone for themselves. Not to say "this is absolutely this and only this" by the artist - or even by others, who interpret it. Just my opinion.

My opinion too. 

It is the whole point of art, if we all saw it the same then it would be a very boring world indeed.

Offline Spooky

• Witches' Eye
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »
1. Why would the little boy be condemned to hell as a suicide because his Dad murdered him with an axe? A mistake? Oh, that explains everything...
Yes... A "mistake". The judges confuse his soul with his dads... So they think he's the one who killed himself

2. What kind of system is it that allows you to go to heaven instead hell, as long as you come back in spirit form and steal the soul of an innocent person? Isn't that kind of behavior the reason your going to hell in the first place?
Noone said it's actually going to work... It's just a little girl trying to save her brother from going to hell... I guess she doesn't realize that it's the soul that's going to hell - not the body... So it probably wouldn't help finding another soul for the boy's body

3. Why does the man who's been terrorized by spirits, who are trying to steal his soul, suddenly become
sympathetic when they can't, and urge them to hurry and go kill someone else?
First of all, he sees what happened to the girl and the boy... He understand that she doesn't want to hurt anyone... she just want to save her brother... Second, if he convinces the girl to move on to someone else, he will be left alone... So he urges her to move on before she finds out if hes soul if actually damned or not (she is ready to take it right before he says that he has sinned... So she couldn't have found anything wrong with it when she was looking)... he's just trying to save himself :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:57:19 PM by Spooky »
-Life is like a penis... When it's hard, you get screwed... When it's soft, you can't beat it-

-Poli

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 07:34:55 PM »
The story sounds fine to me.
And I like that its about a haunting.
But I never really thought about it in depth, because the story is not incredibly important to me. The music is number 1.
You guys made some good points here, I never thought of.

But I agree with Magistralium. That is, to use your imagination and interpret it your own way. The beauty of art and poetry I think too, is that there is no one way to see it, everyone interprets it differently. And also, we don't really know what happens after death. Maybe there could be mistakes, who knows.

Offline Mirhagon

• Unborn
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 01:07:59 AM »
   As for using imagination, that only goes so far, and then your just
choosing to ignore major plot holes or inconsistencies. Which is fine if
you can manage to do so, and still enjoy the more satisfying aspects of a
story, but in my case I find the whole story rather poorly conceived.

I'm sure others will agree with me about the story and still choose to
defend the album because of its musical merits alone. I agree that,
musically, the album is superbly written and performed, but for me, the
music and story of a King Diamond album are not separate, unrelated
things which can be enjoyed independently of each other.

I don't enjoy criticizing King Diamond. His work is genius and fearlessly
innovative, but I just can't help but feel that he has fallen terribly
below his usual standard with the story of "Give Me Your Soul...Please",
and I am totally confused how anyone could rank it above any of his
previous works, other than "House of God" or "Abigail II".

That being said, I will be anxiously awaiting his next album, which I
most devotedly pray, to all available deities and pagan spirits, will not
be a sequel to this one.

Offline NightProwler

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 03:14:38 AM »
well, I can tell you made your homework before posting and braging here...
the ending is not made for a sequel! the girl says "I'm moving on... to this house" - which means she is coming inside the listeners home! doooh!

will u stop bitchin if u don't know shit about the story?

Offline Mzzz

• One Of "Them"
  • Beware... of the Daytime Moon.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 03:16:40 AM »
Well, I like the story
I like the CD
And king is the best.
So.
I am many, we are one, the highest.

Offline maarten.

• The mother of postwhores!
  • NCS Team
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 08:03:58 AM »
   As for using imagination, that only goes so far, and then your just
choosing to ignore major plot holes or inconsistencies. Which is fine if
you can manage to do so, and still enjoy the more satisfying aspects of a
story, but in my case I find the whole story rather poorly conceived.

I'm sure others will agree with me about the story and still choose to
defend the album because of its musical merits alone. I agree that,
musically, the album is superbly written and performed, but for me, the
music and story of a King Diamond album are not separate, unrelated
things which can be enjoyed independently of each other.

just a question, what do you think of the story of The Graveyard, that one is full of holes too, because a lunatic is telling the story
here is king telling the story and he don't know everything, so the holes in it are because he don't know everything what has happened with the boy and girl, he just tells us what happens on that moment.
( haven't heard the album before, so i don't know if it's true what i say, but reading the interviews, i think it would be someting like that)

Neffie's penguin's

Offline Maggotcrusher666

• You Are "9"
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 11:29:48 AM »
the ending is not made for a sequel! the girl says "I'm moving on... to this house" - which means she is coming inside the listeners home! doooh!

Its obvious he/she read the story and has gathered all the information given in the lyrics.  I too have read it multiple times but lets face it there are plenty of plot holes and the story over all really doesn't go anywhere.  I also hate to say anything negative about King Diamond because I love the band so much and no matter what I'll end up buying the eventual tour shirt for the album, the regular vinyl and the picture disc so you can see that I'm not trying to be negative towards the band.  In all honesty this is probably his weakest story ever and I really don't think using my imagination is the answer here.  With Abigail, THEM, or even newer albums like House of God I never had to look the other way towards major plot holes and I'm not about to start now.

And just the line "I'm moving on to THIS house" doesn't always read the same for everyone that has listened to the album.  Without hearing countless interviews beforehand I really don't think that I would have thought that the little girl was intending to move on to the listeners house right away.

Offline Mistform

• Spirit
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »
I totally agree with you maarten, and since it happens in real time it would sound REALLY crappy if he sang for instance : i see a floating head, and then explain who she is, her past etc... i think its great king lets the listeners decide the persons in the story's past

Offline Mirhagon

• Unborn
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 02:28:08 PM »

You really shouldn't have bothered with this reply. My comment about a possible sequel was irrelevant fluff, and not really related to my critiquing of the album's story. If you read and comprehended both of my posts, and this is the only argument you can raise, then you are a fool. Please eat shit and die...as soon as physically possible.

Offline miranda

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 05:12:29 PM »
this thread is doomed

i can feel it comen
Praise the Lard

Offline camarochick

• Superpostwhore
  • Toward the Unknown
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 05:19:13 PM »
this thread is doomed

i can feel it comen
Me too. Where's TK?

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »
Me too. Where's TK?
here. there's no reason to close it, as anyone who has been here long enough will know that we discuss "plot holes" and shit like that. If the thread goes south? Yes, then it will be locked, but so far it is ok.

Mirhagon, I encourage you to ask these questions, and in time I am sure we will have good answers for you.

And shit guys, ALL the stories have plot holes here and there. some real, some imagined. Hell, even if he wrote a 500 page novel and tied up everything, I'm sure we would still find a hole or two..

mmm...holes.... :cool:

Offline Maya Magdalena

• Vix
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 02:56:08 PM »
Ok! just read lyrics! they are awesum, they're getting better with every release...they present it all so well...  I can picture every scene, I feel the dark, even if I'm not there in real. The cold! I would die from fear on the place of this guy (King ^.^) My note? Masterpiece. Love it.

I'd love to read a book written by King. I always wanted to have white hair :D

PS: I saw your hole remark, TK: u can run, but u cant hide XD
All your base are belong to us.

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »
It is a simple gather around the camp fire BOO at the end Ghost Story...The Best Kind! :king:
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.